GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Seat swap question (Evo X RECARO SR-11)

CPT.Haddock

Passed Driver's Ed
YO! pretty much said in the title, I might have my hands on some Evo X Recaro SR11 maybe this weekend

I'm at the stade of measuring if they would fit in the car (99% sure it will since our VW are larger in the cabin)

forget about rails and fittings, for this, I already know a guy...

BUT !!!

these seats DO HAVE airbags AND DO HAVE heated seats option

my question is, can I simply swap the plugs of my OEM seat and re pin them to the corresponding wire on the Evo seats ? I'm guessing everything will work as it should... as I don't suspect airbags and heated seats system having a different resistance on every car

CPT.Haddock

Passed Driver's Ed
Extremely good chance airbags having different resistance..

how can I be sure of that? I dont want a bomb blow up to my face once I plug them.. OR !!!! if I don't plug them, can I erease the OBVIOUS CODES that will appear ? I have an OBDEleven if this can do it, then I am saved !

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I would test values of donor car..

Honestly I wouldn’t consider cross-brand airbags..
+1...
OBDEleven won't help either, you'll need to experiment with resistors.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
well "cross brand" majority of the airbags are TAKATA ones anyway no ?

Everyone is trying to tell you there’s a chance that these won’t work.

No one knows because no one has tried to install a Mitsubishi seat in a GTI.

You’re a maverick and a trendsetter.

Try it out, document your journey and report back.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Personally, I'd not use the airbags and just use resistors like others have done so you don't get errors.

OEM seat air bags are designed to work on the car they were installed in based on crash testing, and aren't just a catch all for safety. If you were to use them, there's a completely real chance they would be ineffective or worse, more dangerous than not having them at all.

Now the heated seat thing, I would definitely want that to work but the same principle applies to match load/amperage. I'm not sure what the 3 different amperages for the 3 heat settings but you need to make sure they match or are within a similar range for what the EVO amperages are. If VW output is too low, you won't get much heat. If the VW output is too high, your seats could short and start a fire. Not the kind of heated seat you want really.

CPT.Haddock

Passed Driver's Ed
Personally, I'd not use the airbags and just use resistors like others have done so you don't get errors.
resistors? teach me master

If the VW output is too high, your seats could short and start a fire. Not the kind of heated seat you want really.
OH GOD lol well in any case, I never put my seats higher than 2 and sometimes 1... 3 is just a barbecue for your ass... loll

Everyone is trying to tell you there’s a chance that these won’t work.

No one knows because no one has tried to install a Mitsubishi seat in a
TSI***

You’re a maverick and a trendsetter.

Try it out, document your journey and report back.

I will, don't worry :p

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
No master here, I'm going divert that title to navindralr and his build thread:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47754

I really know nothing about that swap except that it's not plug and play and hasn't been done before so there are 1,000 unknowns. Very much a maverick move. What I posted were my 2 main issues if I were in your shoes.

CPT.Haddock

Passed Driver's Ed
good news everyone! the guy that is selling me the seats will take ALL the OEM harnesses from my OEM seats including heated seats pads and put it in the RECARO Seats

the guy done this with a 2017 Camaro SS seat and it seems to work really great !

if I'm lucky, my rails should bolt up to the recaro plate so no adapter needded

this should be done in beggining of March and is supposed to take an entire weekend to do.. hopefully I'll have badass 100% functionning seats for a fraction of the price a GTi interior would cost me

brutalgti

Passed Driver's Ed
good news everyone! the guy that is selling me the seats will take ALL the OEM harnesses from my OEM seats including heated seats pads and put it in the RECARO Seats

the guy done this with a 2017 Camaro SS seat and it seems to work really great !

if I'm lucky, my rails should bolt up to the recaro plate so no adapter needded

this should be done in beggining of March and is supposed to take an entire weekend to do.. hopefully I'll have badass 100% functionning seats for a fraction of the price a GTi interior would cost me
Any update on this? I'm interested in swapping out for aftermarket seats as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jarbear

Ready to race!
OEM seat air bags are designed to work on the car they were installed in based on crash testing, and aren't just a catch all for safety. If you were to use them, there's a completely real chance they would be ineffective or worse, more dangerous than not having them at all.

+1 on this point.

Putting different airbag equipped seats in a car they weren’t originally intended seems like an unsafe venture. Airbags in new cars aren’t like the round things in steering wheels of past. They’re all designed to work together in certain conditions to keep everyone safe. Seat airbags included.

Case and point. A friend hit some black ice in a rx350 and rolled it into a drainage ditch. All of the airbags went off, I believe there were 6 total. He walked away unscathed.