GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spring & Shock/Damper Installation Reference Guide

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Odds are vag changed manufacturers and that's about it. I'm using some oem aftermarket bearings on my R currently and they work just fine. No idea what revision they are, nor do I care.

CarolinaPanthers

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI 6mt
Great thread with amazing info to digest I slowly but surely get prepped to do my suspension.

Silly question - when tightening the rear shock bolt to the shock mount, is there a preferred torque spec/method for tightening? For the fronts, we obviously want to use a pass through socket or wrench for the top nut to torque the nut down. I can't seem to find similar info for the rears, and have only seen videos of people hitting it with an impact gun.

UA TDI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Quick question, I’m in the middle of my suspension install and was wondering if there’s a good way to tell if the inner cv joint/axle disengaged from the transmission (as in post 185) before driving and ruining everything. I have both front struts off the car and the passenger hub rests noticeably lower than the drivers side. Wondering if this is because the inner cv joint is further inboard on the passenger side, meaning the shaft is longer and thus will droop further, or if I inadvertently disengaged it while doing the 2x4 method. On both sides, spinning the brake rotor also spins the bolts at the inner cv joint, if that makes sense.

Any input is much appreciated!

Last edited:

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Quick question, I’m in the middle of my suspension install and was wondering if there’s a good way to tell if the inner cv joint/axle disengaged from the transmission (as in post 185) before driving and ruining everything. ...On both sides, spinning the brake rotor also spins the bolts at the inner cv joint, if that makes sense.

If it’s spinning when you turn the rotor it’s engaged. If you are still concerned, also check the inner boots and make sure you don’t see any grease oozing out from them.

UA TDI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
If it’s spinning when you turn the rotor it’s engaged. If you are still concerned, also check the inner boots and make sure you don’t see any grease oozing out from them.

Awesome, I thought that might be the case but just wanted to be sure. Thanks again and thank you for this incredibly helpful guide thread.

For the record, I’m going with Bilstein B8s paired with H&R OE sports. Hoping for an OEM+ feel with this setup, can’t wait to see how it drives. Now if only the compressors im borrowing weren’t giving me trouble compressing down the OE sports enough to fit the B8s. At this point I might just see if a local shop will assemble them for me so I can move on with the rest of the install.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Quick question, I’m in the middle of my suspension install and was wondering if there
’s a good way to tell if the inner cv joint/axle disengaged from the transmission (as in post 185) before driving and ruining everything. I have both front struts off the car and the passenger hub rests noticeably lower than the drivers side. Wondering if this is because the inner cv joint is further inboard on the passenger side, meaning the shaft is longer and thus will droop further, or if I inadvertently disengaged it while doing the 2x4 method. On both sides, spinning the brake rotor also spins the bolts at the inner cv joint, if that makes sense.

You should be good with how you described. But if you're unsure, put the trans in gear if manual (should be in park with DSG already). While you raise the lower control arm, turn the axle (via brake rotor) back and forth slightly until you feel it "lock" in place. It is a definitive feel. Disengaged CV joint just lets the axle spin with no resistance. If you are already back together and have no noise, especially while turning sharply lock to lock, you should be good to go.

UA TDI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
You should be good with how you described. But if you're unsure, put the trans in gear if manual (should be in park with DSG already). While you raise the lower control arm, turn the axle (via brake rotor) back and forth slightly until you feel it "lock" in place. It is a definitive feel. Disengaged CV joint just lets the axle spin with no resistance. If you are already back together and have no noise, especially while turning sharply lock to lock, you should be good to go.

Great, I’m manual and turning the rotor gives plenty of resistance. Everything seems to be engaged properly, thanks so much for the troubleshooting tips.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Awesome, I thought that might be the case but just wanted to be sure. Thanks again and thank you for this incredibly helpful guide thread.

For the record, I’m going with Bilstein B8s paired with H&R OE sports. Hoping for an OEM+ feel with this setup, can’t wait to see how it drives. Now if only the compressors im borrowing weren’t giving me trouble compressing down the OE sports enough to fit the B8s. At this point I might just see if a local shop will assemble them for me so I can move on with the rest of the install.
Same setup I have, and I love it. Very good combo.

IMG_20200511_085754.jpg

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf

You CAN make the OE sports fit onto B8’s with manual spring compressors. It is a pain but doable. Don’t give up now, you are almost there!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So I've read all 17 pages of this thread. Watched plenty of install videos. Ordered some new springs, a bunch of bolts, and have a big can of WD-40. Hopefully should have everything in this week. Feel pretty confident on being able to tackle it.

Due to the current environment, I plan on doing this myself without a helper. Will be using the 2x4 method. Should I expect any challenges without having a spare set of hands available? My wife has two left hands, and I don't think my 6 year old daughter will be very useful.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
So I've read all 17 pages of this thread. Watched plenty of install videos. Ordered some new springs, a bunch of bolts, and have a big can of WD-40. Hopefully should have everything in this week. Feel pretty confident on being able to tackle it.

Due to the current environment, I plan on doing this myself without a helper. Will be using the 2x4 method. Should I expect any challenges without having a spare set of hands available? My wife has two left hands, and I don't think my 6 year old daughter will be very useful.
Someone asked that same question a few weeks ago and I said "absolutely it's a one-person job", and he ended up cursing me to hell lol. He didn't do the 2x4 method though and removed the axles.

I've done the job 3 times by myself and had no issues, would still say it's a one-person job as long as you have the right tools and some time.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
You can do it by yourself. I have plenty of times. Also great that you have prepped, just be prepared for it to take additional time. Don’t tell your wife you will be done in 4 hours. It’s both art and science, but absolutely doable.