GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Automotive Custom Etune

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
Lately I've been seeing a KR on cylinder 1 at full thrill boost onset. Heres a Datazap example log. Not every time and it doesn't happing if I roll into the throttle.
I had a custom Etune from Stratified done the beginning of this year.

https://datazap.me/u/75/3?log=0&data=2-4-7-15

Is it always the same cylinder? Have you checked your spark plugs and their gapping?

Gojiragojira

Passed Driver's Ed
Is it always the same cylinder? Have you checked your spark plugs and their gapping?

Slightly different question - is it at all normal if we see KR show up at low med throttle / low med boost in a relatively higher gear for it to be caused by improperly gapped plugs?

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
Slightly different question - is it at all normal if we see KR show up at low med throttle / low med boost in a relatively higher gear for it to be caused by improperly gapped plugs?

It's fairly normal to see some KR while driving around. Usually anything -3-0 is fine. Thats just the car's ecu pulling some timing, which could be any number of reasons and will happen when just regularly driving around. After -3 that usually means you're getting a bit of knock. A little hit here and there isn't necessarily bad, but if it's consistent or new then you may want to check plugs, gas quality, filters etc.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
Read the fueling article, just found out Cobb now supports MPI...nice!

Yep they have for a couple months now :) Now we just need flexfuel.
Also if you haven't updated the AP in a while Cobb now supports auto on/off

Usually cylinder 1 or 2. Just changed the spark plugs to RS7 and gapped them to .026

Ok if they're all gapped to that then they shouldn't be a problem. You can always check your coil packs are seated properly. One thing you can try is to move plugs around and see if the knock changes cylinders, same with plugs.

Is this a new issue, or have you had it since your tuning started?

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE, Audi S5
So it was a new issue that cropped up. I was due to change the plugs so I went ahead and did that but nothing changed, so I reflashed about a week ago and it’s basically gone. I dont know much about VW tuning logic but it sounds like it was learned behavior and preemptively pulling timing during those conditions. Either that or fuel/atmospheric conditions, who knows?

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
No flexfuel for vw. Talked to Cobb twice about it.

Also my AP (albeit subaru) has had an auto on/off feature since i bought it in mid 2018.

I thought VW was the more advanced machine of the two..

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
when did you talk to them about it? I spoke with them last week and they said it's in the works????
@Navi.. i talked to them mid 2018 and then late 2018 again. They told me both times same things, no flex fuel plans for vw.

I hope that things have changed. I always like to call 2-3 times and ask same questions. Experience has shown me that sometimes you don’t necessarily get the same answers. This time i did so i didnt call a third time.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
@Navi Yes it is. But also Subarus have had flex kits for many many years so what gives?

Also, depending on your circumstances and needs you may not necessarily need a flex kit. I havent used 91oct since getting dual fuel tuned. So really i could have gotten away with an ethanol gauge and thats it. But sometimes you dont know that until its too late.

Also, you will have to retune for both fuels if on cobb. Ask me how i know..

So then assuming they have a flex kit are you willing to pay 6-650$ for kit, then another 4-800$ for retuning? Vs just getting another eblend tune and running that.

Sure you have to switch maps, but how often are you gonna need to? I have 15k miles on e51 and dont plan on using 91oct unless e85 runs out. So things to consider.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
I don't mind paying for a flex fuel kit and retuning. It's either that or buy a Civic Type R and get the Hondata fuel system upgrade :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Just hung up w HJ from cobb. Again, no flex fuel in the works or plans to make one for vw.

I asked if he was being secretive and he said he isnt.