GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The official "Post your deal!!!" thread

wantone

Ready to race!
Let me say this again.

MSRP includes freight but dealers (at least in this area) advertise their sale price without freight.

This is clearly deceptive marketing but they seem to get away with it.

Yes they do. They (manufacturers) ALL do it though unless you get about 50-60 miles outside the area. Even still I've traveled over 500 miles for my last 2 vehicles to purchase in the DC area because even after adding all the crap back in, the local dealers where I register my vehicle were well over $1000 more for exact same car and options. Some $2000 more. No way I'm staying local when they can't come close to competing with an $80 air ticket and 8 hour drive home.

IF it was just adding back in freight to the price, the lowest 2017 Sheehy GTI S DSG would be still a smoking deal. $16,998+$850=$17,848 before doc and TTL. Unfortunately they add in another $1500 it seems on top of their online price even before adding back in freight.

Now just trying to figure out what those incentives are.

DucatiSSsp

Passed Driver's Ed
If you drive a lot of miles, I'd go with the 2017. The extra $$'s for the 6 year/72k miles though is very enticing if you don't drive that much.
How's the carfax report???? Low mile trade-ins worry me....:confused:

GTI210

Ready to race!
What rebates do their online prices include that adds up to $1500 for you? Military, college and some sort of financing through them? Did you try to use a $500 SCCA certificate? I imagine they're adding the same to all their online pricing. They won't email back a price on any of their remaining 2017 GTI's listed at $16,998. I've tried with several different emails.

Military
College
Financing but only if your employer qualifies (mine doesn't)

I spoke to them briefly on the phone at the beginning. Gave them some basic info, told them I was out of state and that I prefer communicating through text/email because of work. Initial OTD price and subsequent negotiations have all been done through email. I assume I could've done the same for their 2017s. Maybe give them a call and try the same approach.

Can you provide more info on that SCCA certificate?

GTI210

Ready to race!
Thanks to everyone for their input btw.

Starting to lean towards the Autobahn. Kinda think I'll eventually get the urge to tune it so for the '18 either I'd have to wait 6 years/72k miles or be a big enough idiot to void such an amazing warranty. Neither option seems too enticing.

AmericanEnthusiast

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks to everyone for their input btw.

Starting to lean towards the Autobahn. Kinda think I'll eventually get the urge to tune it so for the '18 either I'd have to wait 6 years/72k miles or be a big enough idiot to void such an amazing warranty. Neither option seems too enticing.
Great choice either way. Good luck and post pics when you get it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wantone

Ready to race!
Military
College
Financing but only if your employer qualifies (mine doesn't)

I spoke to them briefly on the phone at the beginning. Gave them some basic info, told them I was out of state and that I prefer communicating through text/email because of work. Initial OTD price and subsequent negotiations have all been done through email. I assume I could've done the same for their 2017s. Maybe give them a call and try the same approach.

Can you provide more info on that SCCA certificate
?

SCCA program is $500 off negotiated price. Same exact thing as their Partner Program: http://www.vwpartnerprogram.com/ Costs $70 to join SCCA. Not all DC area dealers accept it however. https://www.scca.com/ You could contact them and see if they'll accept it. And if so, join asap. Hell do it in the parking lot and show them your active status on website.

I'm curious to the employer financing they require for $500 off. I can live with them tacking on $500 for college and $500 for military over their low online pricing, but never heard of the employer financing discount. Did they give you any specifics? That seems to be the additional $500 on top of their online pricing. IF they accepted the SCCA/Partner Program $500, that would offset pricing a smidge.

Then of course add on their $699 doc fee and $850 delivery fee. Still pretty low pricing after all their crap. They tried adding $400 to me for out of state costs last time I was there. I walked. These remaining 2017's are low enough for another go.

I've been in and out of a few dealerships lately. Feels pretty damn good to sit down with them in their environment thinking they have you and see what they come up with for final numbers and then tell them hell no to their face when it's still a ridiculous price or tons of addons. I know it takes my time, but the intimidation is long gone now. Kind of fun actually.

GTI210

Ready to race!
Damn it someone just snatched the Autobahn up. :(

This is the second GTI in a month that I've been on the verge of purchasing that got bought. First one gave me a heads up and told me placing a deposit would be wise but I overlooked it as he attached a bill of sale in the same email and I went straight to the attachment, this second one no heads up at all. I'm wondering if I'm being used as leverage by dealers to local customers since I'm an out of town buyer.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Damn it someone just snatched the Autobahn up. [emoji20]

This is the second GTI in a month that I've been on the verge of purchasing that got bought. First one gave me a heads up and told me placing a deposit would be wise but I overlooked it as he attached a bill of sale in the same email and I went straight to the attachment, this second one no heads up at all. I'm wondering if I'm being used as leverage by dealers to local customers since I'm an out of town buyer.

Unless you place a deposit, no one is going to give you a headsup or wait for you whether its a dealer or a private seller.

I sold my GTI last month which was in great shape with all service history. I sold it to the person who gave me the first deposit even though several people (even from the forum) inquired.

GTI210

Ready to race!
Unless you place a deposit, no one is going to give you a headsup or wait for you whether its a dealer or a private seller.

I sold my GTI last month which was in great shape with all service history. I sold it to the person who gave me the first deposit even though several people (even from the forum) inquired.

Honestly, I'm relatively young and have never bought from a dealer so maybe I don't know how the game works. The three cars I've owned were handed down, bought at an auction, and bought from a family member.

They were running my info through their lenders and as soon as I got an interest rate I was planning on putting a deposit on the Autobahn...is that not typically how things are done? Should I have put a deposit down before my financing was in place?

wantone

Ready to race!
Damn it someone just snatched the Autobahn up. :(

Like vj123 mentioned, if you find one long distance you really want, put a deposit on it. They ARE refundable. (There's no way dealers could get away with charging $500 deposits and then just keeping them if deal didn't work out) I've run into the same thing buying long distance. Had a holiday special on a 2017 Civic Si not long that was being blown out for $20,600 with less than 20 miles on it. It had been on the lot for nearly 300 days. Ouch. The sale came and went and it was still there and dealer said they would honor holiday price. I figured I should have no problem driving up in 5 days if was on the lot that long. Low and behold it sold before I could get up there. Doh! Lesson learned.

A dealer will say whatever they can to get a sale. A person inside the dealership is WAY more important than a long distance buyer. Unless you have a deposit on a vehicle.

Have you given up on Sheehy VW?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Honestly, I'm relatively young and have never bought from a dealer so maybe I don't know how the game works. The three cars I've owned were handed down, bought at an auction, and bought from a family member.

They were running my info through their lenders and as soon as I got an interest rate I was planning on putting a deposit on the Autobahn...is that not typically how things are done? Should I have put a deposit down before my financing was in place?

In that scenario, you can get a pre approval from your bank or CU. In my CU pre approvals are valid for 45 days. With the approved amount, you can shop around and buy your vehicle within that timeframe without any additional credit check.

Was the dealer running your info through their lenders? I hope they did not process your application after selling that particular vehicle.

cb1111

You don't want to put a deposit down and you don't want to have the dealer find financing for you.

There is only one reason for a deposit - an that is to to tie you emotionally to the car. That allows them to screw with you.

Get your financing from your credit union. Know your credit score. If it is good (i.e. 740 plus) then you should qualify for the .9% financing from VW. If it is close then you probably qualify for the 1.9%

Negotiate a price - not a monthly payment. Email dealers for prices.

These cars are everywhere, so you're not buying some rarity.