GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Solution to Heeltoe Woes

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Just ordered the WCT spacer. I had the heel-toe thing down to second nature back in the '70s. Couldn't get it right with either my '14 Mustang or now the GTI. One thing - many of the newer pedals seem to be of the type that swing down from the top, rather than hinge at the bottom...so instead of the heel-stab that worked for me for so long, I see the need to adapt to an ankle-bending, ball o' the foot/outside of the foot rocking motion.

I can almost do it with the stock pedal arrangement. Might work for me while on a drive somewhere, only to not work so well on the return trip. Feet kinda big. Ankles maybe don't bend so good. Hope this thing works! will report back.
It works. Have fun!

clarence35

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone find that the WCT spacer raises the gas pedal too much? It's good for heel-toe casually braking around town. But when threshold braking, I can feel the gas pedal raised slightly above the brake pedal which is a bit awkward. I would love to buy another spacer a little thinner than the WCT if that exists.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Anyone find that the WCT spacer raises the gas pedal too much?
In my opinion no, the current height is decent and much better than stock. I actually would like it more if it was thicker and raised the gas pedal a little more. FWIW I don't track or anything, just drive it on the street.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
In my opinion no, the current height is decent and much better than stock. I actually would like it more if it was thicker and raised the gas pedal a little more. FWIW I don't track or anything, just drive it on the street.
Agreed, I wouldn't mine a bit higher. Or if someone made a nice pedal cover that was tasteful and wider.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Agreed, I wouldn't mine a bit higher. Or if someone made a nice pedal cover that was tasteful and wider.
Rennline makes one. I have the full set. I probably have pics of it in this thread somewhere. Kind of spend but it's nice. I use nylon washers under the gas pedal cover to make it exactly the height I want. Necesarry because it's position relative to brake pedal height changes depending on brake pad wear.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone find that the WCT spacer raises the gas pedal too much? It's good for heel-toe casually braking around town. But when threshold braking, I can feel the gas pedal raised slightly above the brake pedal which is a bit awkward. I would love to buy another spacer a little thinner than the WCT if that exists.

PMed.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Anyone find that the WCT spacer raises the gas pedal too much?
I agree with this 100%. The spacer was a good training tool to get the heel/toe motion down and figure out foot placement for the stock pedals, but it is way too high for track driving or instances when you are really getting into the brakes. I spent a whole session trying to blip the throttle with my ankle bone because of how high the spacer put the throttle.

clarence35

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree with this 100%. The spacer was a good training tool to get the heel/toe motion down and figure out foot placement for the stock pedals, but it is way too high for track driving or instances when you are really getting into the brakes. I spent a whole session trying to blip the throttle with my ankle bone because of how high the spacer put the throttle.
Yep. If you're braking at the limit and need to modulate the brake pedal with control, you might have a worse time with the WCT spacer because the gas pedal gets in the way and you may need to adjust your foot to avoid it. I took pictures this morning of my MK7 (w/WCT spacer installed) with the brakes fully depressed and you can clearly see the gas pedal floats above full brake pedal depression.

For comparison's sake, I also took a photo of my S2000's pedals where at full depression the brake pedal is basically in-line with (or a hair above) the gas pedal, so you can't see the gas pedal in the photo -- in my opinion, this is a correct pedal setup and the WCT spacer doesn't achieve that.

Edit: I should add, I disabled the Hydraulic Brake Assistant in VCDS because I wanted a more natural/linear brake pedal. It's possible that the WCT spacer feels just right for people who haven't changed any brake settings (i.e., don't need to push the brake pedal as deeply to reach the threshold of grip), but I have no interest in going back to the stock touchy brakes to try it out.

Attachments

• IMG_20210420_092308.jpg
    IMG_20210420_092308.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20210420_092648.jpg
    IMG_20210420_092648.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 152
Last edited:

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Yep. If you're braking at the limit and need to modulate the brake pedal with control, you might have a worse time with the WCT spacer because the gas pedal gets in the way and you may need to adjust your foot to avoid it.
And it gets even worse throughout the day as calipers, pads, fluid, etc. all heat up and your pedal starts going just a touch deeper than normal. I also have the hydraulic brake assistant coded off.

clarence35

Passed Driver's Ed
Circling back on this thread, Brendan (@burgerkong) 3d printed for me a couple of custom spacers at different thicknesses. After about a week of driving, I settled on my thinner spacer at 1.5mm on the thin edge and 3mm on the thick edge (WCT is 1.8mm/5mm). It feels just right for daily driving. For spirted driving w/threshold braking, it's not 100% perfect as I can still just slightly feel the gas pedal on the side of my foot when I brake at the limit. But it doesn't actually register any throttle input until I roll my foot, so I don't have to change the way I drive (unlike the WCT spacer) and I'm happy with it.

If this was a dedicated car for track or canyons, I might go a hair thinner or even without a spacer, but this is my daily and I prefer the balance of making it a little easier to heel-toe around town. Just wanted to share what worked for me!

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP
Does anyone know off the top of their head if the WCT spacer will work with a RHD car? I'm hoping the pedal assemblies are the same.

I can heel/toe fine (size 13, using the ball of my foot for both pedals) but it's not super comfortable, I really have to crank my foot over to get a decent blip.

I think that extra half inch would help a lot (arf). Especially as the throttle isn't exactly very sensitive and needs a good stab.