GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sound Deadening Idea--Is it bonkers?

So, I'm looking to combat a bit of drone from my exhaust.

I was thinking of adding dynamat, but then I had the possibly bright idea to make installation a lot easier. Thinking of applying either dynamat or hushmat directly to the underside of my weathertech hatch mat.

Anyone see any problems other than sheer genius levels being off the hook?

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Dynamat is a "sound deadener" which is to say that it eliminates the source of some sounds, namely those that are created by resonance of the unibody's panels. It is not a "sound insulation", which does not eliminate the noise but insulates you from hearing it. By applying dynamat anywhere other than to a panel that is subject to resonance from the car being in motion, it won't be doing anything.

Besides, our cars are already sound-deadened pretty well. VW did a good job applying deadener in strategic places to minimize panel resonance.

Instead, I would focus on sound insulation. You can find 6mm thick foam insulation sheets and apply them to the inside of the trunk floor. I did that to the trunk of my GSW. Fiber-based insulation also works really well.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
^ what he said.

It’s about resonance, the car is well insulated as it is.

I did the trunk area and the wheel wells with Noico 80mil, like Dynamat but half the price.

This past weekend I did my front doors as well.

Can’t recommend this enough, huge diff for $75 and a few hours of my time.

Cut out the resonance/drone vibrations of my CSS muffler.

On a side note buy the roller and get a clip removal tool from Amazon.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
any idea how much all that weighed, XM?

It’s 0.7 lbs per sq ft.

I used a little less than 18sq ft in the trunk, so ~10lbs..

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
^ what he said.

It’s about resonance, the car is well insulated as it is.

I did the trunk area and the wheel wells with Noico 80mil, like Dynamat but half the price.

This past weekend I did my front doors as well.

Can’t recommend this enough, huge diff for $75 and a few hours of my time.

Cut out the resonance/drone vibrations of my CSS muffler.

On a side note buy the roller and get a clip removal tool from Amazon.

I'm tempted to order this from Amazon right now but I'm curious how much it still drones, if at all? Also it looks like you have the OEM dp? Would this still be worth it with a CTS catted dp + catback? I don't think I'd just want to do the hatch area, not the whole car

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I'm tempted to order this from Amazon right now but I'm curious how much it still drones, if at all? Also it looks like you have the OEM dp? Would this still be worth it with a CTS catted dp + catback? I don't think I'd just want to do the hatch area, not the whole car

It was worth it. However if you want to kill sound and not resonance get a foam matt for sound deadening.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
It was worth it. However if you want to kill sound and not resonance get a foam matt for sound deadening.
Ive got the regular plastic trim removal tool kit but i noticed you mention it above and just to double check was there a specific one you used that works best with those rear quarter panels?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i used noico 80 mil like the guy a few posts up for a few areas with noico closed cell foam for the rest. doing the whole trunk/hatch area is 100% essential because when you lift up the carpets there is literally nothing but sheet metal. look at one of the last posts in my build thread linked in my sig for more info and pics

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Ive got the regular plastic trim removal tool kit but i noticed you mention it above and just to double check was there a specific one you used that works best with those rear quarter panels?

Trim removal kit and this... thank me later. ?

Best tool I bought in 2019, hands down.

Fastener / Clip Puller

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I first attacked drone from the exhaust, by swapping my downpipe for a downpipe that had an inline resonator (ultimate racing) and kept the resonator that comes with the GTI. Drone hits a resonance in my brain that makes my head want to explode. After I ressolved drone, I did sound treatment to make car quieter, also using the Noico 80ml. The biggest gain was doing the hatch area.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/making-golf-interior-quieter.353395/

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I did my entire car with Noico, trunk, floors, doors. About 25 lbs or so. Not as noticable as other cars, as VW's are pretty good. But a bit noticable anyway.