GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sound / Nav functions disable while driving

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Just turn the volume down while the Navigation voice is talking and you can silence it easily. It also remembers the setting for next time you use it.

ImageHound

I have no issue with silencing the navigation voice.... not sure where that came from.

I'm talking about the fact that when the car is moving, access to certain screens like inputting addresses into navigation, or adjusting radio sound options become disabled for safety reasons. Safety is not an issue if I have a passenger in the car with me that is capable of using a touch screen.

It's completely ridiculous to have to stop the car (especially when on a long freeway trip) in order to access certain infotainment screens.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I have no issue with silencing the navigation voice.... not sure where that came from.

I'm talking about the fact that when the car is moving, access to certain screens like inputting addresses into navigation, or adjusting radio sound options become disabled for safety reasons. Safety is not an issue if I have a passenger in the car with me that is capable of using a touch screen.

It's completely ridiculous to have to stop the car (especially when on a long freeway trip) in order to access certain infotainment screens.

Yes, you can unblock those restrictions using VCDS or OBDeleven. I don't have Nav, but I still had most of my settings blocked while driving per factory spec. Go into controller 5F-->adaptations-->Locked Menu Contents and you'll see there are a bunch of items related to tuner, nav, radio, media, etc that have the value "blocked". Change to "non-blocked" (you'll have to do one at a time, it's tedious) and you're good to go. Take a look at the OBD mods link in my signature, you'll see the adaptation changes I had to make to remove all the driving restrictions from my head unit settings.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Oh sorry, we don't have any restrictions like that over here, wont be long until they will do it though by the way some people drive here.

It's another nanny feature that protects idiots from themselves and others. I believe the US head unit driving restrictions were only added in 2017.

I disabled them because there's nothing wrong with the passenger fiddling with the settings while the driver drives!

PSU

1660/5000
Yes, you can unblock those restrictions using VCDS or OBDeleven. I don't have Nav, but I still had most of my settings blocked while driving per factory spec. Go into controller 5F-->adaptations-->Locked Menu Contents and you'll see there are a bunch of items related to tuner, nav, radio, media, etc that have the value "blocked". Change to "non-blocked" (you'll have to do one at a time, it's tedious) and you're good to go. Take a look at the OBD mods link in my signature, you'll see the adaptation changes I had to make to remove all the driving restrictions from my head unit settings.

I've done all these and it unlocked a lot but I still can't enter addresses into the navigation if the car is in gear.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've done all these and it unlocked a lot but I still can't enter addresses into the navigation if the car is in gear.

Apparently none of the coding options want the legal responsibility if you were to wreck while inputting an address.

skadee

Passed Driver's Ed
Are the exact adaptation code lines available?

I have a shop willing to do it for me, but there looked to be like 20 different lines they'd have to change to "unblock".

While I don't know how much time that'll take, but if there's one or two lines that they need to edit, that's a lot better than 20.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I have a shop willing to do it for me, but there looked to be like 20 different lines they'd have to change to "unblock".

While I don't know how much time that'll take, but if there's one or two lines that they need to edit, that's a lot better than 20.
The cheapest and easiest way to do it is with Carista.
You can get one weeks usage of Carista for $10. Make all the changes you want to. No coding required.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie

On my Mk7 with Discover Pro, there's:
16 lines for "FB_Tuner" which I assume is for radio.
24 lines for "FB_Media" - CD and mp3 thru SD or USB?
16 lines for "FB_Phone" - Phone
39 lines for "FB_NAV" - Navigation
23 lines for "FB_Car" - Car
48 lines for "FB_Misc"

Basically one set for each of the buttons to the sides of the screen and likely one line for each function within. Literally takes only 2 seconds to do each line though. Adding in setup time, you are still looking at well under 10 minutes to do them all. Not exactly difficult work for $20 - unless they're charging $20 per line, which would be ridiculous. I would have happily done it for you for free if you were close by.

I'd say invest $60-$80 for an OBDeleven as there's so much more you can do with it. Or if this is literally all you will ever do and you have no plans to ever check any error codes yourself, then do as Jim above suggested with Carista.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
On my Mk7 with Discover Pro, there's:
16 lines for "FB_Tuner" which I assume is for radio.
24 lines for "FB_Media" - CD and mp3 thru SD or USB?
16 lines for "FB_Phone" - Phone
39 lines for "FB_NAV" - Navigation
23 lines for "FB_Car" - Car
48 lines for "FB_Misc"

Basically one set for each of the buttons to the sides of the screen and likely one line for each function within. Literally takes only 2 seconds to do each line though. Adding in setup time, you are still looking at well under 10 minutes to do them all. Not exactly difficult work for $20 - unless they're charging $20 per line, which would be ridiculous. I would have happily done it for you for free if you were close by.

I'd say invest $60-$80 for an OBDeleven as there's so much more you can do with it. Or if this is literally all you will ever do and you have no plans to ever check any error codes yourself, then do as Jim above suggested with Carista.

On my 2017 I had 42 lines of code to change:

5 "car"
11 "media"
16 "misc"
5 "phone"
5 "tuner"

They're all in my signature.