GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reverse gear issue

len A

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone having problems with reverse gear. 2 or 3 times now I've gone to put it in first gear only to set off and actually been in reverse which was a bit of a shock. It went in quite easy without pressing the gear stick down as normal so don't think it's my fault just wondering whether I need to take it to the dealer.​
cheers len A​

dickt

Ready to race!
Len,
I've been on the Mk 7 forums, (forii??) for quite a while. Yours is the first comment I've heard about gear selection.

acapvwgti

Ready to race!
I have the opposite. I find it hard to get it in reverse at times. One time I thought it was in reverse clean and it wasn't.

Bah434x

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah not read anything myself either so going to give dealer a ring Monday just doesn't feel right.

Must be cars in the north east as my new Golf R is doing exactly the same, did you get this resolved...

Beddoe

Hi Len A
I'm having a similar problem on my two-month old SE. It seems to happen within the first mile of a cold start. eg I approach a 'T' junction at about 20mph in second gear, stop and move the lever into first. Moving off a few seconds later the car seems to be in reverse. With the clutch pedal still fully depressed I pull the lever back into neutral and move it from side to side before reselecting first gear and moving forward normally. Although this has happened on at least three occasions the curious thing is that it does not necessarily happen at the first 'T' junction that I approach. The other morning I had followed the same sequence at two earlier 'T' junctions and moved off without difficulty. The gear change is fine at all other times, an improvement on that of the mark 6 GT 140 TDi which was itself an improvement on that of the mark 5 GT 140 TDi.
I've owned nine Golfs over 26 year and all have had reverse gear next to first ie press lever down and move it to the left and forward. Like you I do not think I have made a mistake.
Regards, Beddoe

Perhaps it's time to admit that it may have been driver error on account of the higher gear lever position on the mark 7 compared with previous models. Also the 'gate' may be narrower, that is the distance that the lever moves through from left to right (across the gate) in neutral may be less than in previous models? The problem has not happened again.
Beddoe (Updated 1 December 2014)

Last edited:

rikkitikkitavi

I've had my 2016 VW GTI 6MT for a week and have experienced the same issue as the OP. I'll put it in reverse, back up, put it into 1st - but it is still "in reverse" in that the car goes backwards when I disengage the clutch/give it gas.

I've driven manuals for 20+ years and have never experienced anything like it. And I am absolutely, positively, without a doubt, in first gear when this happens. To "fix" it I simply shift to neutral then first again.

I'm going to get it checked because I fear at some point I'll need to quickly go from reverse to first, and the extra second or two to realize it's still "in reverse" despite being shifted into first will be the difference between avoiding something and not avoiding something.

LeGti

Ready to race!
Same happened to me thrice in 10K miles. Reverse lockout detent spring is a little weak imho. Maybe Delrin or metal shifter bushings will help avoid mistakingly engage reverse?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have major problems getting reverse..............& I have had nothing but manual VAG cars for the past 21yrs & this is the worst gearbox from new that I have had!

I have re-aligned it as it is the same procedure as most VAG cars. BUT I notice that the alignment hole in the gearstick base is now plastic & not metal!

When using the same bolt & drill bit method that I have always done to very good effect in the past on VASG cars......on this car there is still movement due to plastic! AArrrgggghhhh!!!

I tried to correct this 4 times now & only one of those times was it anywhere near perfect!

Used a T27 key as round 5mm shank, best so far as 1,2,3,4,5,6 is way better but reverse is still a pig because although you push down & to the left it downs down "slot" but only half way down, so not fully forward, so have to re-engage first & try again, with the reversing camera going in & out......

hoping to get the VAG tool T10027a to try to do the job perfect..............

beside this & bloody wipers (yes I have bosch) & cleaned the screen, infact have gtechnique quarts coated & still judderedy but better than when I got the car...........

The car is great................

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just a another go at aligning the cables.........noticed that the "square" end eye has loads of play in it, 42darft designs to a solid metal plate bush for this...............which I will check out.

Also noticed some shaft play, but my god it is really notchy, but good from say 1/2, 3/4............I think the gearshift is designed tight, but because of too much play designed into cable/bushes it makes life difficult.

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
Just a another go at aligning the cables.........noticed that the "square" end eye has loads of play in it, 42darft designs to a solid metal plate bush for this...............which I will check out.

Also noticed some shaft play, but my god it is really notchy, but good from say 1/2, 3/4............I think the gearshift is designed tight, but because of too much play designed into cable/bushes it makes life difficult.

Definitely swap out the end link bushings and I also recommend the bracket or at the very least the bracket bushings. I went with the full bracket but probably could have lived either way.

Since the shifter alignment slot is plastic as you noticed there is inherit inaccuracy built in. One thing I noticed on this car is taking all the slack out of the cables provides the best results.
Jimmy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Definitely swap out the end link bushings and I also recommend the bracket or at the very least the bracket bushings. I went with the full bracket but probably could have lived either way.

Since the shifter alignment slot is plastic as you noticed there is inherit inaccuracy built in. One thing I noticed on this car is taking all the slack out of the cables provides the best results.
Jimmy

The audi metal bracket looks a no go as different vW parts for MQ250 & MQ350 gearboxes...........Audi metal fits the MQ350 & not the MQ250 as far as I am aware!

Go to double check the bushes tho as none listed for OEM on my MQ250 gearbox! Lots to find out because most stuff is done for the MQ350 gearbox & the leavers etc are different to the MQ250...........

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I've had this problem too and have posted about it, although on different sub form. You're not alone. I have corrected it by not placing my hand on top of the shift knob and gripping around it instead. I found that when I was in a hurry to shift, I would grab the knob and accidentally push down on it very slightly, which would throw it in reverse. It was definitely user error, but at the same time, it is WAY too easy to do this. I should have to push down much further in my opinion.

As a result I have lost a lot of confidence in leaving from a stop light as I am constantly worried about accidentally backing in to someone. To help I usually shift, from neutral, to second then first so I know it didn't go into reverse.

I am installing a short shifter and some 034 billet bushings next week, hopefully that helps.

ChrisGTD

Passed Driver's Ed
I've just posted about the same issue.
My car has done 13.5k miles and has recently started doing this.
On Friday I tried to select first twice and thought it was in but I went backwards when I pressed the accelerator.
It's not user error, I've never had this in the past with other cars or on this one when it was new.
I also have lost confidence in setting off from standstill because of this