GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Great Tune debate

augiec

Passed Driver's Ed
Would JB4 possibly be a better option? I just want to retain drivability since I am rush hour traffic a lot. :)
Sorry if these are noob questions I am still learning.

I've had APR stage 1 low output, APR stage 2, JB4 alone, and now running Cobb with a 5150 etune and JB4 stack for meth (Jeez, I've wasted a lot of money on tunes :/). You can drive the car in rush hour traffic without any issues. Unless you like to floor it to roll your car in 5ft increments :)

The Cobb and APR stage 2 make the car a little more torquey at low ends, but not so much as to be undriveable. A lot of this would be contingent on the clutch you are using if you have a 6spd.

Loonster

Ready to race!
I am new here and after reading this thread I am unsure as to what tune to use or any for that matter.
I thought APR was a good option for these cars?

Good to see another one from the frozen lands here. APR is a good choice, they have a good reputation for doing a solid tune. The downside of APR is if your VW reflashes your ECU back to stock during a maintenance vivit because there's a VW update, you have to go back to the tuning shop and reflash back to APR. I'm sure there's an associated cost with that.

If you know in advance that you're headed in for maintenance you can take it to the tune shop, flash to stock, go have your maintenance done then back to the tune shop. You kind of see where that is going.

Then there are piggybacks. These units aren't really a pro tune. The unit gathers data from the ECU then basically lies to the ECU to trick it into doing something else. Supposedly, these unitts can't be seen by VW techs provided you remove the unit prior to a VW maintenance visit. There are some that swear by that and are ardent supporters of such units because of that reason.

There are platforms that allow you to fine tune your own car. Some are simple to use and the support base is strong. Some are not so easy to use and require you to have quite a bit of knowledge about tuning. I wouldn't recommend this approach unless you understand what you're doing. I think those platforms are excellent if you want to have total control over the outcome of the tune, but as previously stated, you need to know your stuff.

Then there is COBB. There are lots of pro tuners that use this platform to either do pro tunes or etunes. This unit upon first install records all of your stock parameters so when you need to flash back to stock you can. Make no mistake about it though VW will know if the ECU has been reflashed if they're looking for it. If you break something critical like a turbo or something internal they will most certainly look to see if the car has been modified. This isn't a dealer issue as it is in their best interest to fix the broken part, after all it's VW paying the bill. It is the VW folks that require they look into it before authorizing a repair.

With the COBB unit you can either run a standard COBB map, weather that be a stage 1, 2 or whatever or you can go to pro tuner and have them custom tune your car. The tune is then on your COBB unit as well as your desktop or laptop at home. You can flash between tunes anytime you want to.

There is a lot of discussion on these forums s to what tune is best or who is the better at tuning. It's all up to you to figure out what it is you'd like to achieve. Some will tune their cars very aggressive, pushing all that they can. This comes with greater risk to the car of course. Then there are some that will run conservative tunes to balance their want for power as well as vehicle life.

How much risk you want to take on is up to you and your wallet. If you have a few grand laying around at any given time, then go all out. If you don't, then get a conservative tune and be happy with it. Don't worry about some person out there who tells you your tune isn't as good as theirs or whatever the case is. Only you know your limits and what you're able to afford. There is an inherent risk in all tunes, there's no way to escape that but if you manage your car well and don't go way out to the max with your tune or every time you drive the car you could run for a really long time without any issues. Many have done exactly that.

I see you have a DSG so at least you won't have to replace your clutch. Some love the 6MT. I don't blame them but that clutch will have to go if you plan on making any serious gains in power.

Me, I'm running a COBB unit with a stage 1 tune from Freektune on 91 octane. I'm making plenty of power and my data logs look very good. It's a conservative tune which is exactly what I wanted. There's is still some touch up to do on that tune and it is currently in progress.

Have fun with your car...

Last edited:

Murf1

Ready to race!
I have the JB4 with a custom map 6 and while I am very happy with it I must admit I'm curious as to how much more is available through flashes. I have 100% access to E30 and am kinda envious of the custom tunes available for this fueling. For example just my stock car with Cobb and a MAP E30 tune sounds ridiculous with a 120lbs torque delta over baseline, obviously the custom tunes can be even stronger.

With a nicely tweaked map6 JB4 (my stock car) am I getting 70lb/feet of torgue over stock? More? The JB4 product page only shows HP gains...

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I have the JB4 with a custom map 6 and while I am very happy with it I must admit I'm curious as to how much more is available through flashes. I have 100% access to E30 and am kinda envious of the custom tunes available for this fueling. For example just my stock car with Cobb and a MAP E30 tune sounds ridiculous with a 120lbs torque delta over baseline, obviously the custom tunes can be even stronger.

With a nicely tweaked map6 JB4 (my stock car) am I getting 70lb/feet of torgue over stock? More? The JB4 product page only shows HP gains...

