GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Running Cobb AP (EQT) tune and a different company's OTS DSG file?

nm94

Car(s)
2021 MK 7.5 GTI SE
I couldn't find much on this topic and would like to introduce it for discussion.

Is it possible to run an ECU tune from EQT and a different company's TCU tune that isn't through the COBB AP? I found discussions of people who have ran a different brand's files also through the Cobb AP but my question is doing it from a different company that doesn't use AP like UM or APR. The core of this question is really, does using a Cobb AP limit you from working with APR or other dealer only tuners and vice versa?

I had no idea when further looking into tuning that the biggest limiting factor for me would become the TCU software which is really important for me with the DQ381. When just about settling on an ECU tune (multiple times), I look into the TCU tune and hear/see disappointing results that don't fit my preferences. Without getting too much into specifics, I don't want to pay for a $400 upgrade just to unlock DSG tuning on the Cobb AP. I want the EQT tune but it would be cheaper for me to go a different route for the TCU software and would allow me to choose the best one for me.

Last edited:

itskohler

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 1998 4runn
What goals are you wanting to reach that OTS TCU tunes you've read about not reaching? I have IE currently on my GTI and I like it. They don't do stages, it's 1 tune and done.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
You can certainly do it, but usually things works best/as intended when matching ecu and tcu tunes. Because the ECU defines how much torque is requested at different throttle positions, and the TCU tune adjusts shift points based off throttle position. Many have mixed and matched and found a setup they like. All of this is also highly subjective and honestly you probably can't get a realistic idea of how you'll like a TCU tune until you just try it. The nice thing about Cobb or similar flashing platforms is that you're not locked into a single tuner or vendor if you want to shop around and try other tunes.

nm94

Car(s)
2021 MK 7.5 GTI SE
What goals are you wanting to reach that OTS TCU tunes you've read about not reaching? I have IE currently on my GTI and I like it. They don't do stages, it's 1 tune and done.
Not goals really, just preferences. Most TCU tunes shift based on engine speed and I'd prefer something that can adjust based on throttle input. Since the DQ381 is different characteristically, it's hard to compare with the DQ250 (6-speed) as far as tuning goes. Because from what I've seen, the IE DSG tune for DQ381 seems to shift a bit slow for what I would like. So my preferences would be a tune that's throttle based and doesn't shift at the same engine speed, along with something that's quicker/more aggressive than stock. Oh and definitely something that gets rid of the initial lag on takeoff. IE was one of the tuners that I was looking heavily into though, so I appreciate the feedback. But like I said, just hard to compare with two different transmissions.

Last edited:

nm94

Car(s)
2021 MK 7.5 GTI SE
You can certainly do it, but usually things works best/as intended when matching ecu and tcu tunes. Because the ECU defines how much torque is requested at different throttle positions, and the TCU tune adjusts shift points based off throttle position. Many have mixed and matched and found a setup they like. All of this is also highly subjective and honestly you probably can't get a realistic idea of how you'll like a TCU tune until you just try it. The nice thing about Cobb or similar flashing platforms is that you're not locked into a single tuner or vendor if you want to shop around and try other tunes.
That's kind of what I was thinking.. and knowing me, my OCD absolutely doesn't like the idea of mixing and matching tunes for the sake of not running as in sync as they could but I guess I was just hoping for people to chime in who have had good experiences. I'm definitely leaning towards Cobb AP for the sake of being able to reclaim value later through resale unlike going full APR. However, I've heard good things about APR's TCU tune which is how I've gotten here lol. Unfortunately, I don't see myself bouncing from tune to tune as I couldn't really expend the extra cash for it, which is why I'm seeking out as much info as possible to make the most educated decision I can, with my preferences (see previous comment) for how the tune should be in mind. Appreciate the help! And thanks for answering the original question of if you can run a Cobb AP tune and dealer tune. I knew it was probably doable since the AP is just a fancy flash tool after all, but I wasn't sure if using AP along with dealer tuning would present any issues.

