GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah thats a bummer, spending 300+ Dollar for just this work doesnt make sense to me., unless if someone willing to rent their cable for a couple of days, that i can pay.
Yep, im pretty sure there are guys who will do it remotely for you using Vas5054.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Update time for me...

So after trying the calibration again, but still issues, I asked my contact that supplied me with part numbers for the windscreen. He said it was a parameter issue (as cam was from another car). He's had a look at it for me today, got the coding/parameters complete and then calibrated it with me.

All was going great, but once done, lane assist still wouldn't enable. I have 1 error left on A5 for databus missing message and I have an error on my cluster still for a software version issue.

The conclusion is that my gateway and cluster are both too old :(
What a massive disappointment.

I don't really know what to do now to be honest. I'm a fair way into this retrofit, but don't have anything working. The cost to continue on vs giving up and saying this isn't for me is a difficult decision to make. :(

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Update time for me...

So after trying the calibration again, but still issues, I asked my contact that supplied me with part numbers for the windscreen. He said it was a parameter issue (as cam was from another car). He's had a look at it for me today, got the coding/parameters complete and then calibrated it with me.

All was going great, but once done, lane assist still wouldn't enable. I have 1 error left on A5 for databus missing message and I have an error on my cluster still for a software version issue.

I don't really know what to do now to be honest. I'm a fair way into this retrofit, but don't have anything working. The cost to continue on vs giving up and saying this isn't for me is a difficult decision to make. :(
Hey, can you please send me a full scan of your car? I will tell you whats wrong.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey, can you please send me a full scan of your car? I will tell you whats wrong.

Hey Reaper!

I only have OBDeleven and ODIS (that I don't know too well yet). I'm not sure how I can provide a scan?

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
All,

Today I worked on the wiring of the lane assist camera high and low data wiring connecting to radar. For this, I removed the lead acid battery, the battery tray, and the motor (eGolf) bottom cover to successfully install the cables. I used pins 5 and 6 for the radar plug. I used the rubber hole port for bringing the cables inside the car as we have previously discussed. For the wiring inside the motor bay, I taped the cables with fabric wiring tape. This way it looks very OEM and wires are protected from weather. Also used zip ties to follow the same route as ACC wiring. I haven't started on the interior wiring setup but I will connect the radar directly to the camera module as we have discussed previously.

I am waiting for high beam camera cap for the mirror, so I can finish camera installation and interior wiring. Lastly, coding and calibration.

gando85

hi, where can i find the 3d print project of the braket? i have the 3q0 camera and i want to try that way. i have already wired all but the problem now is positioning the camera

sebstar

Update time for me...

Hi,
i found that discussion during i search info about my VC retrofit in my Audi A3 8V pre FaceLift. Wich is nearly the same as an Golf (MQB).

In this Case i have to change my also Retrofitted preFL 5Q Camera to an FL 3Q.
But I know if i´am ready with the VC retrofit, i lost one Funktion of the Assists. If i let installed the old 5Q Cam, i lost the Sign Rec. because of PSD issues with the VC.
With the new FL 3Q Camera, i lost the Lane Assist. Wich is an issue of PreFL Gateway and FL Car config, like maybee now the same issue in the car of @vw-ac.
Have you an PreFL Golf?
In the postal way to my is an special reprogramed FL 3Q Camera to the index H. And the Guy they sold it to me, told me that this work in an PreFL A3 with all Assists.
If i get the Cam maybee tomorrow, i plug it loose in and check what for issues in the system.

But a lot of guys they retrofit the 3Q Camera in an PreFL have the same problem like @vw-ac, if you have really an PreFL Golf you have to wait what the time is bringing.

Sorry for my bad english ;)
Sebastian

sebstar

And an other question.
Has someone the windshield bracket as an Single Part for the 3Q0 Camera? Or an link to That?

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Do we know / have confirmation whether or not the newer 3Q0 980 654 G camera will work with the older LRR (round, in the lower bumper) radar - 5Q0 907 567 G ?

sebstar

I have yesterday Stack the 3q0 Kamera for Testing. Of course an fault „calibration missing“. And a lot of faults in the Good old round ACC Sensor. After i Turn of in the ACC Sensor the Camera. Everything work Good.
So That is the was forward at the Moment.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,
i found that discussion during i search info about my VC retrofit in my Audi A3 8V pre FaceLift. Wich is nearly the same as an Golf (MQB).

