Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It should be pretty easy to experiment.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
I wonder if the XDS is "fighting" the LSD because it's not seeing the expected wheel speed difference? With an actual LSD I'd go full off, the LSD should do the work.
This is my thought as well. I vaugely recall reading that other people had similar issues and turning XDS off fixed it.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
After my Wavetrac install, I’ve switched off XDS and kept my VAQ set to increased traction.
Haven’t been to the track yet.

The VAQ inserts directly into the splined section on the LHS of the Wavetrac.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Do your Fak510's feel stiffer?

I'll let you know when they're mounted. I have my snows on the car now, and the FK510s are going to be mounted on my autocross wheels which still have the A052s on them
An update on these because they just went on the car this week, been driving them today and just got my alignment. I'd say so far I like them way better than the GMax RS that they replaced, but there's a big asterisk there. These are 235 on an 8.5" wheel, the GMax were 225 on a 7.5" wheel, those definitely felt sloppier. These feel like they have more grip, but they're a 300tw vs the GMax being 340 so no surprises there. For the same price as the GMax, I'm a fan. They feel grippy enough to be an AutoX rain tire in a pinch (but nothing as good as a proper MP4S dedicated rain setup).

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
An update on these because they just went on the car this week, been driving them today and just got my alignment. I'd say so far I like them way better than the GMax RS that they replaced, but there's a big asterisk there. These are 235 on an 8.5" wheel, the GMax were 225 on a 7.5" wheel, those definitely felt sloppier. These feel like they have more grip, but they're a 300tw vs the GMax being 340 so no surprises there. For the same price as the GMax, I'm a fan. They feel grippy enough to be an AutoX rain tire in a pinch (but nothing as good as a proper MP4S dedicated rain setup).
Thanks for the input.

eSienk

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
I wonder if the XDS is "fighting" the LSD because it's not seeing the expected wheel speed difference? With an actual LSD I'd go full off, the LSD should do the work.
I have no aftermarket LSD and the XDS, trac. controls, and VAQ are all at their factory "Sport" settings and long pressed.
Only three events in the car and have never experienced anything near overheating and it was 80+ degrees down in Dixie.

It makes sense that the Wavetrac should overwrite the function of the VAQ. Just throw ole' VAQ in the dumpster for an event and let us know what happens!

Side note: anyone know anybody who produces a diff for the 7 spd DSG?

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
@JackRabbitSLIM I just saw Charolette ProSolo was called due to some timing issues? You get any runs in?
The Pro was cancelled before anyone got 2nd day runs, so the final results were from the first 2 sessions only.

I didn't get to try the car with XDS off, we'll see about that next time I guess. I'm pretty interested to find out what happens. Assuming the brake issue was caused by XDS, I wonder how the car is going to change. Idk if it'll be better or worse. I feel pretty stupid about that since I've suggested on here that S trim w/ an aftermarket diff and XDS off was the way to go...I'm an idiot.

Overall I was pretty happy with the car. It handled better than I expected and I really appreciated that even in 40 and 50 degree temps with .25" rear toe out, the car was not snappy. It was plenty loose for the first run but totally controllable imo. Hopefully it doesn't end up being too tight once it warms up. I had the rear bar on soft and the shocks set to trend on the tight side (20/30F and 10/30R).

I didn't think I'd finish as high as 4th in the PAX class S5. I was hoping I could run near Piehl in raw time, which I accomplished. But, looking at my video my execution was fair at best. The courses were difficult in a similar way to 2019 Nationals east course where there were a bunch of walls on corner exit that you needed to go all the way up to to be fast. I was under driving and missing the exit walls by multiple feet this weekend. Part of it was commitment at entry, but also it's tough to get used to the power lag which ended up meaning corners exits are slower than I meant (EDIT: I wonder if XDS was adding to this). Anyway, I had definite plans to find speed with the AM runs that got cancelled. Had we run I think the conditions were such that people would have been finding time. Idk if I would have moved up or down in the results...

Here are the videos, the right side is the dirty run that was .2s (.8xx light too) faster than my scoring run.

Last edited:

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
The Pro was cancelled before anyone got 2nd day runs, so the final results were from the first 2 sessions only.

I didn't get to try the car with XDS off, we'll see about that next time I guess. I'm pretty interested to find out what happens. Assuming the brake issue was caused by XDS, I wonder how the car is going to change. Idk if it'll be better or worse. I feel pretty stupid about that since I've suggested on here that S trim w/ an aftermarket diff and XDS off was the way to go...I'm an idiot.

Overall I was pretty happy with the car. It handled better than I expected and I really appreciated that even in 40 and 50 degree temps with .25" rear toe out, the car was not snappy. It was plenty loose for the first run but totally controllable imo. Hopefully it doesn't end up being too tight once it warms up. I had the rear bar on soft and the shocks set to trend on the tight side (20/30F and 10/30R).

I didn't think I'd finish as high as 4th in the PAX class S5. I was hoping I could run near Piehl in raw time, which I accomplished. But, looking at my video my execution was fair at best. The courses were difficult in a similar way to 2019 Nationals east course where there were a bunch of walls on corner exit that you needed to go all the way up to to be fast. I was under driving and missing the exit walls by multiple feet this weekend. Part of it was commitment at entry, but also it's tough to get used to the power lag which ended up meaning corners exits are slower than I meant (EDIT: I wonder if XDS was adding to this). Anyway, I had definite plans to find speed with the AM runs that got cancelled. Had we run I think the conditions were such that people would have been finding time. Idk if I would have moved up or down in the results...

Here are the videos, the right side is the dirty run that was .2s (.8xx light too) faster than my scoring run.
Oof, that layout looked painful & I don't miss that surface.

How's the transitional speed with the stiffer springs?

Have an overall assessment of the spring rates?

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Oof, that layout looked painful & I don't miss that surface.

How's the transitional speed with the stiffer springs?

Have an overall assessment of the spring rates?
People seem to be upset with the courses, but I really wasn't.

For transitional speed and spring rates, the weather was absolutely a factor but the car handled much better than I expected it to. That's really all I can say.

I don't know where XDS was intervening which is making me questions everything.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
People seem to be upset with the courses, but I really wasn't.

For transitional speed and spring rates, the weather was absolutely a factor but the car handled much better than I expected it to. That's really all I can say.

I don't know where XDS was intervening which is making me questions everything.
The only way to 100% defeat all intervention is pull the ABS fuse, but then no ABS, which can be an issue if you run on really old asphalt. Ask me how I know. Lol.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Currently running 265/35r18 on a 18x9 et44 3mm spacer at 25.75" ftg with no rubbing.

Going with Falken 615 (cause they're cheap) or rsr in 265. I have a regular Golf and don't have the fuel filler problem.

Will I run into any other issues and should I go 255 instead?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Currently running 265/35r18 on a 18x9 et44 3mm spacer at 25.75" ftg with no rubbing.

Going with Falken 615 (cause they're cheap) or rsr in 265. I have a regular Golf and don't have the fuel filler problem.

Will I run into any other issues and should I go 255 instead?
Why doesn't the regular golf have fuel filler issue?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Why doesn't the regular golf have fuel filler issue?

I guess I should rephrase that I haven't had an issue. It could be an issue I guess. Don't see why it would be different than the GTI. I know the Golf uses steel suspension parts that are thinner than the aluminum GTI parts, but I'm not mechanically inclined enough to know if this makes any difference in the back with the fuel filler. I know it makes a difference in the front when installing 17z or 18z brake kits