On a stock car, JB4 will get you +40whp on a properly built map 6. You'll land somewhere between 250 and 260 depending on fuel and supporting mods. E30 will get you a little more than that - maybe +20whp on top of standard map 6 (also assuming supporting mods). FBO E30 got me 285whp on the JB4.

tknj99

Ready to race!
On a stock car, JB4 will get you +40whp on a properly built map 6. You'll land somewhere between 250 and 260 depending on fuel and supporting mods. E30 will get you a little more than that - maybe +20whp on top of standard map 6 (also assuming supporting mods). FBO E30 got me 285whp on the JB4.

That's disconcerting. I was under the impression that with a JB4 + downpipe, 93 octane and intake panel filter or whole unit that we would be around 300 whp.. oh well.. guess it will be a tune in the future when PT warranty runs out.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
That's disconcerting. I was under the impression that with a JB4 + downpipe, 93 octane and intake panel filter or whole unit that we would be around 300 whp.. oh well.. guess it will be a tune in the future when PT warranty runs out.

15whp isn't worth much... if all you are after is 300whp, just stick with the JB4. The only reason I jumped ship was because of the hybrid turbo performance/control.

bkuu

Passed Driver's Ed
I "love" reading these tune threads, the more I read the less sure I am about anything. ;p

got mine carted and waiting for months now. I can't seem to go through with the purchase. My mk7 gti is 11k miles in. I'm committed to getting unitronic stage 1+ with dsg tune as well. Getting mixed reviews if I should also get the DSG tune so the costs is stopping me atm.

Hatch3d

Man... I hate it when a thread just stops. I know this subject has been beaten to death but I find my self getting more and more confused. Currently running JB1 with no other mods other than AWE Track Edition Cat Back, VWR Springs, VMR Wheels and 235/40/18 Toyo Proxes 4+. So nothing other than the JB1 and maybe the AWE for engine performance mods. I looking to get more out of the car but where I find the most frustration is in putting it is Sport mode (I have DSG) and the horrible shifting points. I really want to tune from home so COBB, ED, Unitronic are what I am looking at. Been waiting on COBB to come up with a TCU tune.

I imagine that going with any one of these would suite my needs. Being in California I am stuck with 91 oct and have to be careful because at some point I will have to smog this thing. Don't really plan on taking to the extreme as some do on here.

Also, some folks on here have been very informative and have had multiple brands of these products and can state better claims rather than just get this because that is what I bought.

Thanks for everyone's input but I am still on the fence and can't make up my mind. I guess at this point I will just keep reading and throw out the garbage responses.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Man... I hate it when a thread just stops. I know this subject has been beaten to death but I find my self getting more and more confused. Currently running JB1 with no other mods other than AWE Track Edition Cat Back, VWR Springs, VMR Wheels and 235/40/18 Toyo Proxes 4+. So nothing other than the JB1 and maybe the AWE for engine performance mods. I looking to get more out of the car but where I find the most frustration is in putting it is Sport mode (I have DSG) and the horrible shifting points. I really want to tune from home so COBB, ED, Unitronic are what I am looking at. Been waiting on COBB to come up with a TCU tune.

I imagine that going with any one of these would suite my needs. Being in California I am stuck with 91 oct and have to be careful because at some point I will have to smog this thing. Don't really plan on taking to the extreme as some do on here.

Also, some folks on here have been very informative and have had multiple brands of these products and can state better claims rather than just get this because that is what I bought.

Thanks for everyone's input but I am still on the fence and can't make up my mind. I guess at this point I will just keep reading and throw out the garbage responses.

As one who has been down the mod path from where you are, to this week putting in a forged motor and big turbo in my GTI which I have owned for the last 10 years all while living in California, you are about as far as you can go if you want to be able to drive in to a smog station and pass without having issues or having to do any prep. Running 91 octane on an all stock motor can only provide so much power. Most of the entry level tunes vary on paper but not much when you get out to the track and actually drive them (all too close). Somebody said add protune which wouldn't make any sense on your car. Protune or custom tune would be for those times when you have power potential mods unaccounted for in your ots tune. You can extract a lot of power out of these motors but the $$ per horsepower that you got with your JB1 will never be repeated. Major power gains after that get much more expensive. I went through all the stages, then to K04 which was what the Mk6 Golf R's were running, and now to forged motor and BorgWarner EFR 7163. It gets exponentially more expense for power increases.

If you have the money I would go IS38, larger intercooler, water meth and a custom tune. My guess is that you could be around 380whp pretty easy. I wasted a lot of money going stage by stage, though it was fun. Best thing to to do is just go for it if you know you are going to end up there anyway. Now that will make you think you bought a new car

etrips

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golfffff Rrrrrr
So I am trying to decide what tune I want to go after in the near future. I'm currently rocking a JB4 which I'm pretty thrilled with. The customer service with George is absolutely top notch. However, the rabbit hole keeps going deeper right? Now is there a certain tuner that would be better suited for a more even spread of power that will also be kind to longer commutes (120 mi/day)?

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
So I am trying to decide what tune I want to go after in the near future. I'm currently rocking a JB4 which I'm pretty thrilled with. The customer service with George is absolutely top notch. However, the rabbit hole keeps going deeper right? Now is there a certain tuner that would be better suited for a more even spread of power that will also be kind to longer commutes (120 mi/day)?

Go APR stage 2 and be done with it.