GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Soundproofing

icebun

Ready to race!
Has anyone carried out any soundproofing on their car?

Mine has been fitted with some Dunlops which throw up quite a lot of noise, obviously magnified as everything else is so quiet.

Had some work done on my previous Golf which made a subtle difference so I will probably do this again.

gogolf1

Ready to race!
I had summer 16" Dunlops... now I changed them to narrower, 15" winter tires and it is noticeable quieter in the car - especially on rough roads.

I'm also planing to soundproof rear wheel arches from the interior side. I will put bitumen mat and probably thick felt under those plastic parts between rear bench backrest and the doors.

Also I would like to soundproof front wheel area but I think it would be more complicated. Maybe it would be good idea to add some acoustic foam onto those plastic mudguards?

Jasper3

Passed Driver's Ed
The biggest thing in cars in regards to soundproofing is the quality of the windows. Does anyone know what type of windows we have? Double glaze? Or no? In the Optima scene a lot of people have done a lot of things in regards to sound deadening, but it always comes back to the windows.

gogolf1

Ready to race!
Our windshield is marked as an "Acoustic" ("A" letter in the corner) and it is noticeable quieter than in the sister Skoda Octavia III, which is equipped in standard windscreen (without "A"). The most noticeable difference is in regards to wind noise.

But overall it could be better, there is still quite a lot of traffic noise in our Golfs. What I noticed is that, the side windows are extremely thin - about 30-40% thinner than in my previous car. Also the front windscreen is about 2 times!!! thinner... Weight savings, I suppose... :(