GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

stock 6mt clutch

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Almost bought the Spec 2+ clutch myself.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I have to imagine the R manual has a better clutch than the GTI. The actual cost for VW to have used that clutch is negligible. It's just stupidity to hamper the car like this. Maybe they want to push us all to DSG?
Same clutch, no?

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
It seems the South Bend or Sachs is a pretty common choice. I'm still debating what to move to.
Another one to consider is ACT. https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/act-performance-clutch-kit-street-15-gti-golf-r-gli

This is the one I've got in my GTI after my clutch slipped on the first pull post flashing Stage 2. Cheaper than the South Bend stage 2, and rated at 500ft/lb. Pedal feel is almost exactly the same as the stock clutch. There's a little bit of chatter from the SMF but you learn to live with it. Racecar things.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Another one to consider is ACT. https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/act-performance-clutch-kit-street-15-gti-golf-r-gli

This is the one I've got in my GTI after my clutch slipped on the first pull post flashing Stage 2. Cheaper than the South Bend stage 2, and rated at 500ft/lb. Pedal feel is almost exactly the same as the stock clutch. There's a little bit of chatter from the SMF but you learn to live with it. Racecar things.
I have this clutch as well. It's awesome. The chatter is just enough to let others know that your car isnt normal.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have this clutch as well. It's awesome. The chatter is just enough to let others know that your car isnt normal.
What I really need is a DMF that holds stg 2 protune power.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I hear some saying that if you go big turbo you want to go back to a DMF. I would think you would the single, for the faster revs for spooling the bigger turbo quicker?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I hear some saying that if you go big turbo you want to go back to a DMF. I would think you would the single, for the faster revs for spooling the bigger turbo quicker?
His parking lot racing club won't let him use a SMF.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yep, morons can kill the stock clutch at stock power and you can preserve the stock clutch at higher power levels if you understand what makes the clutch slip and avoid doing those things. It's that simple.

It doesn't make the stock clutch good though.

I have to imagine the R manual has a better clutch than the GTI. The actual cost for VW to have used that clutch is negligible. It's just stupidity to hamper the car like this. Maybe they want to push us all to DSG?
It’s a “hot” commuter car… they will use the least amount of clutch pressure and friction material to hold the stock power so it’s the “easiest” to drive for consumers. Everything I’ve seen is They use the same pressure plate and disc construction wise, The way the is38 makes the TQ helps that it’s not overpowering the clutch like a tuned is20.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It’s a “hot” commuter car… they will use the least amount of clutch pressure and friction material to hold the stock power so it’s the “easiest” to drive for consumers. Everything I’ve seen is They use the same pressure plate and disc construction wise, The way the is38 makes the TQ helps that it’s not overpowering the clutch like a tuned is20.
I never felt the clutch in my NC Miatas were particularly firm, until I drove the GTI.

The GTI has the lightest clutch I've ever owned, period. We're they going for the 80 year old retirees wanting to still drive a manual? WTF. You could double the required pressure and it would still be lighter than a car designed for hairdressers.