GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rust Protection with Steel Wheels

1fastredsc

Ready to race!
I just got my winter wheel/tire setup delivered yesterday. They're a set of General Altimax tires on 16-inch steel wheels. I got a set of hub caps with the steel wheels as well for some added protection, but I was wondering if there's anything else done to protect the area exposed by the center of the steel wheel (I'm guessing these cars don't have bearing caps, so it's an exposed axle bolt?)? After a quick google search, I see some suggest spraying the axle bolt head with silicone lubricant spray. Any other ideas?

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
I just got my winter wheel/tire setup delivered yesterday. They're a set of General Altimax tires on 16-inch steel wheels. I got a set of hub caps with the steel wheels as well for some added protection, but I was wondering if there's anything else done to protect the area exposed by the center of the steel wheel (I'm guessing these cars don't have bearing caps, so it's an exposed axle bolt?)? After a quick google search, I see some suggest spraying the axle bolt head with silicone lubricant spray. Any other ideas?
For YEARS I would simply paint the area about the front axle nut and the rear cap with a satin black paint.....Another member on this forum turned me on to these....

Attachments

• center_caps.gif
    center_caps.gif
    48.8 KB · Views: 306

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
Thanks for the suggestion lou06483. For plastic caps, those things are pricey aren't they?
I hear ya!
The one's on the VORTEX site were LONG gone....These were the cheapest I could find...On the plus side - they look good on the auto....

1fastredsc

Ready to race!
I saw someone in the parking lot where i work with a focus ST who used a set of hubcaps on his steelies with winter tires, but had spray painted the hub caps black. Didn't look half bad. I may try that instead. Thanks