GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spoiler Installation

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hey, Will be getting the oettinger spoiler for my car but from what I know, It is held on just by double sided tape.

Is this tape enough? Im worried that in high speeds the spoiler will just fly off.

And what about the car staying outside when its raining?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Clean area that tape will go with denatured alcohol.
Make sure a warm day. Over 70 is best. 60F and in the sun OK.
Have tape on part warm. Room temp or more.
Measure and align 4 times. Use blue tape to mark edges when in correct spot
Many hands to help hold down for 5-10min.
Should hold well. Time and water might cause it to come loose on edges. 2-3 years.
Normally happens slowly so just check when you wash the car.
At some point you might have to remove and apply new tape. 3-5 years.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
If you're worried about it, get something to properly adhere like betalink or something.
Yea but that looks like it will take the paint off if i want to take the spoiler off one day.

Is 3M double sided tape high quality enough or is there a better one?.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Clean area that tape will go with denatured alcohol.
Make sure a warm day. Over 70 is best. 60F and in the sun OK.
Have tape on part warm. Room temp or more.
Measure and align 4 times. Use blue tape to mark edges when in correct spot
Many hands to help hold down for 5-10min.
Should hold well. Time and water might cause it to come loose on edges. 2-3 years.
Normally happens slowly so just check when you wash the car.
At some point you might have to remove and apply new tape. 3-5 years.
Wow thanks for the info, will use that when installing it.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Tape sounds like a terrible idea. The instructions tell you to use body adhesive. I wouldn't trust the tape on something with that size and weight.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Yea but that looks like it will take the paint off if i want to take the spoiler off one day.

Is 3M double sided tape high quality enough or is there a better one?.

3M tape can be removed. Takes some time, fishing line or dental floss.
Some adhesive remover also. 3M Automotive tape is very good. Many car items held on with tape, GTI hatch side fins use tape. Just make sure you automotive grade as 3M makes many.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
3M VHB double side tape is as strong as they come. That stuff will not come off. Especially if it sits in the sun awhile. Do some research and you will see it’s used in many higher load applications.

Another thing to consider is with tape has thickness so there will be a little bit of gap between the spoiler and body. But that same thickness also help fill any gaps between the two surfaces. With glue, you will have less gap. But if you use too little glue, you will get a weak bond as you won’t have enough glue to fill the gap between the two surfaces leaving behind air pockets and might even be weaker than tape. If you use too much glue, it will run out the side. If you don’t clean it well. It will look bad. I personally would go with tape.

But like Sandman says use blue tape for alignment and test fit multiple times! Oh and take your time and don’t rush it. So many times I should have listened to my own advice. Lol.

Last edited: