GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I have a small engine cover?

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP
Just noticed that some other people’s cars have this small front engine cover fitted however my car doesn’t have this part fitted?
Do I need one?

found the part number as:06K103925AA
See below my engine bay and the part I’m talking about.

Attachments

• 7B64C74A-246B-47B4-A52C-BA254F622477.jpeg
    7B64C74A-246B-47B4-A52C-BA254F622477.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 3,729
  • 99E05817-2ACC-4F4A-B97E-908E25F14BF5.jpeg
    99E05817-2ACC-4F4A-B97E-908E25F14BF5.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 2,109

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP
We don’t get one over here so no you don’t NEED one. You can get one if you want. Think it needs some extra mounting bits too.
Okay thanks man. As long as I’m not missing something essential then I’m not too bothered as it’s around £50. It hasn’t caused me any issues and I didn’t even notice it until today, but just wanted to check I hadn’t got a part missing

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Okay thanks man. As long as I’m not missing something essential then I’m not too bothered as it’s around £50. It hasn’t caused me any issues and I didn’t even notice it until today, but just wanted to check I hadn’t got a part missing
No, you’re not missing the lower cover. I see you’re based in the UK - UK spec Golfs haven’t had that cover fitted as standard for many years now.

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP
No, you’re not missing the lower cover. I see you’re based in the UK - UK spec Golfs haven’t had that cover fitted as standard for many years now.
Okay thanks for the info dude. How come they have an optional front cover? :unsure:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
For looks, some folks replace the upper cover with one from the Tiguan. Need to buy a few plastic mounting pins for it as well.

06K-103-925-CL x 1 : ~$50 USD

WHT-007-324 x 2 : ~$5 USD

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Okay thanks for the info dude. How come they have an optional front cover? :unsure:
It doesn’t serve any useful purpose (other than to ‘tidy up’ the underbonnet area,, so the car can function perfectly well without it. Presumably that’s why VW stopped fitting it to save a few ££££’s in production costs. I can vaguely remember reading a long time ago on a forum that there’d been some issues with this smaller front cover working loose, so maybe VW stopped fitting it on safety grounds.

Some of VW’s smaller capacity engines don’t have the large plastic engine cover fitted either.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That cover would be nice for when the guy who details my car when he cleans the engine those little compartments get filled up with water.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Get an S3 cover. 1 piece, covers the same area as both and looks much nicer.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I read somewhere they were falling into the fan.

Yes, that was it. (y)

As I mentioned in post #7 above, I could remember reading a while ago that this small cover had become loose in some owners’ cars. Makes sense that VW stopped fitting it if there was a risk of it falling into the fan.

PapaGeorgieo570

Car(s)
2019 VW GTI S DSG
I have one. About 1k on the car already zero problems no rattle at all. Very impressed cleans us engine bay. Picked it up from usp motorsports i think $90 shipped to my house and includes the stud for the motor to mount.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
considering all of the aftermarket/modified vanity bling that you've put in your engine bay already, I'm surprised that you didn't already run across that cover earlier (when doing research for your current bling) and decided that you needed it then, lol.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
For looks, some folks replace the upper cover with one from the Tiguan. Need to buy a few plastic mounting pins for it as well.

06K-103-925-CL x 1 : ~$50 USD

WHT-007-324 x 2 : ~$5 USD
FWIW - I believe the Beetle cover is the same as this Tiguan cover.