GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Teslar Roadster FTW!

Ratchet

Go Kart Champion

At the moment the car is custom made from a Lotus Elise, it cost $109,000; but its the first step by a company to made a reasonable car

A full charge takes about 3.5 Hours to charge.
225 Miles per charge , cost is about 2cents per mile
Batterys last atleast 100,000 miles

Tesla Roadster Technical Data
Motor
Type designation 3-phase, 4-pole electric motor
Max net power 185kW
Max rpm 13,000
Efficiency 90% average, 80% at peak power
Torque see torque curve chart
Transmission
Type: 2 speed electrically actuated manual transmission with final drive; constant mesh gears and inertia lock key type synchromesh
Gear Ratio Overall
First 4.20 : 1 14.3 : 1
Second 2.17 : 1 7.4 : 1
Final Drive 3.41 : 1
Reverse reverse direction of motor
Front Suspension Type: independent; upper and lower wishbone; co-axial coil spring/telescopic damper unit; anti-roll bar
Rear Suspension Type: independent; upper and lower wishbone; co-axial coil spring/telescopic damper
Brakes
Type: Cross-drilled 300 mm front and 310 mm rear discs with curved vane ventilation; AP Racing Two piston Aluminum fixed front calipers; Brembo Single piston sliding rear calipers
Operation: Vacuum pump driven Servo assisted with 4 wheel ABS system
Wheels
Type Forged Light alloy
Size - front 5.5J x 16
Size - rear 7.5J x 17
Tires
Type Yokohama Neova AD07 LTS
Size - front 175/55 R16
Size - rear 225/45 R17
Dimensions
Overall length (in. / mm) 155.4 / 3946
Overall width - incl. mirrors (in. / mm) 73.7 / 1873
Overall height (at curb weight) (in. / mm) 44.4 / 1127
Wheelbase (in. / mm) 92.6 / 2352
Track - front (in. / mm) 57.6 / 1464
Track - rear (in. / mm) 59.0 / 1499
Curb weight Around 2690 pounds (subject to complete safety and durability testing)
Leg Room (in./mm) 42.0 / 1067
Front Head Room (in./mm) 36.7 / 932
Front Shoulder Room (in./mm) 26.0 / 660
Standard Interior features
Heated sport seats with inflatable lumbar support
Three-spoke leather-wrapped sport steering wheel
Smooth leather seats and trim in black, dark gray, light gray, or beige
Blaupunkt stereo sound system with single-disc CD player, iPod interface, and MP3 playback
Cruise Control
Homelink universal transmitter to operate compatible garage, gate, and home lighting/home security systems
Power windows and locks
Air conditioning
Single retractable cup holder
Standard Exterior Features
Double-insulated black soft top
Proprietary halogen low- and high-beam headlamp assemblies
LED tail lights
Forged uni-directional seven-spoke wheels in silver finish: 16" front, 17" rear
Locking wheel lugs
Tire Inflator/sealant
Cold weather ESS heater for cold weather charging to -20 degrees Celsius
Home-based charging system with integral safety features for 3.5 hour full re-charge
Standard Safety and Security Features

Four-sensor, four-channel Anti-lock Braking Systems (ABS)
Traction control
Tire pressure monitoring system
Front and rear crumple zones
Driver and passenger front airbags
Rigid occupant safety cell
Side impact door beams
Seatbelt pretensioners
Integrated headrests
Vehicle theft-deterrent and engine immobilizer system
PIN for security in operating the vehicle
Valet mode to restrict speed, acceleration, and distance
Factory-installed options and accessories
Premium leather seats available in nine colors with embroidered Tesla Motors logo
Microfiber, non-leather seats in black
Bluetooth cellular phone integration
Satellite radio with 170 channels of digital sound
Seven-speaker premium sound system tuned for Tesla Roadster cockpit
Touch-screen navigation system with voice guidance
Matching body-colored carbon fiber hardtop with full headliner
Metallic and premium paint
Tesla Motors custom floor mats
Mobile charging system

Brewski

Formerly Chris2021
Car(s)
07 GTI pkg1 DSG
thats old news by now isnt it? Engineering marvel I guess but it's just a really expensive lotus to me. They're all sold out btw.

BlueWabbit

back being low.
Car(s)
2008 VW Rabbit
it's old news but that Telsa is quite a piece of work, totally reminds me of a vette style but completly different from one.

Ratchet

Go Kart Champion
Well, from what i've heard they are currently working with lotus and are in the process of building a new facility in hopes of producing a lot more cars... considering that u are required to pay $60,000 almost a year before receiving the cars as a security deposit i hope they will have enough funds to get this going

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I think you meant Tesla. "Reasonable car" --- NOT!

Too much $$$$ for me. I'll ride my bike.

Thought... what if we all lined up in Washington D.C. and blocked all the roads in protest of rising gas prices?

Spirit

Pianist Physicist Duality
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Nice car! But before they make the price more OK, I would go for the Exige S :smile:

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I would be wary of buying a Tesla. They are using almost 7000 cells for their battery - if any one of those cells fails then there's a problem and the entire subassembly needs to be stripped and replaced, time consuming and costly. Their cell-balancing technology also leaves much to be desired (almost 7000 cells makes life very difficult)
Keep your eyes peeled for a competing product from an independent manufacturer towards the end of the year :D

ghost_03

Ready to race!
oh and can someone please tell me how electric is better for the enviorment?

The power comes from a power plant instead of a small (relatively) inefficient combustion engine? Power plants can A.) be more efficient if they're using fossil fuel and B.) Use a number of other, cleaner, techniques, for example the best cases being Solar, Wind, Hydro, Geothermal, etc.

I'm not saying electric cars are any everything solution, there's still plenty of hurdles. But they do offer distinct advantages.

MkV Dub

I <3 my turbo
Car(s)
09 911 C4S
electricity = cheaper & enviromentally improved

allthosebiasedcharts.jpg

oh and can someone please tell me how electric is better for the enviorment?

Search for flue gas desulfurization (or scrubbers as we call them in the industy), I work for the largest public power provider in the US and perform maintenance at one of our coal fired steam plants multiple times a month. The improvements over the years is amazing compared to how things used to be.
Besides the complete independence from foreign energy and extensive (we're talking centuries) supply of coal, electricity is the cheapest form of distributable controllable energy.
And the distribution infrastructure already exists....... in your house too.
EX: A car that gets 31 mpg will burn 3.23 gallons of gas for a 100 mile trip. 3.23 gallons of gas X the 19.56 pounds of co2 produce by burning a gallon of gas (yeah it's really that much) = 63 pounds of co2 per 100 miles.
Tesla uses 31kW hours of electricity to travel 100 miles.
Generating a kilowatt hour of electricity produces an average of 1.55 pounds of co2 (this varies, over 10% of my companies power comes from hydroelectric) which means the Tesla vehicle emits 48.05 pounds of CO2 per 100 miles. Do the math with a gas guzzlin 20mpg and the Tesla produces half of the co2 emissions.
Oh and a Kwh cost me residentially 8.3 cents so 100 miles = $2.57 compare that to a gas car (per dollar at $4 a gallon) you end up with a 155.4 MPG equivalent ($4) ride.

From what I've read Tesla plans on taking the profit from their $100,000 super car and developing an all electric sedan first for luxury and then for everyday people.

But like everything there are pros and cons.:threadjacked:
Ok I'll quit now.