GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rim recommendations- Golf R

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Appreciate its subjective. But I can only liken it to a man being sent to buy tampons 😂 with no other understanding of size, brand, effectiveness etc 😉 thats how I feel about trying to pick new rims.

Is there a benefit to having or not having hub rings? I just had to Google what they are 🤦🏼‍♀️

Thanks for your choices 👱‍♀️

Totally understand. You're asking for actual advice, which I can appreciate.

Most hub rings are plastic. They aren't very sturdy, but do their jobs well. There's always the risk of breaking them or one coming loose, etc. There really isn't a benefit / deficit of having a wheel that requires a hub ring to fit properly, it's just another part that can fail / cause vibration issues if they aren't installed and torqued properly.

If you can, running a wheel with the proper hub bore means you won't need hub rings. It's just one less thing to worry about. The wheel mates to the hub naturally, kinda like sex without a condom.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I've been trying to read alot online and saw that the 18" are better for durability, but I just brought bran new tyres in Feb and so think I will stick with the 19".

The thing I read that I was worried about was the weight difference between the standard pertoria rims and a pair I buy myself.

What's the benefit of running more tyre width?
Thanks 👱‍♀️
Regarding tire width, just remember that with the inflation pressure staying the same, the contact area will remain the same with wider tires--the shape of the contact patch will change though. Going with a wider tire creates a wider, shorter, contact patch. That typically means slightly greater lateral grip but a slightly greater stopping distance and less grip accelerating. It also lessens traction in snow. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

There's more to going with 18's instead of 19's than just the added cushion from a taller sidewall: all other things being the same, an 18" tire/wheel will weigh less than the same tread-width 19" combination. That not only reduces unsprung weight, but also rotational inertia. Than translates into greater traction over irregular surfaces as well as slightly faster acceleration and shorter stopping.

Those advantages of lighter wheels/tire combos is why many people pay top dollar for flow-formed, forged alloy, and carbon-fiber wheels. Pretoria's are flow-formed, which are lighter than most standard gravity-cast wheels. Staying the same size, you won't find too much difference with most aftermarket flow-formed wheels, aside from price. Forged alloy wheels will be significantly lighter without forfeiting overall strength, though when they lose out to potholes, the damage is often unrepairable. Carbon fiber wheels even more so; but if you can afford CF wheels, you should be driving a Porsche, not a VW.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I just converted my summer and winter setup to 17”. I much prefer the larger sidewall and cheaper tires that can be used in this configuration. I also don’t go into immediate panic mode when the streets are crummy. Here’s 225/50/17 on my R.

Attachments

• 4199F75A-2E8F-4DAB-8D75-CE78E935525A.jpeg
    4199F75A-2E8F-4DAB-8D75-CE78E935525A.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 98

Rwm44

Car(s)
Golf R
Regarding tire width, just remember that with the inflation pressure staying the same, the contact area will remain the same with wider tires--the shape of the contact patch will change though. Going with a wider tire creates a wider, shorter, contact patch. That typically means slightly greater lateral grip but a slightly greater stopping distance and less grip accelerating. It also lessens traction in snow. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

There's more to going with 18's instead of 19's than just the added cushion from a taller sidewall: all other things being the same, an 18" tire/wheel will weigh less than the same tread-width 19" combination. That not only reduces unsprung weight, but also rotational inertia. Than translates into greater traction over irregular surfaces as well as slightly faster acceleration and shorter stopping.

Those advantages of lighter wheels/tire combos is why many people pay top dollar for flow-formed, forged alloy, and carbon-fiber wheels. Pretoria's are flow-formed, which are lighter than most standard gravity-cast wheels. Staying the same size, you won't find too much difference with most aftermarket flow-formed wheels, aside from price. Forged alloy wheels will be significantly lighter without forfeiting overall strength, though when they lose out to potholes, the damage is often unrepairable. Carbon fiber wheels even more so; but if you can afford CF wheels, you should be driving a Porsche, not a VW.
Thank you for the detail! It's avtually really helpful 😊😊