GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 TCU with Stage 1+ ECU

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
In for more info. I'm still debating APR's 93 oct Stage 1 ECU tune or Uni's Stage 1+ ECU tune. Before making a decision, it would be good to have a clear answer on the difference between Uni's S1 and S1+ TCU tune. How does either compare to APR's Stage 1 TCU tune?

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I'm not sure how one can really compare TCU software from different tuners. Most people aren't going to go to the trouble and expense of buying and installing more than one, and in any case we as users can only guess how some parameters, such as clamping force, are modified.

One thing I do know: I would not mix ECU and TCU software from different tuners. Not only for potential incompatibility, but rather because if any kind of problem does arise, the two tuners are likely to blame each other, and that won't help me.

Neil
Stage 1 Uni TCU & ECU

GolfGTI2014

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks, I am only looking to go TCU Stage 2 to get the benefit of the kickdown defeat, which is a problem for me on track days. Unitronic says that there are folks running ECU Stage 1 and 1+ with Stage 2 TCU, but should be used at my own discretion... so, I am looking for some real world feedback...

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Can't provide any experiential feedback, but just on paper it sounds totally doable. Stage 1/1+ ECU can be mated to TCU without any issues, but I don't think the same could be said the other way around (Stage 2 ECU, Stage 1 TCU)

I say do it! That, or you could get a custom TCU tune with the Cobb AP

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Looks like anotero is (or was) running Uni Stage 1 ECU with Stage 2 TCU tune. See the thread here.

A stage 1 ECU from Uni is one of the best ways to spend 600 bucks. I've had it for 20k+ miles, love it.
I got a st.2 DSG from Uni as well because I wanted kickdown and automatic upshifts removed. It also improves the shift speed in manual mode (the only mode I drive in). Maybe I will go ECU st.2 eventually, so my DSG will be ready.

As people mentioned above, get better tires. I got the tune and new tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+) around the same time, it's been great. Stock tires sucked badly with the stock firmware, I cannot imagine how bad they would be with a tune.

I also want to mention that it's pretty lame Uni charges more for their 1+ and stage 2 ECU/TCU tunes. Stage 1 is $650 but 1+ is $700? TCU Stage 1 is $600 and Stage 2 is $700?! Why? I suppose they could claim the extra R&D isn't free... but I don't see other tuners operating like this. So if I wanted to flash stage 1+ with aDSG Stage 2 TCU tune it would be $1550 with their little usb > OBD2 connector.

Last edited:

Nyboy07

Gray Fox
Car(s)
UG MKV
I ran stage 2 TCU and stage 1+ tcu for about two weeks while i was waiting to get my dp installed. Worked perfectly and had no issues.

G0LFR

Anyone out there running the Unitronic Stage 2 TCU tune with a Stage 1 or Stage 1+ ECU tune? I would appreciate any feedback...
Thanks

I am running Uni st1+ ecu/st2 tcu on my 2018. Basically, it is great in race mode only, tons of power and seamless tranny feel. For normal and comfort modes my car feels near lethargic and worse than stock software.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I am running Uni st1+ ecu/st2 tcu on my 2018. Basically, it is great in race mode only, tons of power and seamless tranny feel. For normal and comfort modes my car feels near lethargic and worse than stock software.

I don't understand why.

Frognutz

Car(s)
MK 7 GTI 2.0
Appreciate the feedback, I just installed the Stage 2 TCU, works great...thanks.
So you have stage 1+ ECU and stage 2 TCU, if so how has it been? I would greatly appreciate any feedback. I'm looking to do stage 2 tcu now bc i plan on going to stage 2 ecu in about 6 months. Figured i could save the money and just get one tune.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
No reason you can't, I run their stage 2 TCU tune on my 1.8 IS38 wagon and had run the previous stage 1/stage 2 IS20 on their stage 1 version. You get a few better options and they charge you for it is really all it is. Not sure if there is actually more clamping force, would have to log everything but there is no reason this will cause an issue. Every tuner does it differently, some charge like an ala-carte menu for features, I see no issue with it, just have factor it in to your tuning cost budget.

tigeo

Autocross Champion