Last edited:

itskohler

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 1998 4runn
Not goals really, just preferences. Most TCU tunes shift based on engine speed and I'd prefer something that can adjust based on throttle input. Since the DQ381 is different characteristically, it's hard to compare with the DQ250 (6-speed) as far as tuning goes. Because from what I've seen, the IE DSG tune for DQ381 seems to shift a bit slow for what I would like. So my preferences would be a tune that's throttle based and doesn't shift at the same engine speed, along with something that's quicker/more aggressive than stock. Oh and definitely something that gets rid of the initial lag on takeoff. IE was one of the tuners that I was looking heavily into though, so I appreciate the feedback. But like I said, just hard to compare with two different transmissions.
In drive yes it shifts slow, in S it seems (no appreciable evidence to back this up) that it's much more happy to stay through the Rev range.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
EQT's DQ381 tune is fine. Could use more clamping pressure on hybrid setups but based on your questions I'm assuming you're on a stock turbo.
If you haven't purchased it yet they usually give you a slight discount if you bundle it with an ECU tune.

nm94

Car(s)
2021 MK 7.5 GTI SE
EQT's DQ381 tune is fine. Could use more clamping pressure on hybrid setups but based on your questions I'm assuming you're on a stock turbo.
If you haven't purchased it yet they usually give you a slight discount if you bundle it with an ECU tune.
Looking for slightly more than "fine" I guess haha. I'm definitely more focused on the DSG tune than ECU at this point. I'm sure I'd be happy with most ECU tunes as they are similar enough. I've mostly been going off of the mygolfmk7 information. Jeff has compiled a great resource that I've looked to for other things he's tested, like his intake airflow data, to help me make decisions. https://mygolfmk7.com/dsg-tcu-tune-mk7-gti/

Along with that, I've diligently searched everywhere from YouTube videos to forum posts/comments.

The benefit of going EQT is if I choose to upgrade parts later, the initial investment of the AP would mean for possibly cheaper tunes as I upgrade and spend on parts. I am considering the APR DTR6054 kit later though, so even if I went with their DSG tune, the stage 3 tune would be a free upgrade.

I guess part of my hesitation and where I'm at is taking the step to choose which system/brand I go with first that will help me to go the path of least resistance and minimize cost. Just a lot to consider, sorry I'm all over the place.

As a write this, I'm being more convinced that I should just do full EQT.. even if I did go APR, id never get that money back later.

I live like five minutes from a shop that supplies APR, Uni, IE, and 034, and I probably live an hour a way from EQT's HQ, all of which have made the decision harder lol.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Looking for slightly more than "fine" I guess haha. I'm definitely more focused on the DSG tune than ECU at this point. I'm sure I'd be happy with most ECU tunes as they are similar enough. I've mostly been going off of the mygolfmk7 information. Jeff has compiled a great resource that I've looked to for other things he's tested, like his intake airflow data, to help me make decisions. https://mygolfmk7.com/dsg-tcu-tune-mk7-gti/

Along with that, I've diligently searched everywhere from YouTube videos to forum posts/comments.

The benefit of going EQT is if I choose to upgrade parts later, the initial investment of the AP would mean for possibly cheaper tunes as I upgrade and spend on parts. I am considering the APR DTR6054 kit later though, so even if I went with their DSG tune, the stage 3 tune would be a free upgrade.

I guess part of my hesitation and where I'm at is taking the step to choose which system/brand I go with first that will help me to go the path of least resistance and minimize cost. Just a lot to consider, sorry I'm all over the place.

As a write this, I'm being more convinced that I should just do full EQT.. even if I did go APR, id never get that money back later.

I live like five minutes from a shop that supplies APR, Uni, IE, and 034, and I probably live an hour a way from EQT's HQ, all of which have made the decision harder lol.
Jeff is mostly full of shit. He's ok at testing one metric, but his controls and presentation are usually terrible. Same thing for his 'real world' testing. He just likes getting in beefs with aftermarket vendors in hopes of getting to sue someone again.

