GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Splash Guards/Mud Flaps

Sportbikemike

Go Kart Newbie
RockBlokz are great. Got shit roads and salt in Jersey and these things take a beating. Definitely worth it. Use 3 screws and mount in the existing holes

Attachments

• 20200419_153514.jpg
    20200419_153514.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 204

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
It's been a habit of mine for years to add the OEM splash guards to protect the paint. Driving in winter in the snow taught me that. I don't mind the look, barely notice them after a bit.

Attachments

• 20200613_125610.jpg
    20200613_125610.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 237

mturner1578

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI 4Dr
It's been a habit of mine for years to add the OEM splash guards to protect the paint. Driving in winter in the snow taught me that. I don't mind the look, barely notice them after a bit.
Do you or does anybody know if there is any type of compound that's safe on paint that I can put to fill in the slight gaps in the edging around the back? I know it's different for everybody.. but i'm finding that almost everyone has some sort of gapping with the OEM mud flaps and was wondering if there is a way to fill that with some sort of black compound to make it look cleaner and also to make it not get misc. debris inside..

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
I've never done that, or heard of anyone else doing it, so don't know of anything of the top of my head. I'm careful to keep pressure on them towards the car when tighten screws to minimize any gaps. I don't notice any gaps on mine, but everyone's different. If you're worried about debris, I would just remove them before every detail, and reinstall after. That should be enough to prevent any damage to the paint.

mturner1578

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI 4Dr
IMG-3228.jpg
IMG-3227.jpg
IMG-3226.jpg
IMG-3225.jpg
IMG-3224.jpg

Sorry for how dirty it is.. literally just rained on the way home. lol And also the wrong ordering of images. Images 1,4 and 5 are of the back... 2 and 3 are of the front.

So as you can see for my case...
For the front flaps.. there is a relatively large gap on the top.. I have no idea why other than the peice is slightly warped. The screw is not crossed... it's as far in as it can go on the top and bottom screw (used impact driver until it "impacted" about 3-4 quarter turns. There is also a rather large gap on the bottom of the fronts between the flaps and the bottom side/door trim.

For the rear flaps... it fits perfectly at the top.. I pushed it in as snug as I could prior/during screwing it in... also pushed as snug as possible prior/during installing the bottom... there is a slight gap towards the bottom between mudflap and paint (see above)

Wanting to see if I can fill this (as I have re-fitted and snugged and am positive this is as snug as they will get as they are. At this point, I'm thinking I can either slightly heat them up in hopes of warping the pieces I need to adjust.. or filling the gaps with something. I do like the way they look... so ideally I would like to keep them on. They're on right now anyway because I don't think it's too terribly noticeable..

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
I see what you're saying with picture #2. I don't think I have that gap with mine, but I'll have to double check. It could be some warping of the original shape do to how they were packed during shipping. Sounds like you have a good idea with applying heat to that area and then applying pressure during fastening to try to eliminate/reduce that gap. Use gloves! I'm not sure I'd worry too much about the slight gap on the back side of the guards against the body that much, as that's not where most of the dirt/debris would be. Splash guards aren't going to be water tight, so if you're worried about the paint, I go back to removing them once or twice a year for detailing?

CKIVSEPA

Passed Driver's Ed
I am in PA like you, dealing with salt and other crap on the roads. PLUS, my white GTI regularly shows spray all over both sides just from driving. I'd love to buy these instead of OEM, but are they a nice tight fit? Not worth it if I am replacing them in 6 months. How was installation?

CKIVSEPA

Passed Driver's Ed
Considering them, but also these two sets.
They seem to be pretty well made OEM knock-offs.
When I first got my car, I read a post from someone who said that he had the OEM ones on for a while, and when he took them off there was rust developing behind them. really hoping that was an unusual occurence!

First

A little cheaper

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
When I first got my car, I read a post from someone who said that he had the OEM ones on for a while, and when he took them off there was rust developing behind them. really hoping that was an unusual occurence!

Guess that's one advantage to the rally block style guard.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Anyone have a sense of how hard the OEMs are to install yourself? I assumed they just screwed in but I read a few places that suggested the wheels had to come off and possibly drill your own holes. Easy to DIY or recommend heading to a dealer?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Anyone have a sense of how hard the OEMs are to install yourself? I assumed they just screwed in but I read a few places that suggested the wheels had to come off and possibly drill your own holes. Easy to DIY or recommend heading to a dealer?

It's definitely easier with the wheels off. If you don't have a jack, you could use the scissor jack in the car and do one wheel at a time. It sounds like more work but it'll be a ton easier in the long run.

CKIVSEPA

Passed Driver's Ed
Guess that's one advantage to the rally block style guard.
Yeah, I thought about that but I think the molded form-fitting look of the OEM style is so much more attractive.
To me, the Rally ones look like something I'd get at K-Mart.