GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunoco Race Gas

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Been studying their web site. There's what appears to be a Sunoco gas station about 20 miles from me that sells 104 octane at the pump. And another a little farther that shows they sell it in bulk and 5-gallon "pails".

Would a regular gas station that sells 104 at the pump, if that's what they're doing, let you fill your tank with it? It's supposed to be for "off-road use only" because it has extra oxygen in it. Sunoco claims the extra oxygen won't hurt your cat. And I believe it's unleaded. Perhaps other people here in the US can comment?

And what's a "pail". Is that another name for a sealed 5-gallon can, and they call it a pail because it's a standard term for bulk paint?

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Here we go again.....................

All I'l say is that several years ago EVO mag did a very good long term test using three cars (VW golf GTI, BMW, & something else).............tested multiple tank fulls of every Performance fuel (in UK) on each car...................higher octanes & the modern electronics of the ECU did produce more power, they also dyno'd etc. car on ever fuel before & after etc............. sunaco was deemed too expensive for every day but worth it on track...............

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Here we go again.....................

All I'l say is that several years ago EVO mag did a very good long term test using three cars (VW golf GTI, BMW, & something else).............tested multiple tank fulls of every Performance fuel (in UK) on each car...................higher octanes & the modern electronics of the ECU did produce more power, they also dyno'd etc. car on ever fuel before & after etc............. sunaco was deemed too expensive for every day but worth it on track...............

As I understand maximum power can only be attained when the maximum compression is ignited, maximum compression can only occur at top dead centre.
Tuning usually involves advancing the ignition timing to closer to TDC and the higher octane fuels are less susceptiable to self igniting before the required ignition is required.

DAS_STIG

Banned
As I understand maximum power can only be attained when the maximum compression is ignited, maximum compression can only occur at top dead centre.
Tuning usually involves advancing the ignition timing to closer to TDC and the higher octane fuels are less susceptiable to self igniting before the required ignition is required.

Yes, and your cars ecu can adjust timing within set parameters. If it detects no knock, it will advance timing... Boom, more powaaaaaaa. An aftermarket tune will push those set parameters even further.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Yes, and your cars ecu can adjust timing within set parameters. If it detects no knock, it will advance timing... Boom, more powaaaaaaa. An aftermarket tune will push those set parameters even further.

Even further than what? TDC? That's the max you will get from any engine, beyond or before that compression is reduced.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
If your car is stock, going beyond 93 octane is not going to do anything but cost you more.

vidman

Ready to race!
Its generally held in Europe that the MK7 ECU does not adjust for better fuels and is set for 95Ron, however I always run 99Ron from my local supermarket just in case - no idea if the US ECUs are different but doubt it.

If you have the car remapped for high Ron fuels you would see the increase but then you would have to use that fuel all the time or risk engine malfunction