GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Also... nobody willing to share ride heights, wheel center to fender?

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Finally speccing out Ohlins (stock issues, yay!) Probably going with the older, basically-stock-ride-height version but I'm fine with that. Thinking keeping stock front (70N/mm - 400lb/in), revalved and up-sprung rear (110N/mm - 635lb/in). Puts my roll couple somewhere around 64% including my roll bars, with adjustment to go softer rear/stiffer front. Revalve should allow me to go up to about 130N/mm (740lb/in) before I start having problems with underdamping.

This all seem reasonable in an R that also sees a lot of DD use?

Autocross? HPDE? What are your actual goals within those arenas?

What I'm getting at is... while the Ohlins are awesome, it's not like there's no other options. (If this has all been covered, ignore this)

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Finally speccing out Ohlins (stock issues, yay!) Probably going with the older, basically-stock-ride-height version but I'm fine with that. Thinking keeping stock front (70N/mm - 400lb/in), revalved and up-sprung rear (110N/mm - 635lb/in). Puts my roll couple somewhere around 64% including my roll bars, with adjustment to go softer rear/stiffer front. Revalve should allow me to go up to about 130N/mm (740lb/in) before I start having problems with underdamping.

Looks good for an aggressive DD setup, with adjustable bars / alignment doing the rest

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I'm not even sure how it's debatable? But keep beating that horse.
I'm not saying that you are wrong. Your "evidence" has been non-existent.

Ok..how about Ron Williams? 255 front, 215 rear in the civic last month, in Lincoln.
If this is true it's a great example. I didn't know this until right now. @xXDavidCXx have you seen that?

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE

If this is true it's a great example. I didn't know this until right now. @xXDavidCXx have you seen that?

He was testing the new Kumho's on that setup.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I have been out of the country, so I haven't seen anything.

To be honest, I don't care.

Right now, I'm not going to spend money on new wheels and tires when what I have rocks! No reason to change the setup mid-season.

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
I just want to know who got close enough to Ron’s car to figure that out.

Wonder if he does that to avoid having a rear bar? Did he swap the front and then get rotation by staggering his tire sizes?

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I just want to know who got close enough to Ron’s car to figure that out.

Wonder if he does that to avoid having a rear bar? Did he swap the front and then get rotation by staggering his tire sizes?

Many of the top folks running national events know what the rest of top guys are doing. Of note, there were multiple GS cars on staggered setups at Lincoln, not just Ron. As so "how did they get close enough".... umm, sitting in impound with nothing better to do would be my thought. That's what I used to do.

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport

I ordered Ohlins back at the beginning of April and its my understanding they are getting ready to ship 'any day now'. Good luck

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Autocross? HPDE? What are your actual goals within those arenas?

What I'm getting at is... while the Ohlins are awesome, it's not like there's no other options. (If this has all been covered, ignore this)
Primarily DD, 1-2 autox a month, right now no HPDE but hoping to do a couple a year starting next year.

My build in general is going for dual use. I'm not strictly STU spec so not trying to make nationals of anything, but I want a build that will be fun and engaging to drive at autox and not have me 4 seconds back or fighting the car without punishing me for DD.

Mods now are stg1, css knuckles, neuspeed rsb, superpro fsb, rs3 LCA bushings, and strut braces. 17x9" wheels coming for autox/hpde duty. Settled on Ohlins over redshift or similar as they seem to be the same balance of comfort and performance.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Got it, my 2 examples aren't evidence, the 1 example is.

Also, I don't need to provide evidence that stagger is a great tuning tool that's been used forever. Again, not even debatable.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Got it, my 2 examples aren't evidence, the 1 example is.
It's just that I looked into what you said and as far as I can tell your "stacks of jackets" thing wasn't confirmed in the results.

Half of your 2 examples haven't been to Nationals since the 200tw change over (maybe he registered under a different name?) and the other half won jackets in a car with 17x7" wide wheels and no independent rear suspension.

Ron Williams on the other hand has won a jacket every year? since the 200tw change and most recently in the GS Civic, 18x8" wheel, and similar suspension kinematics. And was testing on the same surface for exactly what we are talking and it happened a couple weeks ago. Don't you see why that's a better example?