GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering angle sensor causing multiple warnings

goni

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, iv been having this issue lately when starting the car mostly in the mornings or after sitting for longer in cold temps the steering red light will come up along with esp tpms and bunch of other errors and no power steering , the issue always resolves after restarting the car locking and unlocking couple of times, the OBD errors always show up the same in 03 is : Steering angle sensor : Voltage too low ,and in 44: Internal Malfunction.
Battery is new and coded, car starts without hesitation . Can this be related to gateway being replaced ? Car had G version of gateway wich was replaced by F with older SW version bc of AID upgrade. Otherwise there is no other issue related
Steering rack is : H: 3Q0909144E
S : 3Q0909144D sw: 5011

Car is GTD 2013

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Maybe needs a steering calibration???....going to an earlier gateway than it came with might have messed things up if it wasn't coded correctly...

Really need the fault code numbers...you could look on the Ross-tech forum...

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
These sensors are not as robust as we want them to be. This was one of the main reasons I got rid of my Corvette as that steering wheel position sensor went out THREE times in the five years I had that car and, being out of warranty, was a pain to pay for every time it happened. So it seems the Golf has a similar system.

If that sensor goes out the car will think the input of the steering wheel does not match the positions of the wheels or the G loads on the car and attempt to "correct" the car's attitude with differential braking at each wheel to get you back on track but the problem is you're just driving normally with no drama. UNTIL the car starts freaking out due to a bad sensor. Unreal they don't have a fail-safe system. There were several instances of this happening to Corvette drivers on the freeway at speed. Not good.

This is not something you want to tinker with in coding. You need to have it looked at, tested, fixed and calibrated by a professional who knows what they are doing. So golfdave is right - a calibration is in order. Or at least a visit to a tech who knows what they are doing.

goni

Passed Driver's Ed
Maybe needs a steering calibration???....going to an earlier gateway than it came with might have messed things up if it wasn't coded correctly...

Really need the fault code numbers...you could look on the Ross-tech forum...
Do you think that this would cause intermittent problems ? If it would be out of calibration it would always show a yellow steering light ? Im sorry i don't have much knowledge jusy trying to understand . Too many opinions here from dealers sb saying I need to update steering angle software sb says its a gateway issue draining power overnight some saying steering rack is done, I will carry out some tests in weekend starting from alternator and keep you informed .thanks

goni

Passed Driver's Ed
As the fault now happens everyday i managed to get the codes , some weird thing i noticed after car was left in garage from previous night the voltage eith ignition on today was reading 11v and when i crancked the car it went to 7v and then 14v charging seconds before errors showing up
Screenshot_20220120-134541_OBDeleven.jpg
Screenshot_20220120-134521_OBDeleven.jpg

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
As the fault now happens everyday i managed to get the codes , some weird thing i noticed after car was left in garage from previous night the voltage eith ignition on today was reading 11v and when i crancked the car it went to 7v and then 14v charging seconds before errors showing up
If the battery is low but shows good when charging then drops when charging is ended that indicates the battery is likely on the way out and failure is imminent. It can LOOK like it's charged up but as soon as you remove the charging source and it drops, that means it's no longer able to HOLD that charge and is probably best if you replace it right away.

You might be able to charge it up with a Battery Tender or a Noco charger which will work and then show the battery as fully charged but, as soon as you remove the charger, the battery will not register 12-13 volts and will drop below 11 most likely. That indicates the battery won't hold a charge and is gone.

goni

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, it seems in my case fault was the new battery fluctating a lot and causing big voltage drop at start wich would trigger the faults, i swapped batteries with a friend and the issue has not occured again...at least till now

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah, you're supposed to make sure to set it in OBD11 to the right battery type so that the ECU knows what to charge it to and all that. If you chose the wrong battery type, it might not have been providing the right voltage/amperage from the alternator. Did you go from a regular lead to a gel or vice-versa?

goni

Passed Driver's Ed
Car was in oem agm 68 ah battery that was replaced with a varta silver dynamic 70ah . I did the coding right changin manufacture to VAO , ah to 70 and serial number to a new one but aftet a very short time i started to have problems , I will wait and see if the problem will come back so that would mean the car is not charging the battery as it should or something gateway related

goni

Passed Driver's Ed
Issue came back for me again, so obviously car is dropping voltage somehow , prime suspect is the gateway now