GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sway bar bushing upgrade on a GTI

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
Hello boys & gents,

Got myself a new GTi last summer and I've been enjoying it every day.

I upgraded to a set of VWR springs a couple of months ago as I was looking for a lower look and slightly better handling - I got what I wanted.

After getting used to slightly less body roll and a tad stiffer ride, it all feels OEM again, just like one would eventually get used to a power upgrade.

I'm not just yet ready for a full suspension upgrade but was rather thinking of upgrading the front/rear sway bar bushings to a set of polyurethanes. I did this on my old Rover 620Ti and it totally changed the car's behavior when turning.

I see that Powerflex, SuperPro, and others have polyurethane bushing for the MK7.
I'd just like to know if it's safe/okay to upgrade the sway bar bushings as a starting point in order to stiffen up the handling just a bit more.

Opens to suggestions/feedback

Cheers,
David

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Hello boys & gents,

Got myself a new GTi last summer and I've been enjoying it every day.

I upgraded to a set of VWR springs a couple of months ago as I was looking for a lower look and slightly better handling - I got what I wanted.

After getting used to slightly less body roll and a tad stiffer ride, it all feels OEM again, just like one would eventually get used to a power upgrade.

I'm not just yet ready for a full suspension upgrade but was rather thinking of upgrading the front/rear sway bar bushings to a set of polyurethanes. I did this on my old Rover 620Ti and it totally changed the car's behavior when turning.

I see that Powerflex, SuperPro, and others have polyurethane bushing for the MK7.

I'd just like to know if it's safe/okay to upgrade the sway bar bushings as a starting point in order to stiffen up the handling just a bit more.

Opens to suggestions/feedback

Cheers,

David

I did some work on this and did nothing to find replacing the bushings only an option. From what I learned the OE bushings are bonded to the sway bar. Not sure if one could cut off and get a smooth surface on bar.
VW sells new OE bars with bushings molded on only. The bushings are not a separate part. I wanted to cut one off to see but found a Golf owner who wanted my rear GTI PP bar. I still have the front but holding it incase I find someone who wants it. The front is harder to replace as the sub frame must be lowered and alignment check needed after.
The rear is a 30min or less job once jacked up.

I suggest you upgrade the rear at least to a larger diameter and bushing.
Add new end links if you like.

If I was only doing rear I would look at 034 Motorsports.

I went with Eibach.

OE rear bar with links for info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
A complete sway bar upgrade would be neat but not fit for my current budget.
Looking at the PowerFlex guide, the brackets that hold the bushings would need to be drilled out - link

I'd rather not do any cutting or drilling at the moment.

I guess I'll just stick with the handling at the moment and reconsider a more extensive upgrade in the future.

Upgrade handling after fitting a set of springs?
Save on better dampers > get a set of Koni Str.ts.

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
That why I stated that it just might be worthwhile to save up and do the whole lot at one go >> new shocks and bushings as there's no point in dismantling everything twice.

Mentioning shocks - I've seen the Bilstiens B8's mentioned here quite a bit - how would they compare to Koni's?

Basically similar. While I'm a fan of the B8s, which are single-tube gas pressure design
(incl. upside-down on front) I have to admit the Koni Str.ts (which are conventional
twin-tube design, same as stock) are better value, since they're stunningly cheap to
obtain. ;)
You can't go wrong with either of them. If you're on a budget get the Konis. Plenty
of Mk5 and Mk6 owners do run them and they're right! On a side note, to distinguish
them from the more expensive (and adjustable) Koni Sports, which are yellow, Str.ts
are orange (and not adjustable). Basically the same item but without the adjustablity.

;)

enjoyminutemaid

Ready to race!
Basically similar. While I'm a fan of the B8s, which are single-tube gas pressure design
(incl. upside-down on front) I have to admit the Koni Str.ts (which are conventional
twin-tube design, same as stock) are better value, since they're stunningly cheap to
obtain. ;)
You can't go wrong with either of them. If you're on a budget get the Konis. Plenty
of Mk5 and Mk6 owners do run them and they're right! On a side note, to distinguish
them from the more expensive (and adjustable) Koni Sports, which are yellow, Str.ts
are orange (and not adjustable). Basically the same item but without the adjustablity.

;)

Are the STR.Ts available yet for the mk7?

Panzrwagn

I wouldn't mess with the front bushings at this point, rather upgrade the rears. They are a direct swap out and are NOT bonded to the RSB. Changing out the RSB bushings fol poly will increase the rear roll stiffness, improving turn-in and reducing push.

If there is any increase in noise, vibration, or harshness, I can't hear or feel it.

And while you're under there, install a dogbone bushing to restrain drivetrain windup and wheel hop. That will eliminate about 90% of that issue.

So, for about $60 in parts you can get a noticeably improved GTI handling, acceleration and braking experience.

I've done this on a '06 A3 and 2017 GTI PP, well as friends TDI and A3's. No one was disappointed.