GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Automotive Custom Etune

GoatPowder

Ready to race!
Is your downpipe clearing the diff heat shield?

Downpipe close to anything (less than 1")?

Are you still on factory mounts?

Under load makes me suspect the pipe is contacting something when the engine tilts.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Is your downpipe clearing the diff heat shield?

Downpipe close to anything (less than 1")?

Are you still on factory mounts?

Under load makes me suspect the pipe is contacting something when the engine tilts.

Looked like it was clearing everything when I had the car up on ramps at my parents' house earlier.

It might be possible its an inch close to something.

Yes factory mounts.

On Saturday the car sounded fine until I did a few pulls on the highway and the noise became apparent around 5k in 3rd. Again I figured it was from the clamp loosening up from the torque around the dp/turbo. But now it happens even under very mild throttle.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
something came loose or shifted. Probably an exhaust clamp.

I'll probably just have Midas weld everything together tomorrow... an exhaust clamp coming loose is the only other thing I think it could be.

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I had re-adjusted the vband and found it wasn't fitted properly. It is now sealed correctly and while some of the noise seemed to go away, it is still there. It comes on at 2500 rpms and from my research other people had the same issue from wastegate rattle. However they also said it goes away at higher RPMs, whereas mine gets louder and louder as the RPMs climbs and/or I give it more gas.

Now that I think about it, I remember seeing the ap3 log boost peaking at 26 psi lately and before it was always at 24, could that be a sign there's something wrong? Or is it more likely the boost was increased during the final revisions of the tune?

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Finally was able to get it on a lift and it turns out the o2 sensor plug on the downpipe had popped out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Ya, I didn't even bother to think about checking it when it installing it like I should've. Just saw it was there and figured it was good. Car sounds much deeper and more refined now. I'm a happy hombre.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Hey guys, sorry if this was already covered. I read through about the past 20 pages, but didn't see anything.

I currently have a JB4 that I have on map 2 running 93 octane. 2016 SE DSG. The only bolt on mod I currently have is an ECS intake. I've been considering getting rid of the JB4, and going with a stage 1 Stratified tune. How much of a difference would I notice? I've considered adding a downpipe, but am hesitant due to sound (I don't really want louder than stock) and possible emissions problems. So I can't say when I would move up to stage 2.

Thanks.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ya, I didn't even bother to think about checking it when it installing it like I should've. Just saw it was there and figured it was good. Car sounds much deeper and more refined now. I'm a happy hombre.

Nothing better than a happy BadHombre. :D

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
Hey guys, sorry if this was already covered. I read through about the past 20 pages, but didn't see anything.

I currently have a JB4 that I have on map 2 running 93 octane. 2016 SE DSG. The only bolt on mod I currently have is an ECS intake. I've been considering getting rid of the JB4, and going with a stage 1 Stratified tune. How much of a difference would I notice? I've considered adding a downpipe, but am hesitant due to sound (I don't really want louder than stock) and possible emissions problems. So I can't say when I would move up to stage 2.

Thanks.

There will be a pretty big difference. Map 2 isn't their custom map so you're not pushing the JB4 to it's potential. Even then you'd be able to make more with a custom tune. I was at a dyno day with a guy who had a JB4 stage 2 with some ethanol, running map 6. I put down 10 more whp than he did and I just have an air filter and cat back exhaust.

The Downpipe will add a good amount of power, if you still have the stock exhaust it'l restrict the flow and won't get as much power as if you had an aftermarket/freer flowing exhaust. The noise increase shouldn't be anything to dramatic as the oem exhaust will cover most of it.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I remember looking at the jb4 option before getting tuned and it seemed like it wasn't really worth it for the money. I know it's supposed to be harder for dealers to detect, but IIRC the power was about half way between stock and a real tune.

And don't fear the downpipe, it only adds good noises. As long as the o2 plug hasn't popped out lmao

Nothing better than a happy BadHombre. :D

My tires and clutch aren't as happy about it tho lol