GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The New APR Open Intake System is Here

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Why not throw stock on there to compare that too?

Aussie R

Ready to race!
Why not throw stock on there to compare that too?
Sorry, don’t really have the time. He’s just wanting to compare the 2 APR ones as dealer to see which is best option. I thought it would be fun and get free dyno runs. He’s just fitting it in between all their other work that day

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Any chance you’ll ever make them out of anything other than CF? I’m really not into that look at all.

Aussie R

Ready to race!
Sorry guys, We couldn't complete the testing as my car haldex not 100% got it fixed with adaptions but Mechanic didn't want to put the stress through system on dyno. I know he will be testing it soon once he get a chance on another car. I'll update findings once he does it.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Sorry guys, We couldn't complete the testing as my car haldex not 100% got it fixed with adaptions but Mechanic didn't want to put the stress through system on dyno. I know he will be testing it soon once he get a chance on another car. I'll update findings once he does it.
What was wrong and what adaptations?

Aussie R

Ready to race!
What was wrong and what adaptations?
I was told haldex “lazy” not kicking in as early as it should. I’ve not noticed it at all and unlikely to show on driving as rear wheels moving. But different on dyno so mechanic ran tests and fixed it with software. He didn’t want to risk added stress on system. He believes that after service and cleaning filter few months ago some particles in there likely moved and will break down with driving and that changing oil in 5k km will flush it properly and keep it optimal. So probably fortunate for me to find out, Shame couldn’t get testing done.

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
I was told haldex “lazy” not kicking in as early as it should. I’ve not noticed it at all and unlikely to show on driving as rear wheels moving. But different on dyno so mechanic ran tests and fixed it with software. He didn’t want to risk added stress on system. He believes that after service and cleaning filter few months ago some particles in there likely moved and will break down with driving and that changing oil in 5k km will flush it properly and keep it optimal. So probably fortunate for me to find out, Shame couldn’t get testing done.

Sounds like Arin made a few calls :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Aussie R

Ready to race!
Sounds like Arin made a few calls :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
Lol. I think we all know it won’t really make much performance difference between them. Just more induction sounds from videos posted online. Looking at testing on IE intake similar open set up showed higher inlet temps than stock. Just different option. If I was stock and going to upgrade IC then I’d probably go open style for more sound but for me prefer closed for cooler inlet temps with stock IC.

I found once you have inlet, hose and TMD the closed intake then has enough induction noises as those parts combined really increase the volume.

Aussie R

Ready to race!
Little update from me. I ended up swapping intakes and APR ignition coils couple of days ago. I posted photo and little review on facebook pages. For those interested The induction sound is INSANE its at least 3 times louder than closed system. To both myself and mechanic car feels slightly stronger and more responsive. Could be swapping Coil packs as car at 75k km too. I assume better flow as I heard slight turbo surge/flutter couple times so I'm going to update my tune to the version 2.7 tomorrow which I believe fixes that.

I have monitored IAT using scan gauge in car and temps are within 1-2 deg of what closed intake was in same driving conditions so no issues in heat soaking at all. So if you want better flowing intake and MUCH more induction noise I highly recommend the open style intake. If you want more reserved sound then the closed intake would suit better, not to knock APR but if going closed system I would go the R600 intake or similar as slightly louder and better flow. I had it and had to swap to APR closed after swapping IC pipe kit as r600 much bigger wouldn't fit.

I never dyno to compare but as we know the differnce in HP would be minimal. It's mainly going to be the sound that changes. I personally love induction sound as almost my favourite part of having modified turbo car so I'm very happy.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Little update from me. I ended up swapping intakes and APR ignition coils couple of days ago. I posted photo and little review on facebook pages. For those interested The induction sound is INSANE its at least 3 times louder than closed system. To both myself and mechanic car feels slightly stronger and more responsive. Could be swapping Coil packs as car at 75k km too. I assume better flow as I heard slight turbo surge/flutter couple times so I'm going to update my tune to the version 2.7 tomorrow which I believe fixes that.

I have monitored IAT using scan gauge in car and temps are within 1-2 deg of what closed intake was in same driving conditions so no issues in heat soaking at all. So if you want better flowing intake and MUCH more induction noise I highly recommend the open style intake. If you want more reserved sound then the closed intake would suit better, not to knock APR but if going closed system I would go the R600 intake or similar as slightly louder and better flow. I had it and had to swap to APR closed after swapping IC pipe kit as r600 much bigger wouldn't fit.

I never dyno to compare but as we know the differnce in HP would be minimal. It's mainly going to be the sound that changes. I personally love induction sound as almost my favourite part of having modified turbo car so I'm very happy.
When you were measuring temps. Closed vs open, what was the difference when stopped at a red light?

Aussie R

Ready to race!
When you were measuring temps. Closed vs open, what was the difference when stopped at a red light?
I did notice it climbed bit more stopped at red light by 3-4 deg but then would drop immediately on take off. The way I drive car the temps generally around 5-10 deg c over ambient. It’s as low as 2 over ambient on highway under light load. If I’m stuck in heavy traffic then can be around 20 deg over ambient. The open style box was basically identical in almost all conditions. Hope that helps.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI

IAT sensor is in the wrong location to give information about the temperature out of the airbox. The IC will condition air out of the turbo dropping the temps a couple of hundred degrees, any change pre-turbo would be too small to register at the intake manifold.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I did notice it climbed bit more stopped at red light by 3-4 deg but then would drop immediately on take off. The way I drive car the temps generally around 5-10 deg c over ambient. It’s as low as 2 over ambient on highway under light load. If I’m stuck in heavy traffic then can be around 20 deg over ambient. The open style box was basically identical in almost all conditions. Hope that helps.
Thanks