GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
The surface was pretty far from smooth, so idk about the rear being too bouncy. Maybe? I didn't notice anything behind the wheel besides thinking there are a lot of bumps here. I didn't think the car looked bad while my dad was on course.

I don't think camber is the issue. The way the torque hits is just so severe, I don't think it would matter what my camber setting is. It makes it really hard because it's like...wait wait wait BOOM EVERYTHING NOW!!! So I'm either going to mess with the torque limiter (enable it again) or think about different tuning options with more linear power output.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
The surface was pretty far from smooth, so idk about the rear being too bouncy. Maybe? I didn't notice anything behind the wheel besides thinking there are a lot of bumps here. I didn't think the car looked bad while my dad was on course.

I don't think camber is the issue. The way the torque hits is just so severe, I don't think it would matter what my camber setting is. It makes it really hard because it's like...wait wait wait BOOM EVERYTHING NOW!!! So I'm either going to mess with the torque limiter (enable it again) or think about different tuning options with more linear power output.
I wonder what sort of custom tune could be made for more linear boost in 2nd gear. Or even if a lower-torque tune might help drivability

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I found the APR Stg 1 low torque tune easy to manage on a road course with my PP GTi. Only one 2nd gear corner though. Auto-X courses are tighter with more steering lock. So more difficult to manage traction.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Some 265 RT660s up front should fix everything. 🤣

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I have a pair, but only one pair.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I wonder what sort of custom tune could be made for more linear boost in 2nd gear. Or even if a lower-torque tune might help drivability

I'm on the 2.50 Stg 1 EQT tune. It's pretty linear. It's fine everywhere but exit of tighter turns, like turn arounds. My buddies stg 2 EQT is much better pulling out of tighter sections.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Yeah, and the EQT ones have the COBB TCS stuff. Jury is still out on that legality though.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yeah, and the EQT ones have the COBB TCS stuff. Jury is still out on that legality though.

You can turn it off or order it without TC. I've been turning it off.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
You can turn it off or order it without TC. I've been turning it off.
Would you be willing to post what that looks like or PM it to me? Talking to a local, he thought he needed a whole new tune to disable the COBB portion of the TCS.

I'm not accusing anything here, I'm saying if it turns out to be legal, I want it.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Would you be willing to post what that looks like or PM it to me? Talking to a local, he thought he needed a whole new tune to disable the COBB portion of the TCS.

I'm not accusing anything here, I'm saying if it turns out to be legal, I want it.

I'll see if I can take a couple screens screenshots to walk him through it. You can also run in Dynamic, which Cobbs TC isn't active with.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm on the 2.50 Stg 1 EQT tune. It's pretty linear. It's fine everywhere but exit of tighter turns, like turn arounds. My buddies stg 2 EQT is much better pulling out of tighter sections.
Why didn't you upgrade to the 2.51 version to take advantage of the lower coolant and oil temperatures plus other refinements?

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Here are the videos from the ass kicking I received last weekend at the Tour. I really struggled with power application. I didn't expect to be able to bust 2 tires free so easily since it didn't happen in the other warm weather events that I went to. The inside edges of the fronts got roasted. There are a few examples in the videos but I was doing my best to mitigate it with throttle application.

So if I've analyzed this right, loose over bumps when turning, understeers on throttle and maybe some over driving in the sweepers?

What were your shock settings?

I found at the heartland park skid pad, which is a very similar surface with long runs of asphalt with bumps in the seams, that I had to run much less rebound than I do for Lincoln.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Why didn't you upgrade to the 2.51 version to take advantage of the lower coolant and oil temperatures plus other refinements?

I will before next track day. Autocross and street driving it isn't an issue, so I haven't bothered.

Isn't there now a 2.52 with more linear throttle response?