GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Big oof, I think I’m finally reaching this point now that I’ve crossed over the 100k mi mark. Heard some mysterious popping/clunking over bumps recently.

Glad to hear this. I’ll add it to my never ending list of future mods to get lol

I never had any clunking until I removed the subframe for something and then the clunking popping started. If it sounds like it's coming from under your feet it's probably that. The car should have come with a dead set kit from the factory.

lol, my man you installed a K04 in your car in a freakin' parking garage. In terms of difficulty dropping the subframe is closer to removing the wheels than what you've managed.

^this lol, that's next level shit

Are you gonna do your clutch like that too?!? That is more of a pain then a K04 install.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I never had any clunking until I removed the subframe for something and then the clunking popping started. If it sounds like it's coming from under your feet it's probably that. The car should have come with a dead set kit from the factory.

Suspension part torque specs are more of a "suggestion." May or may not require additional Newts to eliminate noises lol

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
^this lol, that's next level shit

Are you gonna do your clutch like that too?!? That is more of a pain then a K04 install.
I mean, I appreciate the compliment and everything, but I’m guessing you’re going to end up changing your clutch in an Autozone parking lot like it’s no big deal. I can’t hang with that.
Oh god I’m not sure if I can go through that again hahaha. I might just take it somewhere, we’ll see. The most intense thing I’d ever done before the K04 install was a rear sway bar on my old Acura TSX so I was sweating bullets the whole time. :ROFLMAO:

There’s definitely a couple things not put on in factory spec but she runs great and has no leaks so I’m just gonna pretend it didn’t happen lol

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Dropping the front subframe really isn’t so bad. It looks more difficult than it is.
Beat me to it. It's not bad at all, you don't have to fully remove the subframe, just loosen the bolts and lower it about 2 inches.
Suspension part torque specs are more of a "suggestion." May or may not require additional Newts to eliminate noises lol
Stop that.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
So what mods ~ Black Friday deals are people looking forward to? I’ve haven’t participated for the last 4-5 years due to saving money. But now that I have the means to I am finally looking forward to it. I’m Looking into snagging some racingline stud conversions & maybe some detailing products :D
I've got my eyes on yet another stereo, but I don't think the Black Friday sales will make it any less expensive than I can get it for otherwise, I'll be keeping an eye on a few places though.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Get those fancy 2nd gen bfi mounts for $500 then report back thanks

Already got them, planning to install this weekend and will definitely report back. LOL

Might be in the market for the APR coils for the TTRS, got a CEL on the way home Friday, haven't scanned yet but thinking it's the spark plugs, never changed them after switching to the E85 tune and just hit 15k miles which is the replacement recommendation mileage replacement for the E85, or at least that's what it used to say. The new APR page doesn't seem to mention it.

torga

Autocross Champion
Get those fancy 2nd gen bfi mounts for $500 then report back thanks
I picked up their Stage 1 v2 mounts a couple of days ago, they'll be replacing my BSH mounts. I wasn't planning on buying them so soon, but they got knocked down to ~$370 for Black "Friday" and I swear they were $500 before that.... I'm not about to ask any questions in the case of a pricing mistake, so I just scooped 'em (which is how I got my Fluidampr pulley new for ~$220). I'm chasing a really strange chassis vibration on decel and I've traced it to either mounts or flywheel. It's definitely nothing to do with suspension, axles or wheels/tires -- I've ruled all that out.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I picked up their Stage 1 v2 mounts a couple of days ago, they'll be replacing my BSH mounts. I wasn't planning on buying them so soon, but they got knocked down to ~$370 for Black "Friday" and I swear they were $500 before that.... I'm not about to ask any questions in the case of a pricing mistake, so I just scooped 'em (which is how I got my Fluidampr pulley new for ~$220). I'm chasing a really strange chassis vibration on decel and I've traced it to either mounts or flywheel. It's definitely nothing to do with suspension, axles or wheels/tires -- I've ruled all that out.

