GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sun shade rattle solved

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2012 Golf 2.5 manual
I began to develop an annoying rattle from the sun shade on the right side. Also, as others have mentioned the shade doesn't seem to close all the way; you can still see light through it when it's closed. After driving a little bit the shade creeps open almost an inch which is when the rattling starts.

There are little rubber bumpers on either side of the sunroof opening that the sun shade contacts. The first thing I did was to remove those with a pair of needle nosed pliers. The shade now closes about 1/4" farther, preventing light from coming through.

I then added a strip of weatherstripping that I purchased from the hardware store. It's black, about 1/8" thick and half an inch wide. The shade now slides over that which puts just a little pressure on it and it is snug. No more rattles, no more sun peeking through, and no more shade creeping back. There seems to be no adverse effect from removing the little rubber sun shade bumpers.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,419
  • IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,567

GuatMKVII

Gonna try .... thanks for the write up.

Enviado desde mi SM-G955F mediante Tapatalk

jcarl126

Ready to race!
nice solution! I just said screw it and have the sunroof tinted with 20% ceramic hahaha i now leave the shade back at all times. best $40 ive ever spent

tknj99

Ready to race!
I never use the sun shade either but do notice somewhat of a creaking sound coming from the sunroof area when radio volume is low or off

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2012 Golf 2.5 manual
nice solution! I just said screw it and have the sunroof tinted with 20% ceramic hahaha i now leave the shade back at all times. best $40 ive ever spent

I should probably look into tinting as well. With the sun shade open the sun hits me right in the eye, seemingly any time of the year during my afternoon commute.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I'm staring at the pics and can't make out where the weather stripping was put.

I need to know because I need this in my life.

The rattle is real and pretty fkn annoying.

McCabe89

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Evo X & Golf R
Has anyone removed the piece that pops up at the very front when you open the run roof? I believe its there to reduce the noise when you open the sunroof but I have an awful noise with it anyways.

Roadhog

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19' R
Not in plain sight at all.

Still can't figure it out. Bad angle, no lighting, no annotations/arrows, nothing.

I've never even looked at that part on my car and noticed it... Yay first post here. lol

Highlighted it for you though.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I've never even looked at that part on my car and noticed it... Yay first post here. lol

Highlighted it for you though.

Good job Roadhog.
Welcome to forum.
Looks like we need you.

Adam1991,

Not a new thing.
Even with my aging eyes I still see things on machines at work others do not see. Helps in trouble shooting.