GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review: APR SCU (DSC Controller)

G4ndalf

Car(s)
MK5 GTI & MK 7.5R
So I popped the DSC controller back in with the accel table zeroed and the velocity table zeroed. Car felt pretty good but bouncy. I ended up taking out some low speed rebound and adding a little high speed rebound, everything else zero on the velocity table. Car feels pretty damn good right now. I will be keeping it in and enjoying it now. Maybe a little more tweaking but I am liking things right now. If anyone wants my file let me know. I am on VWR springs and bilstein B6 damptronics.
Hi. I'd like to try a copy of your files. Thanks

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
How’s the tuning going with the B6’s? I’m still on Eibachs and B6’s + OEM controller. Wouldn’t mind a little more small bump compliance and flatter cornering + less squatting under hard pulls.

2019 Golf R

Passed Driver's Ed
Short update to my review - temps dropped a little lower here in NC and my OEM battery replacement hit the two year mark. I think those contributed to the DSC module no longer working.

I'm in touch with APR, providing them these dash codes as well as all of my OBD11 log files. I suspect it's the DSC controller causing this because these two errors happen on 911's when the DSC needs a factory reboot. Hypothesis is if the battery trips up or gets a little too low/old this can happen.

Will let everyone know how this gets resolved. The car is currently driving more comfortable than ever before, haha. I will be swapping back in the OEM module this weekend and clearing the codes to isolate the DSC module as the culprit too.

IMG_0695.jpeg
IMG_0696.jpeg
IMG_0695.jpegIMG_0696.jpegIMG_0696.jpeg

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I suspect that the controller draws more amperage than the stock one. I always had way more electrical problems with it installed. Especially on a questionable battery.

2019 Golf R

Passed Driver's Ed
I suspect that the controller draws more amperage than the stock one. I always had way more electrical problems with it installed. Especially on a questionable battery.
Yeah, I can see that too - have lots of soft error codes right now - will compare once the stock module is put back in. Also waiting to hear back from APR on what to do with the controller next.

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
How’s the tuning going with the B6’s? I’m still on Eibachs and B6’s + OEM controller. Wouldn’t mind a little more small bump compliance and flatter cornering + less squatting under hard pulls.
I’m gonna get back to modifying this week. I popped in the OEM controller because I was getting some front assist errors coming and going and wanted to see if it was related to the controller at all and it isn’t. Also I wanted to get a refresh on what the OEM controller feels like comfort wise because I am having trouble dialing in some comfort with the DSC controller. Definitely handles better with the DSC controller, but still a bit too bouncy for my taste. I wish I was better at suspension tuning but I literally have no idea what I’m doing. I have a small grasp on how things work but I’m no professional. I can send you my file though and you can try it out and see if you like it better. Send me a PM with your email.

2019 Golf R

Passed Driver's Ed
Short Update: Swapped back in the OEM controller and all the fault codes went away. APR sent me a full refund after I mailed the DSC controller back to them. Chapter closed. Maybe someday someone will get this right - tons of unrealized potential with this concept.

beanbag

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
2024 bump to ask if either APR or DSC made any updates or changes to these units to address the error codes. Or should I consider this an abandoned product? (seemed really good in principle)

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
2024 bump to ask if either APR or DSC made any updates or changes to these units to address the error codes. Or should I consider this an abandoned product? (seemed really good in principle)
I personally don’t have any experience with the error codes. I have a DSC unit and never had any such problems. I also definitely have three separate modes, as I have made changes in the maps and can feel the difference. I’m selling my DSC controller if you’re interested. Going a different direction with my car. For a daily DCC car I think this controller is a great option. I just wish there was someone that really knew what they were doing in terms of suspension tuning because I think you could really dial in a car with this controller, I’m just not that guy. I know DSC does custom tuning on other platforms. I bet if someone was local to their shop in Maryland and had some money to play with they would do a custom tune.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Klrider44 Did you look at real time data with VCDS or OBD11 to confirm three modes?

And do you have a scan of your car? Some people have had hardware issues, but a lot of the issues seem to be software driven. Maybe you have the right combination of modules and software for error free operation... Maybe your car is exactly like the car that (we assume) they tested with.

Last edited:

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
It's weird - all these units either get returned or sold off.
Honestly if I didn’t want to raise my car up a bit I would probably keep it and keep messing with the tuning of it. (VWR springs are just too low for my wheel and tire setup) I told myself if I ever pulled this suspension off again I’m just getting coilovers. I have been in and out of a few different wheel and tire setups and I would really like the adjustability of coilovers. I wish the KW DCC coilovers weren’t so expensive….i bet that would be a killer setup with the DSC controller.

beanbag

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Honestly if I didn’t want to raise my car up a bit I would probably keep it and keep messing with the tuning of it. (VWR springs are just too low for my wheel and tire setup) I told myself if I ever pulled this suspension off again I’m just getting coilovers. I have been in and out of a few different wheel and tire setups and I would really like the adjustability of coilovers. I wish the KW DCC coilovers weren’t so expensive….i bet that would be a killer setup with the DSC controller.
Why not just get springs with an adjustable perch (like Ground Control) and put those on your stock Monroe DCC shocks. Now you have "coil overs". Use the DSC module to make the shocks stiffer.

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
Why not just get springs with an adjustable perch (like Ground Control) and put those on your stock Monroe DCC shocks. Now you have "coil overs". Use the DSC module to make the shocks stiffer.
Honestly I did think about that, I looked into the MSS kits and they are very expensive. The nice thing about the ground control stuff is you can get custom spring rates, but that also opens up another can of worms. Spring rates seem to be very important when it comes to spring and shock combos and making everything agree for a good ride quality and cornering performance. I also have the bilstein B6 DCC shocks and struts so that is another factor on my end which could complicate things. So if I had a better grasp on suspension and how to setup things properly I could probably make things work and be happy with a setup, but it’s really out of my realm.

At this point I wish I just had the OEM DCC setup with the controller as that is what it was calibrated for, but those parts are long gone and buying them new is ridiculously expensive.