GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The perfect GTD rear diffuser ?

Kevmoz

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone seen the one on the back of the Golf R style or what ever it's called? I popped in to Tesco earlier and there was one there with an R style rear diffuser but with twin pipes out of the near side only.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
It fits !!!!

I'm just back this weekend from my business trip to Saudi, and its been such a glorious weekend, i thought i would give the fitting of the diffuser a try.

i was lucky in that i managed to get the old diffuser off without any damage (in case it needed to go back then on), and then compared the fitting tabs on the old diffuser with the new one, and they all looked in the same position to me.

a bit of juggling and the new diffuser went on a treat. Secured underneath just aft of the rear wheel arches by the proper VW GTI style fitting brackets. Well pleased, even though it does highlight how weedy the factory tailpipes are in diameter (my wife's Polo Blue GT chimed tips i purchased for it, fit straight over the factory pipes !) Might have to find some larger ones at some stage.

Anyway, to the pictures, hope you like

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
If you didn't before, start from the middle (under the number plate) and work out both sides. The clips along the rear end need a good bang to get them in, but other than that, it was pretty straight forward. Of course there is the chance that perhaps yours wasn't moulded correctly to start with and maybe I just got lucky and mine was ?

The long and short of it, is that there was no trimming of the diffuser required at all.

Give it another go Pal, you never know ?

chrismc

Passed Driver's Ed
It's looks smart- however the lesser depth of the centre part exposes the exhaust pipework & perhaps makes the tails appear a bit lost.

I reckon some hi temp Matt black forward of the exhaust tails would finish the job

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
That's a great Idea Chris. Just did a quick Photoshop mock up and it looks much better

Would still like to get some bigger tailpipes though. Does anyone know a company that can do this (say from he rear axle backwards). I've contacted both Milltek and Cobra Sport (as they both do a GTI style twin exit system for the S&S pack cars), but neither do a system that retains the dual pipes on one side only like the stock GTD, and I'd rather not change the diffuser again for the GT style one.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Oh, and another question. When taking delivery of the wife's new Polo Blue GT, as they don't come with chromed tailpipes as standard, I got the dealer to throw a set in with the deal. I managed to remove the "old" units from her outgoing Blue GT to return it back to stock, and so have been left with a couple of spare mint tailpipes.

The little metal clips inside became damaged (and one detached) in the removal process, so I've removed them all from both trims, so the inside is now smooth. These tailpipe trims weirdly, fit like a glove over the GTD chrome tips and have a nice slash cut to them and look much better and beefier than the standard trims, so was thinking of using them as an "over" trim so to speak.

Trouble is whilst they just slide on, I have no idea how I will fix them in place, anyone have any ideas please ?

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Thanks hozb95, I'd already checked them out and spoken to them. They only do either the GTI style (twin outlets either side), or a GTD style but the full system only (i.e. CAT back) and I only need from the rear axle backwards.

chrismc

Passed Driver's Ed
That's a great Idea Chris. Just did a quick Photoshop mock up and it looks much better

Would still like to get some bigger tailpipes though. Does anyone know a company that can do this (say from he rear axle backwards). I've contacted both Milltek and Cobra Sport (as they both do a GTI style twin exit system for the S&S pack cars), but neither do a system that retains the dual pipes on one side only like the stock GTD, and I'd rather not change the diffuser again for the GT style one.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Looks a treat! I've always hated seeing exposed exhaust systems.

My Accord was bad as stock & has received the black paint treatment. Tidies it up a treat & totally stealthy.

Edit- for your bigger exhaust tips, if they are snug enough I'd suggest getting them spot welded on forward edge.

bigtallbloke

The first photo is with the standard valance painted gloss black
The second one is with the Rieger valance in all gloss black
The third is the same Rieger one but with the top edge colour coded
The fourth is as above from the side

Slightly off topic, but your wheels look great in the dark grey, I prefer that to my standard ones.

Attachments

• WP_20160321_14_19_08_Pro Small.jpg
    WP_20160321_14_19_08_Pro Small.jpg
    634.3 KB · Views: 3,850