GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sudden error codes galore. Halp!

brian.tully

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI Autobahn
A bizarre thing happened to me today. Car was driving fine all day while running errands. Then when I started the car at the grocery store it felt like I had every error code known to man:

- ACC not available
- Error: Airbag
- TPMS
- ABS/stabilization control ESC disabled
- Hill Assist disabled
- Front Assist disabled
- Error: Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)

Here’s a link to the video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5wkkfz38kdqilx/VW-mk7-GTI-errors.MOV?dl=0

I tried using VCDS (Hex-Net) to no avail.

Any ideas what this could be?

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Time for a new battery. Weird stuff happens when the voltage begins to get low.

brian.tully

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI Autobahn
Time for a new battery. Weird stuff happens when the voltage begins to get low.
Ooh, I hadn't thought of that! I pray to god that is all it is, and that a new battery will fix the issue. Thanks so much!

p.s.,pardon my naive question, but is there a consensus as to which brand battery is the best for a GTI or will any brand do?

jonatj

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve just had the exact same problem as OP. All of a sudden the errors popped up while driving. I don’t think it is battery related, I’ve replaced my battery few months ago and ODBEleven shows good voltage of 13.9v. Any other ideas? Could a sensor be our?
@brian.tully Did a new battery fix everything for you?

ST165

1. Do you have a sunroof?
2. Was it raining?
yes and yes see link below.

Your sunroof is leaking down the inside of the a-pillar and dripping right on to a bundle of connectors for all of those "failed" systems. If your roof has the BS band-aid fix, Your roof frame is cracked underneath the BS band-aid.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163514-0001.pdf
please disregard VW's propaganda about clogged drains in the tech bulletin. We all know the roof frames crack and leak well before the drains have a chance to clog up.

jonatj

Passed Driver's Ed
Just an update. I did check if my new battery was the issue since I didn’t change to serial number. It does look like the new battery is not the issue. I guess sometimes if the battery serial number isn’t updated in the ECU then charging will overcharge your new battery. Then a weak battery can cause the Christmas tree lights to come up.

I took my car to the dealer for a diagnostic this morning. Turns out the issue is caused by a bad wheel speed sensor that failed because my rear left wheel hub bearing is damaged. So they want to order the wheel hub bearing and a new wheel speed sensor. They estimate the cost at $1350 and half a day of labor. That seems pretty high to me since it’s a normal Golf and a rear wheel hub. I know a front wheel or a Golf R wheel bearing replacement would be more difficult since there is a drive shaft to deal with.

Anyone have any experience with having wheel bearings replaced? Does $1350 seem like a fair estimate?

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Astronomical price. The wheel bearing is less than 200 and a little more than basic hand tools required to change it. Giving crappy conditions no more than 2 hours labor tops. Grab a 12pack to convince a buddy to give moral support and save a boat load of money. Just my .02 cents.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Wheel bearing from FCP Euro. $75. New axel bolt. $7. Axel bolt is a stretch bolt and cannot be reused. New rear wheel speed sensor. $28. With shipping to HI $130.
3.png

Take off axel bolt/rim cover, break M18 triple square bolt loose, take off wheel, take off brake caliper (2 bolts)/carrier (2 bolts) and brake pads, take off rotor set screw, remove brake rotor. Take axel bolt complete out. Take off rear wheel bearing and put on new wheel bearing, reverse process. Torque to 150ft/lbs +90.
Send me $500. Or if your on Oahu you can check out Neue Auto. My friend had some work done there and they do good work.

Last edited:

jonatj

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the replies. Now I don't feel like I'm crazy for thinking that was ridiculous. @DSC808 Thanks for the video link. Thanks for recommending Neue Auto, I'll give them a call. I appreciate the moral support!

jonatj

Passed Driver's Ed
Just an update. I went to Neue Auto and they did a full check on all my wheel bearings. Turns out the bearings are fine, just the ABS speed sensor is kaput. So they will be fixing it for me Friday for much less than the stealership wanted. Nick was awesome and I’m looking forward to doing more work with them.