In this Case i have to change my also Retrofitted preFL 5Q Camera to an FL 3Q.
But I know if i´am ready with the VC retrofit, i lost one Funktion of the Assists. If i let installed the old 5Q Cam, i lost the Sign Rec. because of PSD issues with the VC.
With the new FL 3Q Camera, i lost the Lane Assist. Wich is an issue of PreFL Gateway and FL Car config, like maybee now the same issue in the car of @vw-ac.
Have you an PreFL Golf?
In the postal way to my is an special reprogramed FL 3Q Camera to the index H. And the Guy they sold it to me, told me that this work in an PreFL A3 with all Assists.
If i get the Cam maybee tomorrow, i plug it loose in and check what for issues in the system.

But a lot of guys they retrofit the 3Q Camera in an PreFL have the same problem like @vw-ac, if you have really an PreFL Golf you have to wait what the time is bringing.

Sorry for my bad english ;)
Sebastian
I have yesterday Stack the 3q0 Kamera for Testing. Of course an fault „calibration missing“. And a lot of faults in the Good old round ACC Sensor. After i Turn of in the ACC Sensor the Camera. Everything work Good.
So That is the was forward at the Moment.

Hey!

Thanks for your message! Now this is interesting... Somehow during my research I missed the people having issues with a 3q0 cam on a non-fl car. The retrofitter I contacted also never mentioned my older car or LRR radar being an issue, it was actually him that recommended I get the 3q0 instead of the 5q0...

When you say "After i Turn of in the ACC Sensor the Camera. Everything work Good." do you mean that lane assist works if you disable ACC on the camera module? Or do you mean ACC works again?

At the moment I'm enjoying high beam assist and sort of enjoying the sign recognition (it only works on my Nav unit display, not my cluster (due to a firmware version error - I guess due to the age of my Golf)). I'd love to be able to complete this though and have lane assist working.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Do we know / have confirmation whether or not the newer 3Q0 980 654 G camera will work with the older LRR (round, in the lower bumper) radar - 5Q0 907 567 G ?

This is what I now want to see confirmation of - I'd not heard of this being an issue until now, when I have already changed my windscreen to one with the 3q0 bracket...
It's rather disappointing to be at this stage and unable to go any further and complete this :(

sebstar

Hi, on Friday I go to the shop and get my FL Shield.
After that I can tell you if everything work 100%. Because during my test I have no Calibration and you MUST done it before. The new Camera block every assist job without calibration.
That what I mean with work good is that no fail was in the rest of the system.

So sure is that the old ACC is not working with the new FL Camera. But I'm sure that all assists work well.
We will see it on Friday, but remember I have an A3 what ist MQB and nearly an Golf. But maybe little differences in the system?

@vw-ac what for PSD you got codet? 1.5 or 1.4? The 1.5 work only with the FL MIB and the FL Camera.
I have in old Camera PSD1.4 and in the MIB also 1.4 codet. After the change I can go to 1.5 in both.

sebstar

Hi again. Now i have the FL Screen with FL 3Q0 Camera. Everything work Fine. FLA, Lane assist and sign detcting. I have an navi That have PSD 1.5 it is an MIB2 Unit. I dont know if Sign detecting work with pre FL MIB. But Lane work. I deactivate in ACC the Kamera. But the acc is in Kamera Activ.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
I remember in piotr's overview that he posted at his mqb.pl site, he did reference "hearing unconfirmed reports" (or wording to that effect) that the new camera (3Q0) might not work with old radar (LRR).

And similar to vw-ac, I'm in much the same boat. I started with a 5Q0 camera (having already retrofit the round LRR for ACC - which is working great!) and had a windshield ready to install, but the arrangement of the mounts put the rearview mirror right up against the headliner (camera and rain sensor were beside each other instead of rain sensor below the camera), such that there was no way my mirror would fit.

The shop said they could get a windshield that had the arrangement I needed (headliner--->camera-->mirror/rain sensor), so I said great - go ahead. And then I go to pick it up, look at the mount and go :eek: - mount is for the 3Q0 camera.:cry:

(And oh, by the way, while the mirror is in the same position as the one off my car, the larger trim piece that covers the camera area means that my mirror doesn't fit; I need a 3G0857511AC, not my current 5G0857511. So, yay. ?)

I didn't leave the camera in the car for them to dry-fit, and it's so far "off-book" what I was asking for, that I have to wear the responsibility for that one.

So now, I have a 3Q0 camera on order from Aliexpress; given that I don't have the hardware to parameterize it (I'm assuming it's going to arrive "naked", so it'll need a firmware flash...unless someone here with experience says that they did NOT need that(?)), I think my first course of action is going to be to see if I can take the camera module/circuit board from the 5Q0 camera and just direct--swap it over to the 3Q0 housing. In opening up the 5Q0 to get a sense of the layout, I'm mildly optimistic that I'll be able to do the swap.

If not...well, let's just say that a VAG-CAN PRO cable/subscription was recently added to my Xmas wish list. :)

Last edited: