GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Splash Guards/Mud Flaps

Leo ATX

Car(s)
'21 Mk7.5 GTI
I am thinking of installing OEM splash guards on my new GTI. The installation is quite a long process that involves removing the wheel and drilling into wheel liners. I am also worried about the car looking bad with splash guards.

I live in central Texas and might move to Bay Area in the future. There are occasional rain and some occasional road debris.

To those who don't use splash guards — will road debris scratch the paint? Those with OEM splash guards or other splash guards, do they work well and look good?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
My car came with Rockblokz splash guards from the previous owner. While I’m not a fan of them, I am a fan of minimizing debris and snow/slush junk flinging the side of my car. I’ve looked at the OEM ones, and like them better, but haven’t committed to switching.

Overall I think they detract from the lines of a car, but it’s a trade off that I just deal with, because road debris will chip or scratch the car.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I run the OEM splash guards. They fit the wheel arch contour well and I think that they look the best of all that I have seen. I know that they protect the body from rocks and other debris thrown up by the tires. Are they perfect, probably not, but they work very well and are not that hard to install.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
OEM mudlfaps here, I've always loved the way they look. They fit like an extension of the existing body lines (especially the rear).

IMG_20200530_203546.jpg
IMG_20200718_161234.jpg

mturner1578

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI 4Dr
Agree with OLDVWfan and bfury5 - OEM mudflaps are so fat. They really fill out particularly the rear very well. Unfortunately don't have mine yet.. but they're on the way. (y)

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Me: “mudflaps are geh”

Also me: “Fuck where did all these scratches (from my spaced rear wheels) come from?”

884E075D-16AB-4FEF-8D40-C11CE09D8D02.jpeg

After I buff this nonsense out rear OEMs are my next purchase

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Yeah I only planned on the rears. That’s where I’m getting damage from, and to keep the rice at bay 😹

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Any recommendations on where to buy the OEM set, besides ECS?

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Dealership, and google "vw splash guards", and several places should come up.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
I am thinking of installing OEM splash guards on my new GTI. The installation is quite a long process that involves removing the wheel and drilling into wheel liners. I am also worried about the car looking bad with splash guards.

I live in central Texas and might move to Bay Area in the future. There are occasional rain and some occasional road debris.

To those who don't use splash guards — will road debris scratch the paint? Those with OEM splash guards or other splash guards, do they work well and look good?
On OEM splash guards, dirt and grit will get behind the splash guards and will eventually scratch the paint.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Any recommendations on where to buy the OEM set, besides ECS?

Dealership, and google "vw splash guards", and several places should come up.

Wherever you get them from, make sure they're OEM legit. The cheap $25 knock offs from eBay and the like fit like shit.