GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sold: Aluminum front subframe

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
None of our cars came with this subframe so you would be looking for someone who installed one (a small number of people) and who is also parting out that car (a smaller subset of that small number of people). Best bet if you don't want to buy new is eBay, just search Audi A3 Subframe. Every so often they'll even pop up with free shipping. Paid about $350 for mine.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
ebay or car-part.com

gte718h

Go Kart Newbie
Hello all. Thank you for the inputs. Hoping to spend about $300-350. It's more of a want than need so I only want to spend a little more than what I can get back when I eventually take the car apart. Definitely have been scouring the internet and contacting local junk yards for appropriate model year A3/S3/GTI/R. Even tried audizine and audiworld but it was a lot more confusing than this one. I am chasing down some leads so I will try audizine and audiworld again if something doesn't work out shortly. Thanks again.

MrFabulous

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport
You have to weigh the options. Sometimes they are advertised pretty cheap on ebay with outrageous shipping costs. The Arteon has the same subframe if that helps. I upped my budget and got a new one on sale from a dealer with a realistic shipping costs. Mine was described as an Arteon subframe. Keep in mind when buying a new one, installing the transmission mount is a bear.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Found mine through car-part.com and a junkyard west of Atlanta.

Can't say it's a must have. Maybe some added rigidity. Maybe. Weight savings is only 7lbs and the savings is low to the ground so not real helpful for handling.

gte718h

Go Kart Newbie
Hi guys. Thank you for all the feedback. I appreciate your willingness to provide inputs.

I come from JDM naturally aspirated platforms. I currently own a highly "personalized" S2000 that I bought new in 2007 and intend to keep for ever. I have pretty much done all power mods that make sense and spent money on handling and braking mods to my exact specification. The car weights 2650 pounds with me inside and 1/2 tank of gas and is a joy to drive. I was patient in slowly accumulating performance parts and goodies including lighter parts (can be extremely costly), often waiting for sales to get the right part or accumulating parts as they became available used. Generally speaking, every aftermarket part on my car can be sold at 80-150% of price I paid. Having a really long term view allows me to take advantage of arbitrage opportunities to buy low and enjoy until some day when I will get rid of the car.

I went down the typical stage 1 -> stage 2 route with my MK7 GTI and have been sorely disappointed and underwhelmed. I can and I should but I am not going to bitch about some of the engineering choices that VW made and the garbage marketing echo chamber the larger aftermarket support companies have created. I've decided to go the hybrid turbo route and focus on building a car that I would be happy to own for many years and miles. I want to build a car that I like so much that I would refresh/upgrade the engine when the time comes (assuming no catastrophic failure). However, I want to be very patient and smart in how I accumulate the parts that I will surely need to support big turbo and nice to have parts since all will suffer from huge depreciation.

So back to aluminum front subframe. I am absolutely not going to buy this part new. I would like to keep the part cost down around $250-300 because it doesn't do much and I can make the upgrade anytime, independent of other mods. I contacted over 30 salvage auto joints and autohaasparts and another place located in NC seem really promising.

If any of you guys have hybrid turbo set up, I would love to hear your thoughts regarding what supporting mods are proven to work.

Best,

J

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It would be worth checking for part number 3Q0199369E as well. It replaced part number 5Q0199369G per VW/Audi.

I see some 3Q0's available for around/under $300 if you don't need them shipped. On the other hand, I would pay an extra $100 over making 30 phone calls and potentially having to pull the subframe from the donor car myself.