GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 7.5R HO - Power Loss

Mark7GTi-sport

Ready to race!
Sorry to wake this thread up. My car is a 2017 GTI with PP and DSG. This issue happened to me twice. First time it happened, it was 3 or 4 months ago. With the APR DSG tune. And the last one happened just tonight with COBB DSG tune. The car was warm, been driving for hours, stop and go traffic. Transmission temp was at 180-187*. Was passing on the left lane and then a sudden jolt and no response on the gas pedal. Car was engine, engine was on. Just a total loss of throttle response. I heard from a VW mechanic that DSG's have a TSB on the transmission getting codes of stuck on reverse (P072B/52A7), starter release from the selector lever sensor system (P1734/2A0B), valve 3 in separate transmission 1 electrical malfunction (P174A/29EB) and other stuff that I can't remember. He told me that to bring it in for that issue. I'll keep you guys posted if and when they can replace something on the shifter itself.

No EPC or CEL. But if you look through diagnostic faults, those codes appear. I deleted them once before but it comes up while driving.

ASRman

No this is a very different issue to what you've described. There is no jolt and the power loss is subtle, it just simply feels like the car goes flat after gear change and doesn't pull as strong. There are also no fault codes when scanned with VCDS.

Inigo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R
No this is a very different issue to what you've described. There is no jolt and the power loss is subtle, it just simply feels like the car goes flat after gear change and doesn't pull as strong. There are also no fault codes when scanned with VCDS.

It is your TCU commanding boost cut. I had the exact same issue and when I flashed a TVS tune, issue is gone.

BrentR90

Car(s)
2017 golf r
Any update on this? This exact thing happend to me today. 2017 dsg Golf R with APR stage 1 ECU and TCU tune. This is the only thread I found with the exact issue. Did the new PCV and/or downpipe fix the issue?

Only happens in "manual" mode, only when in third gear and at 5k rpm. It is very consistent. Weird.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Any update on this? This exact thing happend to me today. 2017 dsg Golf R with APR stage 1 ECU and TCU tune. This is the only thread I found with the exact issue. Did the new PCV and/or downpipe fix the issue?

Only happens in "manual" mode, only when in third gear and at 5k rpm. It is very consistent. Weird.
Welcome to the forum. That is weird. Are you tuned? How hot was it? In Drive or Sport mode it doesn't do it?

BrentR90

Car(s)
2017 golf r
Welcome to the forum. That is weird. Are you tuned? How hot was it? In Drive or Sport mode it doesn't do it?
Thank you!

Yes I am tuned. APR stage 1 ECU and TCU tune. Only happens at WOT, in third gear at 5k RPM in "manual" mode. I tested the car twice today. Both times oil temp was around 212 degrees farenheit. Outside temp was 86 degrees during the day and 76 degrees at night. I tested it numerous times during both the day and night session and it is super consistent- happens at the above parameters every time.

Oddly, in standard drive or sport mode, it doesn't lose power at WOT, only in "manual" mode it does this. The only thing I can think of is that the car is limiting itself. Maybe torque limiter? I'm not a car expert so I could be completely off.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thank you!

Yes I am tuned. APR stage 1 ECU and TCU tune. Only happens at WOT, in third gear at 5k RPM in "manual" mode. I tested the car twice today. Both times oil temp was around 212 degrees farenheit. Outside temp was 86 degrees during the day and 76 degrees at night. I tested it numerous times during both the day and night session and it is super consistent- happens at the above parameters every time.

Oddly, in standard drive or sport mode, it doesn't lose power at WOT, only in "manual" mode it does this. The only thing I can think of is that the car is limiting itself. Maybe torque limiter? I'm not a car expert so I could be completely off.
I don't know then. There's no logical reason why it wouldn't happen regardless of what mode the trans is in. Must be a peculiarity of the DSG tune.

BrentR90

Car(s)
2017 golf r
I don't know then. There's no logical reason why it wouldn't happen regardless of what mode the trans is in. Must be a peculiarity of the DSG tune.
Thank you for the quick input. I would agree and hopefully it will not cause damage to the car over time. I guess I will avoid manual mode just in case. Thanks again.