DSG tunes are somewhat subjective, some people prefer slightly different shift points, pedal positions for downshifts, aggressiveness of upshifts, etc. The EQT tune will work well (i.e. not kill your clutches) with their ECU tune. The downside is that you'll be paying for revisions if you want to change any of that. Upside is you retain value on your AP when you go to re-sell.
Regardless, I'd stick with the same vendor for both. I've mixed an EQT/8BP ecu tune with um/eqt/8bp dsg tunes, as well as EQT + EQT, UM + UM, and 8BP + 8BP and the best results (shift smoothness, speed, shift points, and launch control behavior) were always on homogenous tuning.

I don't know what your local smog testing is like, but keep in mind APR still doesn't have CARB approval for the DTR.

My recommendation is just to pick one and then do what most people do and convince yourself that's the best. It'll be a step up from stock either way.

nm94

Car(s)
2021 MK 7.5 GTI SE
My recommendation is just to pick one and then do what most people do and convince yourself that's the best. It'll be a step up from stock either way.

haha this ^^^. ain't that the truth, I guess I'm more objective though as I'm legitimately just trying to find the best. So I'm not trying to absolutely cheap out, but I just want to make the best first move to avoid costs from switching and trying other things etc. Sounds like I can't go wrong with EQT though. Thanks for sharing your experience and perspective for a lowly "not even tuned yet" person like me. It's been a long time coming- I leased a 2018 GTI S manual and absolutely loved it, and when it came time to end lease, I financed it and sold it making 9 grand additional because of the chip shortage market. Never got to tune that car even though I had hopes to, but I was able to use the 9 grand to get into a 2021 SE w/DSG, as it's a better, more future proofed family car, and with the PP options and DSG, better (subjective) for tuning. So I've been in a 7.5 GTI for five years of wanting to tune for all of them and doing the research and I think at this point it's making me go a little crazy. I've enjoyed them a lot but being a big car enthusiast and knowing what this car can become from a simple tune is tough to see. Unfortunately, I'm a practical guy and my wife's practical as well, so this being my wife's car now too means that tuning under warranty is a difficult decision. I "only" have two years left till it's up but as for where I'm at, at five years in, that just seems like a long, long time. Money is short right now as well as we are in a transient phase of basically getting our lives started so that's been a big factor in being able to even afford any of this stuff. At this point I'm almost just ready to give up the dream and I'm kind of regretting re-investing back into another new car that's relatively expensive in the first place when I can't even get what I want out of it. When/if the day comes that I can just get a simple stage 1 tune, I'll be the happiest GTI owner in existence.

I believe APR is working on getting CARB approval so like I said, it'd be something I'd do more down the line (once that happens). But I'm poor so its just a pipe dream at this point anyways.

Appreciate the help.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Unfortunately, I'm a practical guy and my wife's practical as well, so this being my wife's car now too means that tuning under warranty is a difficult decision.

I believe APR is working on getting CARB approval so like I said, it'd be something I'd do more down the line (once that happens). But I'm poor so its just a pipe dream at this point anyways.
If you're the type to be concerned about warranties, I'd go with APR.

I would not hold my breath for CARB approval, however. I suspect the majority of current owners will have moved on from the platform before that happens.

nm94

Car(s)
2021 MK 7.5 GTI SE
Y
If you're the type to be concerned about warranties, I'd go with APR.

I would not hold my breath for CARB approval, however. I suspect the majority of current owners will have moved on from the platform before that happens.
You mean by doing APR plus? True. It is a great option but I have a hard time not seeing it as an expensive low torque 87 oct tune. Especially because of how confident I am in the reliability of this platform and having driven these cars for a few years now many miles, but it’s still a big decision for us. So APR plus is a great option but it is pricey. I guess a plus would be the free “full” tune later 🤷‍♂️

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Y

You mean by doing APR plus? True. It is a great option but I have a hard time not seeing it as an expensive low torque 87 oct tune. Especially because of how confident I am in the reliability of this platform and having driven these cars for a few years now many miles, but it’s still a big decision for us. So APR plus is a great option but it is pricey. I guess a plus would be the free “full” tune later 🤷‍♂️
Nah, APR plus isn't worthwhile IMO. But APR is fairly conservative, odds of blowing something up and needing to care about warranty are probably less.