GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sound / Nav functions disable while driving

skadee

Passed Driver's Ed
On my Mk7 with Discover Pro, there's:
16 lines for "FB_Tuner" which I assume is for radio.
24 lines for "FB_Media" - CD and mp3 thru SD or USB?
16 lines for "FB_Phone" - Phone
39 lines for "FB_NAV" - Navigation
23 lines for "FB_Car" - Car
48 lines for "FB_Misc"

Basically one set for each of the buttons to the sides of the screen and likely one line for each function within. Literally takes only 2 seconds to do each line though. Adding in setup time, you are still looking at well under 10 minutes to do them all. Not exactly difficult work for $20 - unless they're charging $20 per line, which would be ridiculous. I would have happily done it for you for free if you were close by.

I'd say invest $60-$80 for an OBDeleven as there's so much more you can do with it. Or if this is literally all you will ever do and you have no plans to ever check any error codes yourself, then do as Jim above suggested with Carista.
Well, I've been to the Great White North, and miss it, but it's been a while! I'm a midwesterner now.

The shop's willing to do it for free, I got an APR Stage 1 from them, but I'm not sure how long the offer to do the VCDS will hold up.

I picked up an ODB eleven a couple years ago for the sole purpose of enabling that feature, but no matter what I changed, it wouldn't allow me to drive and enter a destination address. I'm figuring it's the same feature set that would allow reading a text message while moving (granted, that likely would be under the FB_phone fields)

I personally feel it's more of a safety issue if I'm forced to use my tiny little phone screen for text messages and navigation while driving, than to use the big infotainment screen.

skadee

Passed Driver's Ed
The cheapest and easiest way to do it is with Carista.
You can get one weeks usage of Carista for $10. Make all the changes you want to. No coding required.
Carista is new to me, but I checked it out, they don't list enabling nav edits while in motion.

They list "Allow "Phone" settings in MMI while car is in motion" but list it's for VW Jetta only.

If you see something different, I'm down with dropping $10 for the feature.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Carista is new to me, but I checked it out, they don't list enabling nav edits while in motion.

They list "Allow "Phone" settings in MMI while car is in motion" but list it's for VW Jetta only.

If you see something different, I'm down with dropping $10 for the feature.
There's a setting to allow access to the media center when in motion. I don't have Nav so I don't know if it includes that.
You could contact them.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
Well, I've been to the Great White North, and miss it, but it's been a while! I'm a midwesterner now.

The shop's willing to do it for free, I got an APR Stage 1 from them, but I'm not sure how long the offer to do the VCDS will hold up.

I picked up an ODB eleven a couple years ago for the sole purpose of enabling that feature, but no matter what I changed, it wouldn't allow me to drive and enter a destination address. I'm figuring it's the same feature set that would allow reading a text message while moving (granted, that likely would be under the FB_phone fields)

I personally feel it's more of a safety issue if I'm forced to use my tiny little phone screen for text messages and navigation while driving, than to use the big infotainment screen.

Nice! You are always welcome back...whenever the border reopens...

That's cool of the shop to do it for free. Strange that it would not work for you with OBDeleven. Did you reboot the MIB (by holding power for 20sec) after coding? I went and blocked all my NAV lines last night to test and it didn't take the changes and block me until I did a reboot of the MIB. Same for when I reverted back to "non-blocked".

And if that still doesn't work, you can try a factory reset of the radio after coding - you'd probably lose all your radio stations and sound settings though.