GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Helix Dongle Programming Rental Thread -- Part 2

MWakkoL

Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
I tried all the programs in my 2015 Sportwagen. It really does sound best for my purposes on 98 - programmed for Sportwagen with no tweeter in rear doors. It does depend on what music you listen to and the quality of the source (xm radio, mp3’s, Spotify, etc…) so try out anything that seems reasonable, and use the music you most like to listen to, sourced the way you most listen to it. The second best choice for mine was 84, a setting for the Passat. My helper wanted to hear crazy bass from some house band and that sounded best on 60 using Spotify, but I don’t listen to that. I will be giving some bass up when listening to Spotify, but I don’t do that too much and can tweak the EQ if I need to. My helper has the same car and was definitely jealous and is now searching for a deal on the Helix.

So far this has been the best money I’ve ever spent for sound - cannot beat this deal - about 2 hours to install (with custom dremel work to go under the seats without pinching), <$500, and sounds great.

MECH5700

Car(s)
2015 TDI GSW
2015 Sportwagen TDI S, MIB2 upgrade. Stock tweeters in the A pillars, stock front and rear door speakers, and it has stock rear door tweeters.

EQ set to flat.

57 sounded very muddy and bass heavy, mids and highs were quiet. Sounded almost like the speakers were rear biased, not driver focused, with overpowering bass.

60 sounded "louder" with the mids and highs more pronounced, bass was also good - gave more of a true "flat" EQ sound. More driver centric sound stage as well. Tweaked the bass EQ up 2-3 clicks, turned mids down 2 clicks, kept treble at middle. (How I usually set up my EQ in a car, mostly listen to rock and metal. Sometimes I bump up treble but that's not needed in this car with the front tweeters) I like this method because it gives me some headroom to turn up the bass for other genres if needed, opposed to #57 where the sound was bass heavy and unbalanced.

Couldn't tell the difference between 57/97 or 60/98 honestly. MAYBE a hair quieter, but nothing notable.

Awesome upgrade for the price. Also, if anyone buys this from VW right now, there is also 15% rebate for VW Accessories.

Andy