GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Ricer" racist?

D Darko

Ready to race!
So my wife and I took the kids out to do some things before dinner tonight and guy drove by in a Nissan 240. Just like most of you (I expect), I notice cars more the the average person. Anyway, it was a nice ride. Well kept, sounded good, and very tastefully done IMHO. Except for the huge can for a tailpipe. I could tell it was at the end of a full 3" or so exhaust all the way back. The can was really the only part I was not a fan of looking over the car. I pointed out to my wife what a nice ride it was (especially for it's age) except for the 'ricer' can at the end of exhaust. She looked at me and said that was racist. We had a bit of a back and forth discussion about what this means and she wasn't convinced. Since thinking about it more, I am doubting my defense a bit. Told her I would post on here to get some other feedback. I realize this may not be the most unbiased group to ask, considering the nature of the topic, but here it is none the less. Thoughts?

BEysler

Ready to race!
Its origins, yes. Originally the term was a bit racist... but It's evolved now to the point where its a genre of "tuners", I know quite a few asians who use the term.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

Murdered6

Ready to race!
what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

hahaha in all honesty last time i checked being a 'ricer' is not a race and i don't think that you were being racist in the least bit.

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2011 CW GTI Autobahn
The term "ricer" refers more to the subculture of the JDM scene and its enthusiasts who do gaudy or "in bad taste" things to their cars (super high wings, big fart cans, insanely loud exhaust, underglow kits, etc.). Your wife may be thinking that the term "ricer" is a racial slur of some sort, being that a large part of the JDM scene and its enthusiasts are indeed, Asian.

Just a disclaimer, I am of Asian descent myself :). Hope my insight will help in your argument/debate :cool:

hpowders

Ready to race!
In Dublin it's called O' Wasis.

D Darko

Ready to race!
Yeah...obviously I didn't intend it that way, but can totally see how this may sound to someone outside our tuner culture. I was struggling to come up with a decent analogy to help convince her.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
On a side-note it sounds like your wife has you by the balls :lol:

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
RICE is just an acronym for Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement... basically dumb shit to make it look fast without serving any real functional purpose.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

hahaha in all honesty last time i checked being a 'ricer' is not a race and i don't think that you were being racist in the least bit.

That is correct! Haha!

Definitely not racist. It's more a knock on the car than the person driving it. Plenty of white folk are ricers!

E. Tiberius

Passed Driver's Ed
The first time I heard the term was when I was 9 or 10, about 20 years ago.

One of my druncles (think drunk + uncle) was talking trash about my other druncles new Toyota.

He kept calling it a rice burner, because it came from Asia and "...they got more rice than gas over there", according to him.

So I have always assumed ricer was derived from rice burner.

Maybe not intentionally racist when used now, but it definitely has some ignorant anti foreigner origins.

Cwykle99

Ready to race!
Tell your wife that SHE is in fact the racist. Who said only asians eat rice? Mexicans enjoy rice, as do most hispanics. Im white and I LOVE rice of all colors (look how unracist and incredibly humble I am!). Ricer describes pointless and usually cheap modifications to a car. Such as a fart can exhaust, spinning hubcaps, neon underbody glow, that spiral bullshit from ebay that spins the air in your intake, civics dropped with pigeon toed wheels, etc...