GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering wheel defect

tavio025

I was cleaning the inside of my gti and I noticed that my steering wheel had this weird bump... I’ve tried using leather cleaner to see if I could get it off and nothing has worked. Car is still under warranty but with stuff like the this dealer tends to blow it off. Let me know what you guys think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't see what you're talking about. Maybe I can't see very good.

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
Sometimes skin oils and sweat (or any hand lotion) can cause premature wear on leather steering wheels. Are you often gripping or holding that area of the steering wheel?

tavio025

I typically drive on the highway with my hand to left of the steering. Not usually in that steering area unless I’m driving around at city speeds. Might have to consider wrapping the steering wheel so it doesn’t get worse. Ordered chemical guys leather cleaner and conditioner. Gonna give that a go and see if it helps at all. If not a wrap it is to prevent it from getting worse.

tavio025

Well, hi friend, I'm at 31,444 in my 2017.

Did you always notice this or is it recent? There's a limit on interior warranty items and you're beyond it (I think), but it is worth an ask at the dealership.

Just today when I was cleaning the steering wheel. So annoyed!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
The picture is not very clear, but If it’s an actual physical bump then cleaner is not the answer, if you keep going at it with cleaner then the dye will start to come out of the leather so be careful! From the picture it looks kind of like this may have already started to happen?!

As a side note, The best thing BY FAR for cleaning a leather steering wheel is some warm water and a magic sponge, periodically squeeze the sponge out into the bowl of warm water then gently wipe as you go with a clean microfibre cloth, do not rub hard with the sponge or repeatedly keep going over it, the results are an as new wheel with all that nasty grease from your hands removed (which you will now see in the bowl of water), then lightly treat with leather conditioner.