GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roc Euro Stabilizer Bar cracked DSG housing

m3lonbr3ad

Ready to race!
Dealer called me. I'm super weirded out, because they said "The dogbone is an aftermarket part, so this isn't covered." Which is weird, because I reverted the car to stock... It's totally stock under there. I even remember the OEM pendulum bar has a VAG parts sticker on it. So I'm going to ask them for a picture to show me what that mean that I have an aftermarket part on my car... Cause I don't, as a matter of fact.

If you don't have any aftermarket parts, just say that. No need to ask them for something to slow the process down.

spelk3

Ready to race!
Car(s)
‘17 BMW xDrive35i
Dealer called me. I'm super weirded out, because they said "The dogbone is an aftermarket part, so this isn't covered." Which is weird, because I reverted the car to stock... It's totally stock under there. I even remember the OEM pendulum bar has a VAG parts sticker on it. So I'm going to ask them for a picture to show me what that mean that I have an aftermarket part on my car... Cause I don't, as a matter of fact.

Maybe they could tell the bolts had been removed and replaced and assumed you had an aftermarket part at some point in the past?

White18

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Here is a question that has bothered me about the mounting bolts and the RE bolt tension issue.

The front 2 OE TTY bolts are to be torqued to about 38 ft-lb +90*.

The instructions for the RE pendulum's non-TTY bolts they supply say to torque to 38 ft-lb. They do not say to torque another 90*. They do want loctite on the 2 smaller bolts.

The APR instructions for their pendulum's front non-TTY bolts says to torque to 54 ft-lb.

Does it seem that torquing the RE bolts to only 38 ft-lb does not provide the same grip (even with the loctite) as the OE TTY bolts at 38 ft-lb+90* or the APR non-TTY bolts at 54 ft-lb and may be the reason several users have reported RE bolts backing out?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Here is a question that has bothered me about the mounting bolts and the RE bolt tension issue.

The instructions for the RE pendulum's non-TTY bolts they supply say to torque to 38 ft-lb. They do not say to torque another 90*. They do want loctite on the 2 smaller bolts.

The APR instructions for their pendulum's front non-TTY bolts says to torque to 54 ft-lb.

Does it seem that torquing the RE bolts to only 38 ft-lb does not provide the same grip (even with the loctite) as the OE TTY bolts at 38 ft-lb+90* or the APR non-TTY bolts at 54 ft-lb and may be the reason several users have reported RE bolts backing out?

I believe it.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36

If the loctite provided wasn't correct, then that is certainly a possibility. Angle torque is only used on TTY bolts, as that is the action that "stretches" them and gives them the ability to keep correct torque through expansion and contraction due to heat.

Normally if you are reusing TTY bolts, common logic is to use the correct strength loctite for the application and torque it to the ft-lb of normal spec. When replacing TTY bolts with non-TTY bolts, common logic is to torque to bolts tighter, as they don't stretch so the original torque value may not be tight enough.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
GolfWang curious what are your plans now that the dealer denied the claim and the repair is on your dollar?

Waiting on the official confirmation from the corporate representative who is coming out today to say yes/no. 99% chance he says no. If that happens, I will return to the installer who improperly installed the part, and see if they'll work with me. I'm hoping to source a sub-40K mile DSG from a totaled MK7 (my money), and get it installed by the shop that did the mount incorrectly. Might sound weird to trust them with a bigger job when they couldn't do a small one right, but I can't afford the multi-thousand dollar job this will be. And ultimately, this place is a super popular euro shop amongst Porsche/Audi owners, so I'm hoping this was some random fluke, and that they're willing to stand by their reputation/work.

This sucks, alot.

White18

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Unless they saw this thread, how do they know you had a non-oem pendulum? Even if they could tell the bolts were removed and but back in, that doesn't mean you used a different pendulum. Do you have a non-oem pendulum mount installed?

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
Depending on the damage, a good welder could cut out the broken portion, then fill with aluminium followed by a drill and tap. Then your trans will be good as new.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Waiting on the official confirmation from the corporate representative who is coming out today to say yes/no. 99% chance he says no. If that happens, I will return to the installer who improperly installed the part, and see if they'll work with me. I'm hoping to source a sub-40K mile DSG from a totaled MK7 (my money), and get it installed by the shop that did the mount incorrectly. Might sound weird to trust them with a bigger job when they couldn't do a small one right, but I can't afford the multi-thousand dollar job this will be. And ultimately, this place is a super popular euro shop amongst Porsche/Audi owners, so I'm hoping this was some random fluke, and that they're willing to stand by their reputation/work.

This sucks, alot.

Most shops don't warranty aftermarket parts provided by customers. You provided a part, it fucked up the car, there's 0 way to prove it was due to their install, and not a failure of the provided parts which RE admitted too and have corrected. Just saying. Hope for the best but expect the worst.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Unless they saw this thread, how do they know you had a non-oem pendulum? Even if they could tell the bolts were removed and but back in, that doesn't mean you used a different pendulum.

They're a performance shop. They know what goes on. Perhaps to my own detriment, I miscalculated that because they're a "mod-friendly" dealer, they'd look the other way, considering it was brought in stock, aside from a cold air intake an aftermarket wheels. Maybe that was stupid of me, too.

Do you have a non-oem pendulum mount installed?

No, I removed it and reinstalled OEM mount. Nothing aftermarket anywhere near the point of failure.