GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The New APR Open Intake System is Here

Aussie R

Ready to race!
IAT sensor is in the wrong location to give information about the temperature out of the airbox. The IC will condition air out of the turbo dropping the temps a couple of hundred degrees, any change pre-turbo would be too small to register at the intake manifold.
Thanks for that. I can only go off scan gauge. I agree the main temp changes obviously going to be by IC and as said number of times in many discussions if concern is temps then good upgraded IC the way to go.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Thanks for that. I can only go off scan gauge. I agree the main temp changes obviously going to be by IC and as said number of times in many discussions if concern is temps then good upgraded IC the way to go.
Logging WG duty with both intakes would be more interesting than IATs.

Aussie R

Ready to race!
Logging WG duty with both intakes would be more interesting than IATs.
Im sure plenty of things more interesting. I only have scan gauge on car. Just posting what i found. I’m not a mechanic, dealer that’s got tools and time to dyno test everything, log it all, flow test. Wouldn’t it be awesome if someone out there could test event aftermarket mod for us all so we know exactly which is best. Then that manufacturer can make it cheapest on market too so everyone happy.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
No mention for how much more HP/torque gains for stock, stage 1, and stage 2. AYK, FBO is a completely different animal only a small percentage of owners have.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I still don't get why people spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars on intakes and exhausts for lots of noise and miniscule performance gains.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I still don't get why people spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars on intakes and exhausts for lots of noise and miniscule performance gains.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Some folks don’t like a muted experience when driving. That’s my excuse at least. I didn’t expect more power from the intake and exhaust. And I didn’t spend the money for the power either. I just wanted sound to go with my driving. Otherwise it sounds like a damn Tesla practically.

the full experience is worth the money. Though I respect we all have different standards and expectations when it comes to a favorable enjoyable driving experience. I don’t think we should trash folks spending money to get a little induction and exhaust sounds. There’s nothing wrong with it imo

I bought my gti three months ago or so. New. On the second day I was already at the muffler shop. And on the 4th it had an intake. And at about 900-1100 miles it was apr stage 1 with dsg tune.

no regrets with my noise makers. She’s so much more fun now!

Aussie R

Ready to race!
Because for some of us the sounds make the car more enjoyable than just pure performance. I couldn’t care if I had 500hp car that had no induction sound and muted exhaust. To me that would be boring and fact that couldn’t ever use the power legally.

we each have different goals for our cars I don’t get stage 3 builds or body kits, rim changes etc but for those who want that and makes them happy and enjoy their car. Go for it, I’d never be bagging them out.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

You could apply that logic to anything though. Why would someone spend hundreds, even thousands on rims for just a different visual look and miniscule performance gains?

To some people, how a car sounds is just as important as how it looks.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
If you really take a deep look at what we sell, and really what the aftermarket sells in general, none of it is something anyone really needs. I found myself buying stuff I simply didn't need. My friends and family didn't really get it. But I got it. I got in to this industry because I really enjoyed it. I wanted to help make products for myself (That's how I landed at APR). I wanted to help make products that would bring excitement and joy to others. I enjoyed the power, the speed, the sound, the community, the hobby (building my car), bragging rights (sharing sweet photos and video of what I did), the data (logging and sharing results with others), and so many other reasons. To so many that's just a huge waste of money. To me, it was my hobby. I enjoyed every moment of driving my car, and every moment I wanted to save up to get something new to improve something else. Simply put, there's no right or wrong reasons why someone mods their car.

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
If you really take a deep look at what we sell, and really what the aftermarket sells in general, none of it is something anyone really needs. I found myself buying stuff I simply didn't need. My friends and family didn't really get it. But I got it. I got in to this industry because I really enjoyed it. I wanted to help make products for myself (That's how I landed at APR). I wanted to help make products that would bring excitement and joy to others. I enjoyed the power, the speed, the sound, the community, the hobby (building my car), bragging rights (sharing sweet photos and video of what I did), the data (logging and sharing results with others), and so many other reasons. To so many that's just a huge waste of money. To me, it was my hobby. I enjoyed every moment of driving my car, and every moment I wanted to save up to get something new to improve something else. Simply put, there's no right or wrong reasons why someone mods their car.
Explaining an aesthetic reason for wanting your car to sound a particular way is a waste of time around here. Some folks are dead set at feeling a particular way (and that’s fine) while enforcing that whole “but it’s a waste of money” thing even though no one asked for their opinion.

I for one at baffled by vw’s reason to keep the sound down. The engine has the potential to sound way better. I don’t get it.

oh well.