GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock exhaust... loud?!?

Lager_Ace

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I feel silly posting this, but I've never heard my car while in motion from the outside. The ONE time my wife drove it, I was in the passenger seat. I have a mechanically stock Mk7 Golf R with the stock exhaust that has the flaps coded open. I've been told time and time again by my wife, my kids, the neighbors, my mother, etc., that they can hear my car from afar. My mother jokes with me that "the kids are right, we can hear you coming long before we can see you!"

Sure, there is a little bit of a grumble at idle, but to me the exhaust tone seems tame but maybe I am missing something since I've never heard it in motion w/o sitting it..

Thoughts ...?
Mine exhaust is stock as well and I like it. I've noticed it has a deeper sound when it's going slow down the street with the flaps open as well. Coming up behind people, they turn their heads. I also like taking off with the flaps close, kinda like driving an E-Golf ;);)

steinfeld

Passed Driver's Ed
It's noticeably louder with the flaps coded open. I think its perfect as its not too obnoxiously loud where neighbours would complain. You should get your wife to drive the car while you observe the noise levels on the sidewalk.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Up to 1500 RPM the flaps stay open, so at low speeds it's louder. I sometimes code mine open and the drone when slowing down gets loud at 60 and 30 MPH.

zepharus1

The stock R is quiet.. or you need better insulation on your house, maybe?
If the flaps are coded open its louder than any avg car and enough to be rice. Lets no kid here it also Drones at highway speeds with the flaps open. I leave my normal... but then again I'm getting old and want you off my lawn too. that noise is for immature kids, like it or not.