I had a guy complaining about a rattle in his trans tunnel area under hard acceleration. It had stock mounts and it looked like the shift linkage was hitting the insulation/tunnel. He took me for a ride and his face was pretty funny when I told him that it wasn't engineered to handle the 800rwhp. I think he thought it was the transmission about to explode out of the bottom.

torga

Autocross Champion
I had a guy complaining about a rattle in his trans tunnel area under hard acceleration. It had stock mounts and it looked like the shift linkage was hitting the insulation/tunnel. He took me for a ride and his face was pretty funny when I told him that it wasn't engineered to handle the 800rwhp. I think he thought it was the transmission about to explode out of the bottom.
I wish mine was that easy. It's only on decel between 2.5k-3.0k RPM, regardless of gear. Specifically, it's engine decel – this also happens while stationary.
It's more pronounced on the road because generally when I decel, I'll still be in gear and the RPMs come down much more gradually, so the vibrations stick around longer.
The vibration is deep, too. Like it's coming through the subframe or engine mounts and resonating the chassis itself. If it's vibrating and I give it just a hair of throttle and then lift, the vibe is usually gone. It's always gone as soon as I start accelerating again.
I'm hoping it's mounts, but I can't rule out the flywheel yet. But I just find it hard to believe that it's the flywheel since I have no other symptoms of a bad flywheel.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I picked up their Stage 1 v2 mounts a couple of days ago, they'll be replacing my BSH mounts. I wasn't planning on buying them so soon, but they got knocked down to ~$370 for Black "Friday" and I swear they were $500 before that....

Yeah, I bought the Stg2 V2 a month or so ago for $534.

I've decided I am not buying anything next year after about July or so. Everything I want to buy I am just going to put the cash in my money market account, then I will just buy EVERYTHING in November. LOL

Vic_MKVI

Go Kart Newbie
I wish mine was that easy. It's only on decel between 2.5k-3.0k RPM, regardless of gear. Specifically, it's engine decel – this also happens while stationary.
It's more pronounced on the road because generally when I decel, I'll still be in gear and the RPMs come down much more gradually, so the vibrations stick around longer.
The vibration is deep, too. Like it's coming through the subframe or engine mounts and resonating the chassis itself. If it's vibrating and I give it just a hair of throttle and then lift, the vibe is usually gone. It's always gone as soon as I start accelerating again.
I'm hoping it's mounts, but I can't rule out the flywheel yet. But I just find it hard to believe that it's the flywheel since I have no other symptoms of a bad flywheel.

After I installed my apr dog bone mount I started getting some serious feedback from the subframe area at around 4k-5k on 5th gear.. still haven’t found the issue but double checked everything from engine to the trans mounts and its all within spec. 🤷🏻‍♂️

torga

Autocross Champion
After I installed my apr dog bone mount I started getting some serious feedback from the subframe area at around 4k-5k on 5th gear.. still haven’t found the issue but double checked everything from engine to the trans mounts and its all within spec. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I suspected that as well, since I've got the APR pendulum and both 034's billet inserts. I had it all apart a couple weeks ago and I didn't see anything wrong, billet inserts were in the right spots, nothing wrong with the OEM rubber, and the spherical bushing inside the APR pendulum was T I G H T. Put it all back together and no change at all with the weird feedback. Plus, this feedback issue only started happening a few months ago and I've had the APR/034 setup for over a year.

Vic_MKVI

Go Kart Newbie
I suspected that as well, since I've got the APR pendulum and both 034's billet inserts. I had it all apart a couple weeks ago and I didn't see anything wrong, billet inserts were in the right spots, nothing wrong with the OEM rubber, and the spherical bushing inside the APR pendulum was T I G H T. Put it all back together and no change at all with the weird feedback. Plus, this feedback issue only started happening a few months ago and I've had the APR/034 setup for over a year.
Interesting. I was thinking it was my dog bone mounts inside the inner subframe and maybe they were going bad from everything else being so tighten. I had my eye on the vwr pucks or hpa puck and seeing if that’ll correct the feedback..Been driving for at least 500-600miles with that feedback and still runs fine. I’m a dsg btw