GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Road noise which is puzzling!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The TPMS is completely unrelated. A tire store can do a reset of the TPMS. And I don't mean just resetting the light in the infotainment center. Get the wheel bearings checked. Did you try changing gears when you hear the noise?

Jc8887

The TPMS is completely unrelated. A tire store can do a reset of the TPMS. And I don't mean just resetting the light in the infotainment center. Get the wheel bearings checked. Did you try changing gears when you hear the noise?

Hmmm.

No; was running in gear - whatever gear still the same. whats the thinking with changing WHILST it occurs though?

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
The TPMS system in these cars uses a ring and sensor system in the hub. If a wheel bearing is starting to go, the sensor can rub on the ring and make a grinding sound. It may also throw codes related to wheel speed, and if you have a DSG, it may shift abnormally under certain conditions. The next thing I would do is pull codes.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The TPMS system in these cars uses a ring and sensor system in the hub. If a wheel bearing is starting to go, the sensor can rub on the ring and make a grinding sound. It may also throw codes related to wheel speed, and if you have a DSG, it may shift abnormally under certain conditions. The next thing I would do is pull codes.

I believe that he has only had the TPMS warning a few times and it's for all 4 wheels not a specific wheel. He does need to get the wheel bearings checked though.

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
Hello All!

So, reaching out to you all to see if someone can help with this....

Within the last month, I've found that i get excessive levels of road noise in my GTD. It's at its loudest between 15-20mph when I'm coasting and not under power; it's like a normal tyre rumble but just magnified!; as soon as I go above 20mph however it seems to fade which has now left me wondering what on earth it is!! Even coasting above 20mph seems fine...

Just to clarify;

I've checked my tires at the rear (where this seems to resonate from). one tyre has been studded with what seems to be a nail however this is in the tread and not caused any deflation.

I previously had my car serviced and I recall them saying I had serrated a tyre (which I couldn't understand how nor spot myself!...maybe I'm being blind).

I'm hoping it's not wheel bearing related ....Hoping not as it's not the same kind of noise and not constant at high speed (i've been in another car which HAS had bearing failure)..

Anybody experienced this or have any ideas?

Cheers All!
Mine is exactly the same