GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Soundaktor firmware updates are now possible :-)

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
The good thing about the soundaktor/soundbooster is that you have an option to turn it on and off on demand.
I currently have the external soundbooster sitting in my trunk (because I couldn't mount it under my car yet), and I only have it on for testing purposes, otherwise the extremely loud exhaust is playing inside the car :ROFLMAO:

That sounds like this:

Wife approval rating is pretty low. 😅
However, my 4 year old son now thinks my car turns into a racecar at the press of a button.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Is there anything in the files to indicate whether they are, for example, suitable for a diesel? Maybe within the ODX if opened in Notepad++ or 010 editor?

For example GTI/GTD has Download 1, 2, 3. Is there a way, besides flashing and driving, to determine the difference. I only ask because ODIS is soooooo sloooowww :ROFLMAO:, even though the actual flashing for this module is quite fast with its small size.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
The good thing about the soundaktor/soundbooster is that you have an option to turn it on and off on demand.
I currently have the external soundbooster sitting in my trunk (because I couldn't mount it under my car yet), and I only have it on for testing purposes, otherwise the extremely loud exhaust is playing inside the car :ROFLMAO:

That sounds like this:

Wife approval rating is pretty low. 😅
However, my 4 year old son now thinks my car turns into a racecar at the press of a button.
Guess I don’t need a new cat back exhaust anymore 😂 Is all that sound coming from the soundbooster? Good god..

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Cue Batmobile sounds.....

..or a 2 stroke moped??.... :unsure: .....:ROFLMAO:

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Is there anything in the files to indicate whether they are, for example, suitable for a diesel? Maybe within the ODX if opened in Notepad++ or 010 editor?
I'm currently making a more detailed listing of all the firmwares I am testing, and what engine it was originally used with. I'll put it online some time tomorrow.

Guess I don’t need a new cat back exhaust anymore 😂 Is all that sound coming from the soundbooster? Good god..
Yes, and this is at 50% volume 😅

Cue Batmobile sounds.....

..or a 2 stroke moped??.... :unsure: .....:ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: great ideas. Personally, I would go for anti-lagging rally exhaust sounds :LOL: the most badass/annoying family car on the block

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: great ideas. Personally, I would go for anti-lagging rally exhaust sounds :LOL: the most badass/annoying family car on the block

Playing the scooby boys at their own game eh??... :ROFLMAO:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
That's totally the goal 😅

I updated the tables with more detail. Github makes it a bit ugly because you have to scroll.. but I guess most is clear now.
As I continute bothering you... what do the numbers in the tables mean for each driving profile?

I assume "x" means no sound. And the other numbers are relative volume, between 1 and 8?

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
As I continute bothering you... what do the numbers in the tables mean for each driving profile?

I assume "x" means no sound. And the other numbers are relative volume, between 1 and 8?
Not bothering at all :)
I put a little "how to read the table" at the bottom of the page ;)
But...... let's go a bit more into detail, with some screenshots from official VW documation:

1646927032906.png

Inside the firmware, there's this table. It has the engine (in this case 19), a VIN mask (in this case WVW?????2Z??????) followed by the default sound profile(7), sound profile to use in reverse (255, which means: not configured, stay in the setting that it was already in), and then the 7, 7, 7, 255, 9, 255, 8 are the numbers for the different sound profiles in the various driving modes you can select. These numbers refer to other tables in the firmware which determine the gain, pitch shift, phase, delay levels, and also what samples to use, and what RPM and Speed curves they use. Let's take, for example, profile 2. In the given example, it's what's used in GTE mode on the VW Golf GTE (my previous car).

In this specific firmware, sound profile 2 is very sporty, although not very loud. There's a table in the firmware that determines the Gain level. As you can see profile 2, the 2nd column, has data:

1646927553340.png

And there are a lot of other tables like this, even one containing the sound sample to use:
1646928331397.png

Our car uses samples 2, 3 and 1. And these samples have their own RPM/gain curves:
1646928512513.png

And speed/gain curves:
1646928541776.png

So in short: the number there determines which profile, and then there's a whole bunch of specific settings and curves that determine what it sounds like.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Ahhhh... I see it now, was on my phone... github is tough there, haha.

