GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I was going to use the bump stops as a tuning method, until I purchased the Ohlins.

I created spacers to engage the bump-stops sooner and to arrest the body roll sooner in the stroke. It worked on the street and I could stack the spacers to engage sooner or later.

All that to say, the OEM bump stops are fairly thick and hitting the bump stops is not necessarily terrible.

Exactly my thoughts.

In the Miata community, tuning with bump stops is a real thing. 🤣

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Exactly where I was going too...

I'm still on very wimpy springs, which was my compromise from a daily driver/commuter standpoint.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Exactly where I was going too...

I'm still on very wimpy springs, which was my compromise from a daily driver/commuter standpoint.

Any springs stiff enough to keep you off the bump stops in a street car will remove your fillings. Been there, done that, will never do that again.

I guarantee on the APR springs I'm hitting the bump stops.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Initial reporting from post test-n-tune, the softer front bar is the correct direction to move in.

Also ended the day going to the stiffest setting on the 034 rear bar. Could use more rear rotation, it's just beginning to want to rotate.

In other news, I drove Dave @aroundomaha 's GS GTI at the test-n-tune. He's got a simple setup, but it rotates much better than my car.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Initial reporting from post test-n-tune, the softer front bar is the correct direction to move in.

Also ended the day going to the stiffest setting on the 034 rear bar. Could use more rear rotation, it's just beginning to want to rotate.

In other news, I drove Dave @aroundomaha 's GS GTI at the test-n-tune. He's got a simple setup, but it rotates much better than my car.

What's his setup?

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Quick question. I'm at the track and my launch control is intermittent at best. Would not engage on track, but did 3 times in a row in the parking lot. Ran slow due to horrible launch and sleeping on the line. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20200725_192526.jpg
    20200725_192526.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 79

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Quick question. I'm at the track and my launch control is intermittent at best. Would not engage on track, but did 3 times in a row in the parking lot. Ran slow due to horrible launch and sleeping on the line. Thoughts?
Launch control won't work if the car is too hot (I think oil, coolant, or transmission temps). Also requires TC off unless you're tuned. Make sure both pedals are to the floor, if you don't get either all the way down it won't work.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
H&R rear bar and RE71Rs in stock sizes, I think. Unknown alignment.

My GS setup rotated better than my current setup. I'm just reluctant to change alignment until I get the Konis on, but I'm up in the air whether to just bite the bullet and get a good set of coils. It's internal struggle, because my goal was a mild build with CSS as my real target.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
My GS setup rotated better than my current setup. I'm just reluctant to change alignment until I get the Konis on, but I'm up in the air whether to just bite the bullet and get a good set of coils. It's internal struggle, because my goal was a mild build with CSS as my real target.
CSS?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You can basically get CSS perf in a STH build, minus the weight savings.

What about your build needs to be mild? Is it just down to how much you are willing to spend?

I want the performance and streetability of the CSS. I don't more how better to explain it. The factory did a good job optimizing the car without adding a lot of NVH. I'm working to keep upping the performances of my car, but I want it to feel like it's something the factory could have done.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I want the performance and streetability of the CSS. I don't more how better to explain it. The factory did a good job optimizing the car without adding a lot of NVH. I'm working to keep upping the performances of my car, but I want it to feel like it's something the factory could have done.
Öhlins gives you the street-ability of stock, even better over bumps.