GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rust like spots on rear....

Demetrius Joel

Ready to race!
I have what's seems to be rust spots on the rear of my white gold. I googled it and people are saying its from the rear brakes and happens to every car but only shows up on white. It supposedly only occurs from frequent highway driving which I do daily. Any ideas on how to get them out?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Are you talking about rust spots on the paint?
You stated white gold, which I assume is Golf.
If you have this, a product called Iron-x will get it out.
Google the name.
A little does not go far, but a small bottle will do a Golf and maybe part of body on a later wash. Watch a video before you use so you see what to do. Wash area or car first before you use. Works well.
You should not have to do often. 1-2 times a year maybe.
I clay bared after, then washed again.

Last edited:

16plus4v1

Ready to race!
I had the same stuff from the roads over the winter. Also white.. Used claybar and it came right off. Will be doing it again in another month or so.

VW YNZR

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you talking about rust spots on the paint?
You stated white gold, which I assume is Golf.
If you have this, a product called Iron-x will get it out.
Google the name.
A little does not go far, but a small bottle will do a Golf and maybe part of body on a later wash. Watch a video before you use so you see what to do. Wash area or car first before you use. Works well.
You should not have to do often. 1-2 times a year maybe.
I clay bared after, then washed again.

Sonax Iron-x. Stuff is awesome but smells awful. As stated above pay attention to the directions and you will be as good as new. Clay bars work too.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Iron -X is better to use for this commmon problem as there is less physical contact with the paint compared with claying.

DAS_STIG

Banned
this comes from brakes? i did not have it on my mk5 and both my mk7 and 5 came in white. getting lots of these little rust spots on back doors/hatch area and even a few on front doors.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Sonax Iron-x. Stuff is awesome but smells awful. As stated above pay attention to the directions and you will be as good as new. Clay bars work too.

Yes - does smell.:eek:
If one just uses clay bar, any risk of scratching as it is iron oxide we are removing? I think Iron-X would be best 1st and it is intersting to use and watch it work. I would think 1 time a year would be good if waxed afterwords.

VW YNZR

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes - does smell.:eek:
If one just uses clay bar, any risk of scratching as it is iron oxide we are removing? I think Iron-X would be best 1st and it is intersting to use and watch it work. I would think 1 time a year would be good if waxed afterwords.

No more risk of scratching than any other contaminants a clay bar removes. As long as it's followed by a proper polish and wax there should be no issues. I used both to good effect on my previous white car. Iron-x for more frequent uses, clay bar when I was doing a full detail.