GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

Phur

Autocross Champion
Already got them, planning to install this weekend and will definitely report back. LOL

Might be in the market for the APR coils for the TTRS, got a CEL on the way home Friday, haven't scanned yet but thinking it's the spark plugs, never changed them after switching to the E85 tune and just hit 15k miles which is the replacement recommendation mileage replacement for the E85, or at least that's what it used to say. The new APR page doesn't seem to mention it.
What year is your TTRS?

Vic_MKVI

Go Kart Newbie
Ended up buying a Rear Stress Bar powder coated black from Eurosport, Racingline 70mm studded kit, and (unreleased) v2 canards from FS Performance Engineering. Saved around $72 in total. 2 of the 3 are free shipping too. The other I’ll be picking up. Hopefully be able to take it out to streets of willow in CA soon.

torga

Autocross Champion
Ended up buying a Rear Stress Bar powder coated black from Eurosport, Racingline 70mm studded kit, and (unreleased) v2 canards from FS Performance Engineering. Saved around $72 in total. 2 of the 3 are free shipping too. The other I’ll be picking up. Hopefully be able to take it out to streets of willow in CA soon.
Let us know how you like the Racingline stud kit! Been curious about it for what seems like over a year.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Been mia for a while focusing on other stuff but getting ready to start tearing the car down once I fix the daily I just got into the garage. Anyone see any reason why this turbo wouldn't work well on our cars? Seems to be pretty close in specs to the 2976 which was what I was looking at before, but is much cheaper and a journal bearing vs ball bearing. Was thinking of going with a T4 twin scroll with a .83A/R which I think would give a good spool time and enough room to get 450-475 to the wheels. There's a shop nearby that i'd have make a manifold for me and i'll probably do a custom intake setup coming in from the passenger side which are the main issues I can think of.
https://agpturbo.com/borg-warner-s257-sx-e-57-61-12769095003/

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Sig check says 2018. If you can't see on your device, try flipping sideways. 👌

This IS the stupid question thread. ;):ROFLMAO:

BTW, the CEL in the TTRS turned out to be two "lean off idle" codes, so that's not great. I just switched it to 93 octane for the winter (I run it on E85 normally but don't drive it in the winter, don't like letting it sit with E85 in the tank) but the codes came up on my way HOME from work and it's about 96 miles one way to work so not like it was from switching over, tank was down to about 1 gallon or so of E85 when I filled it with 93 anyway.

Phantom boost leak in the R, weird lean codes in the TTRS.......I freaking hate 2020. So help me if the Touareg develops an issue I'm going to lose it.

torga

Autocross Champion
Excuse me, did you say 96 miles ONE-WAY to work? Damn, and I thought my 30mi RT to work was bullshit and annoying (used to be 11mi RT).

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Excuse me, did you say 96 miles ONE-WAY to work? Damn, and I thought my 30mi RT to work was bullshit and annoying (used to be 11mi RT).
Mine used to be 23mi each way and it was soul sucking. Couldn’t imagine 96 lol

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I'm 90ish RT. Yikes. All highway?

Thumper

Autocross Champion

Yup, 96 miles ONE WAY. lol Not all highway that way, it's a state highway, then some surface streets to cross over to a bypass, and then onto an interstate, then onto another state highway, then surface streets and interchanges. I could go all highway (state highway to interstate to state highway) but that's about 101 miles, takes the same amount of time though because interstate is 70MPH most of the way. I switch between the different routes to keep life interesting.

So, yeah, I spend about 3 hours and a half hours a day driving to and from work. LMAO

It's temporary, I left the auto repair/insurance industry to move into tech, been planning it for years, got a break (I thought) with a mom and pop MSP but the owner turned out to be a psycho. Hired me knowing my entry skillset and most of my training in an area he didn't need. Yelled at me for not asking questions about exactly what needed to be done, then yelled at me for asking questions he deemed "moronic". Screamed at me over the phone while with a customer so loud the customer kind of coughed and left the room....LOL He had a super specific way he wanted everything done......and refused to tell you what that was, if you guessed you were wrong...if you had to ask you were wasting his time. First boss in my 26 years of working I could not please.

Anyway, had to jump ship after 3 months of that trainwreck and had to fall back on my decades of experience, took the first job I could find. We're going to have to move out of state in about 3-4 months for my wife's job so I will hopefully have my CCNA cert by then and be able to get into IT with a real company with a normal boss, and a normal commute.

torga

Autocross Champion
I haven't been able to find a straight answer online yet. Is the circled seal on this upper timing cover...

cover.png

...the same as this seal?

torga

Autocross Champion
Yup, 96 miles ONE WAY. lol Not all highway that way, it's a state highway, then some surface streets to cross over to a bypass, and then onto an interstate, then onto another state highway, then surface streets and interchanges. I could go all highway (state highway to interstate to state highway) but that's about 101 miles, takes the same amount of time though because interstate is 70MPH most of the way. I switch between the different routes to keep life interesting.

So, yeah, I spend about 3 hours and a half hours a day driving to and from work. LMAO

It's temporary, I left the auto repair/insurance industry to move into tech, been planning it for years, got a break (I thought) with a mom and pop MSP but the owner turned out to be a psycho. Hired me knowing my entry skillset and most of my training in an area he didn't need. Yelled at me for not asking questions about exactly what needed to be done, then yelled at me for asking questions he deemed "moronic". Screamed at me over the phone while with a customer so loud the customer kind of coughed and left the room....LOL He had a super specific way he wanted everything done......and refused to tell you what that was, if you guessed you were wrong...if you had to ask you were wasting his time. First boss in my 26 years of working I could not please.

Anyway, had to jump ship after 3 months of that trainwreck and had to fall back on my decades of experience, took the first job I could find. We're going to have to move out of state in about 3-4 months for my wife's job so I will hopefully have my CCNA cert by then and be able to get into IT with a real company with a normal boss, and a normal commute.
yeeeeesh, sorry you're having such a rough go of it right now. I'm glad you've got plans to get out of that, though! Cheers to your future success in IT.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Dealer/Shop techs/DIYers/anyone who’s had it replaced:

How many hours am I looking at to swap passenger door latch mechanism? Looks like mine gave up and not sure I feel like taking off a door skin...