GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

scrllock

Autocross Champion
While Unitronic claims that their DSG tune can eliminate auto-up shift in manual mode, it doesn’t apply to my MK3 Audi TT. Certain cars/years they say it just can’t override. I find there are times I wished my car would hold a gear and hammer the limiter. I’ve also considered using APR’s DSG tune with my Unitronic Stage 2 engine tune, but APR said they may not work together properly. I want to test it as they have a multi step launch control (4k, 4.5k and 5k launch rpm values) versus just 4k with Unitronic. And maybe APR’s manual mode with up shift delete would work. I run Sport mode 99% of the time on course. -AB
should work fine, especially if you're in manual mode on a stock turbo tune anyway. you might need more clamping pressure for a turbo generating more torque, and might want to shift later in the torque band, but those concerns go away for your situation imo.
do you know the box code on your tcu? find it hard to believe that unitronic's claims are true vs. ignorance/lack of effort on their part.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I ran into an issue with my APR DSG tune - it would intermittently not upshift in manual mode even with it disabled. For some reason it would only do it if I was at about 80% throttle.

It bugged the hell out of me so I just got auto upshift disabled so it would be consistent. I've since figured it out... but man it was frustrating my first day on track with it to get used to manually upshifting myself (I previously only tapped the downshift paddle going into turns and let it auto-upshift on the stock DSG tune):

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
New question, do people with DSG cars have trouble keeping them in the desired gear while autocrossing? Are there transmissions tunes to fix any issues?
Here's some advice for DSG drivers.

I put it in manual, then I listen for the upshift to third.

Breaking into turns where I think I'll slow enough, I click off a down-shift.

If it goes to second, sweet!

If nothing happens, you should still be in second, sweet!

If it goes to first, you are really slow, be careful on track out!

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Had a lackluster start to the season yesterday. My tires are on their last legs and losing their grip, so I kept overdriving the car. Got sidewise once and saved it, got sidewise a second time and came around. Compounded with a course that put me well into 3rd gear in a few spots, it meant lots of unpredictability and understeer. LOL if the tires weren’t dead before, they’re dead af now 💀

Pulled off a couple better-controlled runs eventually.

Autox and TrackSprint next weekend so I gotta get my tire situation right before then. @GTIfan99 being a bro and helping me out with advice and options.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Had a lackluster start to the season yesterday. My tires are on their last legs and losing their grip, so I kept overdriving the car. Got sidewise once and saved it, got sidewise a second time and came around. Compounded with a course that put me well into 3rd gear in a few spots, it meant lots of unpredictability and understeer. LOL if the tires weren’t dead before, they’re dead af now 💀

Pulled off a couple better-controlled runs eventually.

Autox and TrackSprint next weekend so I gotta get my tire situation right before then. @GTIfan99 being a bro and helping me out with advice and options.
Dude, come pick up the wheels and order some tires. This is the way.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
1676820971045.gif

GoodlinesRacing

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Just jumping in here.

I race with a local club that uses SCCA classing, been fairly successful in STH but with limited competition. Going to try SCCA in April.

2020 GTI SE w/ DSG
VWR lowering springs
034 rear sway bar w/ SuperPro endlinks
Konig Ampliform 18x8.5 +43
245/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (reaching end of life)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1671033229573.jpg
    FB_IMG_1671033229573.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 30

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Just jumping in here.

I race with a local club that uses SCCA classing, been fairly successful in STH but with limited competition. Going to try SCCA in April.

2020 GTI SE w/ DSG
VWR lowering springs
034 rear sway bar w/ SuperPro endlinks
Konig Ampliform 18x8.5 +43
245/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (reaching end of life)
Orlando! Nice! Hopefully I’ll see you at some of the Central Florida Region events in Daytona or at the FIRM. I’m in Jax as is @GTIfan99.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Not STH, but got to drive an MR in ES. Holy cow what an eye opener. It gripped in corners at speeds it had no right to & that my Golf would've never done. I guess 2100 lbs, mid engine, rwd with 245 RE71RS will do that.

I was 2 seconds off pace of car owner(who's usually top 3 PAX), but was within a couple tenths of pace of other ES drivers. Being my first time in his car & first time driving a rwd since drifting my 92 B2600 on dirt roads 25 years ago. I'm happy with it.

Was 33rd out of 195 where I'm usually mid pack.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Not STH, but got to drive an MR in ES. Holy cow what an eye opener. It gripped in corners at speeds it had no right to & that my Golf would've never done. I guess 2100 lbs, mid engine, rwd with 245 RE71RS will do that.

I was 2 seconds off pace of car owner(who's usually top 3 PAX), but was within a couple tenths of pace of other ES drivers. Being my first time in his car & first time driving a rwd since drifting my 92 B2600 on dirt roads 25 years ago. I'm happy with it.

Was 33rd out of 195 where I'm usually mid pack.

I kick myself for getting rid of my STR prepped NC sometimes. RWD can be a lot of fun.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I kick myself for getting rid of my STR prepped NC sometimes. RWD can be a lot of fun.

He already found me a 99 Hard S Miata at a great price. Very tempting

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Redshift Kit should be here around the end of March. doing 8f/10r springs and adjustment up to an inch, will likely settle around -.25" -.5"
First test and tune for us is April 16 ( pending weather )
And I just completed an EQT stage 1 91 tune. ( also replaced and checked plugs )

I don't have any other mods currently. Tires are 615k+ which were okay last year, but given my experience with them I suspect I'll find their limit with the suspension changes this year. They still have plenty of life and I'm not interested in cycling them out early. I'll run them dead before I replace them.

I'm going to wait until at least the first few events are completed before deciding fsb/rsb. I'm not entirely sure where I'll land there.

Otherwise I'm considering
BMS CC
TIP / Pipe / drop in filter
Scroth quick fit
fsb and/or rsb pending coil over results

STH is my place to stay long term.
What should I put on deck after the coilovers? Seems like it's diminishing returns possibly past this point. Am I missing anything big for STH?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Redshift Kit should be here around the end of March. doing 8f/10r springs and adjustment up to an inch, will likely settle around -.25" -.5"
And I just completed an EQT stage 1 91 tune. ( also replaced and checked plugs )

I don't have any other mods currently. Tires are 615k+ which were okay last year, but given my experience with them I suspect I'll find their limit with the suspension changes this year. They still have plenty of life and I'm not interested in cycling them out early. I'll run them dead before I replace them.

I'm going to wait until at least the first few events are completed before deciding fsb/rsb. I'm not entirely sure where I'll land there.

BMS CC
Scroth quick fit

What should I put on deck after the coilovers? Seems like it's diminishing returns possibly past this point. Am I missing anything big for STH?
Don't go any lower than a stock R.

Ask me how I know.

Definitely the CC.

Consider offset LCA bushings, in addition to your list.

scrllock

Autocross Champion

BMS CC
Scroth quick fit

The bigger items after that would be an intercooler and a real LSD, even if you plan on sticking with the stock downpipe. IMO stiffening some of the bushings is worthwhile for feedback, but pretty low priority for real-world performance.