GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suggestions on GTI Build Plan

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
113,000 miles now. EQT remote dyno tune. 416 HP and 428 torque.
Not all the miles were on the EQT tune though. But EQT is very well proven.
That's pretty good. If I did consider an IS38 and a custom tune, how did your EQT custom tune effect drivability? I've seen some custom tunes have weirdness at part throttle because they were tuned for WOT. I imagine it's good, Ed seems to really know what he's doing.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Oh, I've kicked around the idea of an IS38 upgrade for a while. A couple things that hold me back are that I don't think 350whp and fwd are the best combo, and the reliability factor that comes with such a power increase over stock. How would that work with EQT; I'd have to do a custom tune once I went IS38?

Yeah, so would be in your best interest to read the forums a bit more. Several members are running in excess of 400 whp without reliability issues, me include. These motors are pretty stout from the factory so do not be afraid to turn it up.

Also, putting the power down in 1st and second on any fwd application with power can be challenging but there are solutions to help mitigate the impact. The days of 300-400 whp being excessive and unmanageable in a fwd car are long gone. Time to broaden your horizons a bit.

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Oh, I've kicked around the idea of an IS38 upgrade for a while. A couple things that hold me back are that I don't think 350whp and fwd are the best combo, and the reliability factor that comes with such a power increase over stock. How would that work with EQT; I'd have to do a custom tune once I went IS38?

As Jovian said, there are very few differences between the 2.0 in the GTI and the R, and the IS38 is the same turbo on the Golf R. A Golf R’s stock power is 292/280 HP/TQ. Stage 1 Tuned, it’s like 340/360 HP/TQ. That’s a stage 1 tune on an otherwise stock 2.0 with IS38.

In otherwords, it’s totally safe/reliable at those levels (both the engine and the turbo)

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Yeah, so would be in your best interest to read the forums a bit more. Several members are running in excess of 400 whp without reliability issues, me include. These motors are pretty stout from the factory so do not be afraid to turn it up.

Also, putting the power down in 1st and second on any fwd application with power can be challenging but there are solutions b to help mitigate the impact. The days of 300-400 whp being excessive and unmanageable in a fwd car are long gone. Time to broaden your horizons a bit.
Oh, I know... This platform has massive potential. Because of how people on enthusiast forums/groups (not a knock against you or anyone else here, just in general) sometimes define terms like "reliable", "puts down power", "no NVH", "feels like stock", etc, etc... I've just learned to err on the conservative side.

I also had a water intrusion that traveled from a leaking radiator sensor, through the wiring harness, and fried my ECM 3 months into owning the car with barely 30k miles on the odo. That would have been a near $7000 repair, the largest I've ever had on a stock car, had it not been for VW's goodwill in covering 75% of the cost. Then, 4 months later, my thermostat housing started leaking which was fixed under warranty, fortunately. So, yeah, I still believe in the reliability of the motor itself, but it's made me more gun-shy about pushing things.

I appreciate everyone's experience though. Maybe I am being overly conservative, because it seems alot of you have quite a few miles even with turbo upgrades and basically FBO, etc.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
@El_bigote_AJ

How is it getting your car smog tested here with a DP? I know with HF cats they'll usually still throw a CEL, so tunes will disable the light but not the actual fault, which is an instant fail. Is it worth it to invest in a GESI catted DP?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
@El_bigote_AJ

How is it getting your car smog tested here with a DP? I know with HF cats they'll usually still throw a CEL, so tunes will disable the light but not the actual fault, which is an instant fail. Is it worth it to invest in a GESI catted DP?
well in the past we always knew someone in the car club that had someone to just input your VIN on the machine, etc, lol. my buddies R needed a smog this year and those type of guys don't seem to be around anymore (I'm just out of the circle)

my cars a 2019, so this April coming up will be the first smog needed, before i went with the AP tune i was using a jb4 and i do have a high flow cat on my DP now and was running a O2 spacer (pre cat) and the car wouldn't throw the code, but I'm actually about to install a bigger catless DP in the next week or 2 though.

once i went AP the tuner did disable the fault and yes it would fail... so in April i plan to just flash back to stock map and swap the factory DP or the existing one with the spacer and high flow cat (will fail if the tech does visual and or cares) and to go to the smog place.

once you've install and DE installed the DP a few times is a pretty quick project, especially with car the lifted higher.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's pretty good. If I did consider an IS38 and a custom tune, how did your EQT custom tune effect drivability? I've seen some custom tunes have weirdness at part throttle because they were tuned for WOT. I imagine it's good, Ed seems to really know what he's doing.
Didn't affect part throttle driveability at all. Other than being smoother than the stock tune you wouldn't know it was tuned until you get on it.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Hey y'all. I'm pretty new here, but I've been lurking and reading for a while. I've had my 2017 GTI for about a year now and I'm looking for some suggestions/discussion around my build plans.

I come from the Honda world, and really wanted a Type-R, but it just wasn't feasible with the prices they sell for and when I needed a car, plus I've always like GTIs. My goal is to build something akin to a Clubsport/CSS with Stage 1/Stage 2 power and a significantly improved suspension mostly for canyons/backroads with an occasional autoX day. My car is an Autobahn DSG w/ PP and DCC. It's my daily.

Any advice for additions or things I should do differently? Thanks in advance. It seems like a pretty cool community so far. 😎
If you don't have any real goals other than driving around and maybe an autocross where your mods put you in a unwinnable class but you probably don't care, then it does not really matter what anyone else thinks.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
@El_bigote_AJ

you don't need an expensive dp to pass smog here, a Vibrant J-style spacer (w/ the medium insert) pointing up towards the sky should do the trick

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Didn't affect part throttle driveability at all. Other than being smoother than the stock tune you wouldn't know it was tuned until you get on it.
Sweet! It's a bit of a path to get to that point, but you guy's have got me seriously considering going IS38/custom tune eventually.

If you don't have any real goals other than driving around and maybe an autocross where your mods put you in a unwinnable class but you probably don't care, then it does not really matter what anyone else thinks.
In order to be competitive in autocross or regular track days, you really need a dedicated setup. A second set of wheels/tires at minimum. Right now I don't have the space for a second set of wheels, so it would just be for fun, to sharpen my driving skills, and to push the car harder then you could/should on the street. But, yes, I would probably end up in Street Prepared which is a pretty high-level class.

you don't need an expensive dp to pass smog here, a Vibrant J-style spacer (w/ the medium insert) pointing up towards the sky should do the trick
Perfect. That was my big worry with DPs. It's too much for me to uninstall and reinstall a DP every year. Thanks

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Perfect. That was my big worry with DPs. It's too much for me to uninstall and reinstall a DP every year. Thanks
keep in mind that’s relative to the smog tech doing the test... he can still fail you for not having the factory equipped cat... I’ve had techs inspect my other car with those mirror on sticks before... but I was running a magnaflow cat (oval body) on that car I reused the cats heat shield also.

but really techs just pretend to look at the evap system and plug the car in, lol.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
keep in mind that’s relative to the smog tech doing the test... he can still fail you for not having the factory equipped cat... I’ve had techs inspect my other car with those mirror on sticks before... but I was running a magnaflow cat (oval body) on that car I reused the cats heat shield also.

but really techs just pretend to look at the evap system and plug the car in, lol.
That's why you go to the one that looks like it has a 20 year old who just got certified working at it. Lol If it passes the readiness checks, it's doubtful there'll look any further.