So in the example, Car 1, starting at the first 7...
1646931363041.png

7 = Default Sound Profile
255 = Reverse (maintain previous)

7 = Default Sound Profile - Comfort Mode
7 = Default Sound Profile - Normal Mode
7 = Default Sound Profile - Sport Mode
255 = Not Configured - Offroad (most cars don't have this mode/FEC anyway)
9 = Different Sound Profile - Eco Mode (not necessarily louder, but a different table)
255 = Not Configured - Race/Cupra Mode
8 = Different Sound Profile - GTE Mode (GTE only of course, but another different table)

So now for a practical use... my TDI has the following drive modes: Eco, Comfort, Normal, Sport, Individual
If I used the firmware for Car 1 above...
Eco = Sound from Table 9
Comfort, Normal, Sport = Sound from Table 7 (all would sound the same)
Individual = Using a custom FPA dataset, I could configure for options (Off, Eco, Comfort, Normal, Sport) but Comfort, Normal, Sport will sound the same.

More interesting would be to try a firmware that uses different tables, like the Audi TT-R firmware 2. Where Comfort and Eco use the same (Table 4), Normal is different (Table 3), and Sport uses yet another (Table 5, which is the loudest from your testing).

My diesel of course is max 6500 RPM but it doesn't matter if the firmware max is 8150, correct? I would just have the sound from the curve up to 6500. Not that I would ever touch 6500 with my old people driving style 😂.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Ahhhh... I see it now, was on my phone... github is tough there, haha.

So in the example, Car 1, starting at the first 7...
View attachment 241896
7 = Default Sound Profile
255 = Reverse (maintain previous)

7 = Default Sound Profile - Comfort Mode
7 = Default Sound Profile - Normal Mode
7 = Default Sound Profile - Sport Mode
255 = Not Configured - Offroad (most cars don't have this mode/FEC anyway)
9 = Different Sound Profile - Eco Mode (not necessarily louder, but a different table)
255 = Not Configured - Race/Cupra Mode
8 = Different Sound Profile - GTE Mode (GTE only of course, but another different table)

Exactly! :)

So now for a practical use... my TDI has the following drive modes: Eco, Comfort, Normal, Sport, Individual
If I used the firmware for Car 1 above...
Eco = Sound from Table 9
Comfort, Normal, Sport = Sound from Table 7 (all would sound the same)
Individual = Using a custom FPA dataset, I could configure for options (Off, Eco, Comfort, Normal, Sport) but Comfort, Normal, Sport will sound the same.

More interesting would be to try a firmware that uses different tables, like the Audi TT-R firmware 2. Where Comfort and Eco use the same (Table 4), Normal is different (Table 3), and Sport uses yet another (Table 5, which is the loudest from your testing).

Yes, try the TTRS one, I love it!

My diesel of course is max 6500 RPM but it doesn't matter if the firmware max is 8150, correct? I would just have the sound from the curve up to 6500. Not that I would ever touch 6500 with my old people driving style 😂.
On a diesel, it would be less loud, I guess, because you never reach the full RPM range. But... that's something that can be fixed! :) I'm working on a user interface to be able to tweak all the settings in a slightly friendlier way than just hacking away at data haha

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
So in thinking about this and considering that you're working on an editor to make custom tables possible...

Can profiles that a vehicle doesn't have be made selectable on the individual screen? For example, my car doesn't have the race FEC. But if I loaded sound actor firmware that reference the table for race and then built a custom FPA data set that let me choose race in individual... Can I do something cool like have the Jetson sound only if I choose race for internal engine sound in individual mode?

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
So VW could've made it sound like an RS3 or VR6 and instead they went with DUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUD?

And with it being only done through ODIS and VCP that means either pay $200 for it or find a shop willing to do it for you?